Author Topic: Trailer Harness?  (Read 1453 times)

zahc

• friend
Trailer Harness?
« on: March 26, 2019, 01:03:52 PM »
I have a Chrysler minivan with a Curt hitch receiver, but no wiring for a trailer. I want to rent a little utility trailer from Sunbelt. What kind of wiring do I need? Are they universal or does it depend on the trailer?
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Re: Trailer Harness?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2019, 01:41:10 PM »
95% without brakes are going to be the flat 4 pin.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2019, 02:38:53 PM »
Go to someplace like etrailer.com Amazon or eBay and search for your specific vehicle 4 pole harness. Simple to install and usually pretty cheap.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2019, 02:42:55 PM »
Charby and Kingcreek said it all.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2019, 03:53:52 PM »
You can find the harness adapter for many of the more popular, current vehicles in the auto electronics aisle at Walmart.

I would call the rental place and ask them if their trailers (of the size and type you want) use a 4-pin or 7-pin connection.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2019, 06:14:11 PM »
Another vote for harness adapter. Too many places still do the "Them 'dapters don't work a'tall. Lemme butcher the crap outta your wiring harness and garntee you'll have a lifetime of electrical problems, instead!"

Couple years ago I spent the better part of an afternoon unf***ing the gawdaful mess a "perfeshnul" trailer hitch installer made of Dad's truck. Rather than use a $20 adapter that would have worked perfectly, he butchered the wiring harness to the point that not only nothing worked, it blew out both tail lights if you used the cigarette lighter while the trailer harness was connected. (Smart, no, but infinitely impressive in terms of creative incompetence.)

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2019, 06:48:24 PM »
Yeah the adapters just plug into the existing wiring. Splicing wires is redneck evil..
What we have here is failure to communicate.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2019, 06:49:56 PM »
For long-term flexibility, I suggest getting a plug-in harness for a 7-wire connection, then buy an adapter for 7-pin to 4-pin. That way your vehicle is set up for any type of trailer you might use, at any time in the future.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2019, 07:08:02 PM »
It ought to be legal to shoot people who do shitty electrical work. It takes the same amount of time or less to do it correctly vs *expletive deleted*it work.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2019, 07:40:32 PM »
For long-term flexibility, I suggest getting a plug-in harness for a 7-wire connection, then buy an adapter for 7-pin to 4-pin. That way your vehicle is set up for any type of trailer you might use, at any time in the future.

7 wire means he'll need to install a brake controller and everything that goes with that.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2019, 10:25:02 PM »
7 wire means he'll need to install a brake controller and everything that goes with that.

No it doesn't. My Cherokee came from the factory with a 7-wire receptacle, and an adapter to step it down to 4-wire for smaller trailers. No brake controller. The 7-wire just means it can handle a trailer that has separate brake lights and turn signals.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2019, 08:52:23 AM »
No it doesn't. My Cherokee came from the factory with a 7-wire receptacle, and an adapter to step it down to 4-wire for smaller trailers. No brake controller. The 7-wire just means it can handle a trailer that has separate brake lights and turn signals.

Doesn't work that way, your vehicle is probably prewired for a brake controller to be installed under the dash.

See https://www.curtmfg.com/towing-electrical-wiring

Uranus is a gas giant.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2019, 09:22:27 AM »

I would submit that any trailer that requires a 7 pin connector should not be hooked up to the Chrysler minivan mentioned in the OP

ETA:  Just a note, I looked at some of the available wiring harnesses, and at some point around 2010 (ish) it looks like Chrysler went to a more digital light system where brake and turn signal power is on the same wire, and the trailer light harnesses seem to require a powered converter box to go from the integrated vehicle system to the more analog trailer lighting.  These are twice as expensive.  You should plug your exact model and year into something like etrailer.com and see what you need.  Example of $50 trailer light harness with electronic wizardry.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2019, 09:35:04 AM by dogmush »

zahc

• friend
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2019, 07:36:33 PM »

I bought one of these. Walmart had a similar universal one for $20, but you had to splice wiring to install it.

Curt Manufacturing 56331 Black Custom Wiring Harness https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074H6GPZ2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_se-MCbMZSGDJ0
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2019, 09:35:55 AM »
I bought one of these. Walmart had a similar universal one for $20, but you had to splice wiring to install it.

Curt Manufacturing 56331 Black Custom Wiring Harness https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074H6GPZ2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_se-MCbMZSGDJ0

I'd swap the fuse out for a 12 volt circuit breaker of similar amperage.

Uranus is a gas giant.