Author Topic: NEW YORK STATE RIFLE & PISTOL ASSN., INC. V. CITY OF NEW YORK (Supreme Court )  (Read 3221 times)

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
https://www.scotusblog.com/2019/12/argument-analysis-justices-focus-on-mootness-in-challenge-to-now-repealed-new-york-city-gun-rule/#more-290537

Well, I hope i am dead wrong, but i wouldn't be surprised if scotus moots the case.
This certainly has me on pins and needles, it would be so nice to visit my home town and not worry about
a couple yrs in prison for enjoying a basic civil right

Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Unisaw

• friend
Thanks for posting that link.  Surely Ginsburg and Sotomayor realize that the law was unconstitutional and are just trying to avoid an opinion stating that.
Well, if you have the sudden urge to lick your balls you'll know you got the veterinary version... K Frame

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
Thanks for posting that link.  Surely Ginsburg and Sotomayor realize that the law was unconstitutional and are just trying to avoid an opinion stating that.

True.  Also, if declared moot, it opens the possibility that other anti-factions as well as NY, can repeat the strategy of "pulling" new unconstitutional laws before they are actually declared unconstitutional.

Thus, the harassment of lawful gun owners can continue, one "new law" after another, using this ploy.

So I hope they decide to hear the case, even if it just comes out as a declaratory judgment.

Terry

MechAg94

• friend
I thought they already had an opportunity to declare it moot when they decided to take the case.  There is a good argument that was the only reason they dropped that law.  Not to mention that other politicritters in New York threatened to enforce the same ban in other ways.  I just can't see them taking no action on the case if they decided to hear the case in the first place. 

Of course, even if they make a decision, it doesn't mean it will be the decision we want.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
True.  Also, if declared moot, it opens the possibility that other anti-factions as well as NY, can repeat the strategy of "pulling" new unconstitutional laws before they are actually declared unconstitutional.

Thus, the harassment of lawful gun owners can continue, one "new law" after another, using this ploy.

So I hope they decide to hear the case, even if it just comes out as a declaratory judgment.

Terry

They'll take a cue from Illinois, and make being an FFL so onerous that there will be few sources.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Pb

• friend
Tom Gresham from gun talk was there.  His comments were interesting.  He thought the Supremes would take the case.

There were a bunch of anti-gunners there.

Very few pro-gunners. 

https://www.facebook.com/guntalkmedia/videos/575576292984748/

gunsmith

• friend
Tom Gresham from gun talk was there.  His comments were interesting.  He thought the Supremes would take the case.

There were a bunch of anti-gunners there.

Very few pro-gunners. 

https://www.facebook.com/guntalkmedia/videos/575576292984748/

darn, i was hoping for a huge turnout for freedoms side.
if i was back east i would have made it.
i listen to guntalk on occasion , its a great radio show, Tom gets it
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

MechAg94

• friend
It never occured to me to even try, but I am pretty far away and don't travel much anyway. 

I would be curious how many of the anti-gunners were paid people who work for the anti-gun orgs nearby. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
Very few pro-gunners. 

... because most of us have jobs.
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
jobs and real lives.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

MechAg94

• friend
I can see going to local events like our state house in Austin, but going to D.C. just for something like that is out of the question. 

There might be a trip to Austin in the future.  Our Gov stopped just short of anti-gun talk after the Santa Fe school shooting and our Lt. Gov has dang near gone anti-gun.  We will see what happens when we get around to the next legislative session. 

gunsmith

• friend
Heller and McDonald had huge progun crowds, maybe NYRPA should have had our hero Alan Gura represent.

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
... because most of us have jobs.

Oh, the other side also work. They are employed by Bloomberg, Soros, etc to show up for stuff like this.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

MechAg94

• friend
The Supreme Court sent the case back to a lower court for the NYSRPA to raise the issue of whether it is entitled to damages over the unconstitutionality of the old rule.
Was there anything in the dismissal ruling that prevents them from simply passing a new law doing the same thing? 

MechAg94

• friend
So now there are dozens of 2nd amendment cases all of the country that will continue because they won't rule on that issue.

p12

• friend
  • I SEE NOISES!!
Alito was not pleased by the dismissal.

Alito dissent blasts NYC gun law, as Supreme Court punts on highly charged case

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/alito-dissent-gun-supreme-court

Explore the Fox News apps that are right for you at http://www.foxnews.com/apps-products/index.html.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
This is a bad precedent. Now when an unconstitutional law is challenged and brought to the supreme court, all they have to do is change part to avoid being struck down.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Hawkmoon

• friend
Was there anything in the dismissal ruling that prevents them from simply passing a new law doing the same thing?  

No. Therein lies the problem.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Hawkmoon

• friend
Alito was not pleased by the dismissal.

Alito dissent blasts NYC gun law, as Supreme Court punts on highly charged case

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/alito-dissent-gun-supreme-court

Explore the Fox News apps that are right for you at http://www.foxnews.com/apps-products/index.html.

From the article:

"We remain concerned that a number of Justices appear to have an appetite to expand gun rights at the risk of Americans’ rights to enact the gun laws they want and need," Brady United President Kris Brown said in a statement. "Brady remains determined and vigilant in our fight for Americans’ right to live, and self-determination on public safety issues, a fight which is far from over."

Talk about putting a reverse spin on an argument! The RKBA supposedly guaranteed by the Second Amendment could hardly be any more expansive than it is. "Shall not be infringed" doesn't leave much room for expansion. So all this clap-trap about "expanding" gun rights is just that ... it's clap-trap. The problem is that the gun grabbers are afraid of losing the ground they have gained in their quest to overturn the Constitution.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

gunsmith

• friend

I am extremely angry and disappointed.
Born and raised in NYC and the surrounding area, i had hoped to visit again before I die.
I refuse to visit a state where I can'y even have my gun in my car!
I am just beyond disgusted.
I try to maintain civility, its getting more and more difficult

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
D. All of the above.