Author Topic: Gremlins i.e. Weird issue in my jeep  (Read 3277 times)

JTHunter

• friends
Re: Gremlins i.e. Weird issue in my jeep
« Reply #50 on: March 17, 2024, 04:19:20 PM »
The only 4x4 I ever had was an '82 Toyota p/u with the 22R engine.  It finally threw a rod at about 190K and got "retired".  About the last 50K on that truck, it had a cracked block that a friend helped me drop the oil pan and patch a curved 4"+ crack under the #4 cylinder.  Despite not holding, the JB Weld slowed the oil loss to a qt. every 4-500 miles.  That truck got so old (15 years) that the floor panels on BOTH sides developed fist-sized holes behind both of the front tires.  Never had any mechanical problems other than the cracked block and a cracked exhaust pipe at the flange that bolted it to the manifold.  We ended up having to weld that sucker twice but it worked.
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #51 on: March 17, 2024, 04:30:47 PM »
Imagine my surprise when I learned that all voltage regulation for the F-350 goes through the dash. The faulty solder dash. Some internet rando makes a good living resoldering them. Many problems solved.

My little ford focus, no power in even 1st gear, glowing pipe ahead of the cat, all manner of fuel and air codes. Simple fix, fuel filter.

So many systems interconnected and if it is with the powertrain the computer tries to tune itself out of trouble. I think the next car is going to eat hay.

What almost all owners and hell almost all mechanics don’t get is you have to have a true knowledge of how the systems operate and relate to each other and approach problems holistically.

Being one of the ones who understands this enabled me to specialize in diagnostics and effective repair.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #52 on: March 17, 2024, 07:15:10 PM »
What almost all owners and hell almost all mechanics don’t get is you have to have a true knowledge of how the systems operate and relate to each other and approach problems holistically.

Being one of the ones who understands this enabled me to specialize in diagnostics and effective repair.

Always back to the basics, fuel air spark, draw a picture of what you think k the power flow in a system is etc. Trace everything back starting with the simple stuff. Being a lazy troubleshooter I often rely on the idea that if is common equipment I am probably not the first victim.  Google!
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.