Author Topic: The 2020 Circus - All of the clowns, all of the time  (Read 104687 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: The 2020 Circus - All of the clowns, all of the time
« Reply #775 on: April 16, 2020, 04:11:21 PM »
Face coverings in public will be a big part of getting back to normal.  Don't be shocked when it includes temperature checks to go into some locations.

What do you mean "don't be shocked"? I've already had a couple of people tell me they've run into this. Doesn't seem to be any big secret.

I think the face coverings will mainly be needed by the comedians who've been cracking wise about millions of Americans losing their jobs. You won't want to be recognized, I think.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #776 on: April 16, 2020, 04:24:17 PM »
I can't help but object to both.

Not that I'm against you wearing a mask if you make that choice. I just don't think I can I accept being told by government to cover my face, especially not in summer temperatures.

And everyone should object to it, when it's by executive order, and with such heavy fines.

What are you prepared to do about it?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #777 on: April 16, 2020, 04:40:15 PM »

I'm not sure. You have any ideas?

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #778 on: April 16, 2020, 05:57:32 PM »
In the grocery store today (Chicago burbs) about half of the folks were wearing masks.

I'm using a bandanna when I go as I have no masks. It goes in the laundry after one use.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #779 on: April 16, 2020, 06:05:07 PM »
In the grocery store today (Chicago burbs) about half of the folks were wearing masks.

I'm using a bandanna when I go as I have no masks. It goes in the laundry after one use.

I have two N95 masks; I alternate them.  I wear the mask, when I get home I wash my hands (probably an unnecessary step), take off the mask and spray it with Lysol and put it away, wash hands again.  My mom made me a bunch of washable masks with 4 thicknesses of bed sheet material, but I'll reuse the real N95's for a while.
"It's good, though..."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #780 on: April 16, 2020, 06:07:11 PM »
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #781 on: April 16, 2020, 06:54:58 PM »
I can't help but object to both.

Not that I'm against you wearing a mask if you make that choice. I just don't think I can I accept being told by government to cover my face, especially not in summer temperatures.

And everyone should object to it, when it's by executive order, and with such heavy fines.

Uh-huh.  The gov will tell you you must wear a mask, but strolling around with yer drawers down below yer buns is quite alright.
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #782 on: April 17, 2020, 08:43:16 AM »

Talk big from behind a keyboard.  Grumble about it.  Wear a mask without admitting it on APS.  Am I getting warmer?
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #783 on: April 17, 2020, 10:20:28 AM »
Talk big from behind a keyboard.  Grumble about it.  Wear a mask without admitting it on APS.  Am I getting warmer?

I'd also guess: anonymously report his neighbors for violation.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #784 on: April 17, 2020, 10:27:26 AM »
I'd also guess: anonymously report his neighbors for violation.

Really??  Do you honestly think anyone here would do that?  (for any issue, not  just related to what's going on now) 
"It's good, though..."

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #785 on: April 17, 2020, 10:35:44 AM »
Jamis and RKL, do you have specific criticisms of what fistful has actually said instead of petulant strawman accusations?  It doesn't strike me as particularly absurd - especially on APS - to say that there are some good things that the government still shouldn't be empowered to arbitrarily enforce with criminal penalties.

fistful, I know Jamis has done a terrible job of showing any concern or empathy for people outside his own highly protected economic bubble, but do you really think he doesn't care at all about people who typically live paycheck to paycheck and have not been able to work for a month or two, and probably have no prospects of returning to work any time soon?  He clearly prioritizes anything that he thinks might help with fighting infection rates, and to be fair to you it does not help the way he sarcastically dismisses anyone who doesn't toe the same line, but I don't think he is as blind to the direct and immediate and lasting economic pain as he might seem.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #786 on: April 17, 2020, 10:52:37 AM »
jamis, RKL; you two ladies are not quite the idea factory I was hoping for.

Also, should I wear a mask while I'm talking big on my keyboard and reporting my neighbors?

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #787 on: April 17, 2020, 11:01:07 AM »
jamis, RKL; you two ladies are not quite the idea factory I was hoping for.

Also, should I wear a mask while I'm talking big on my keyboard and reporting my neighbors?

Yes, just like this:

A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #788 on: April 17, 2020, 11:10:40 AM »
Who knew that the clowns were gonna be here at APS?   =(  I don't like the turn this thread has taken.
"It's good, though..."

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #789 on: April 17, 2020, 11:56:55 AM »
Who knew that the clowns were gonna be here at APS?   =(  I don't like the turn this thread has taken.

The circus is over, so I guess we may as well lock this one.

There are other places where we can decide who is the true heir to Patrick Henry.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #790 on: April 17, 2020, 12:21:14 PM »
I think it has only just begun
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #791 on: April 17, 2020, 12:52:44 PM »
I think it has only just begun

Maybe, but that would be a whole different circus.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #792 on: April 17, 2020, 12:56:41 PM »
Maybe, but that would be a whole different circus.

Same circus, they just pull up their tents and move to another town from time to time.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Hawkmoon

• friend
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #794 on: April 17, 2020, 01:50:38 PM »
https://babylonbee.com/news/cricket-gives-report-on-biden-allegations
Cricket In CNN Newsroom Gives Detailed Report On Biden Allegations

The cricket chirped for a full three minutes, representing the full extent of the coverage that viewers would receive over Biden's sexual assault accusations. When he had finished chirping, they moved the cricket back into his cage for the next time they needed a detailed report on a Democratic scandal. The cricket was very busy during the Obama years.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #795 on: April 17, 2020, 03:59:11 PM »
Jamis and RKL, do you have specific criticisms of what fistful has actually said instead of petulant strawman accusations?  It doesn't strike me as particularly absurd - especially on APS - to say that there are some good things that the government still shouldn't be empowered to arbitrarily enforce with criminal penalties.

fistful, I know Jamis has done a terrible job of showing any concern or empathy for people outside his own highly protected economic bubble, but do you really think he doesn't care at all about people who typically live paycheck to paycheck and have not been able to work for a month or two, and probably have no prospects of returning to work any time soon?  He clearly prioritizes anything that he thinks might help with fighting infection rates, and to be fair to you it does not help the way he sarcastically dismisses anyone who doesn't toe the same line, but I don't think he is as blind to the direct and immediate and lasting economic pain as he might seem.

My criticism is that he's inferring it's time to go electric boogaloo.  So yes, I was being a little strawman about it.  Part of me would like to see some money where the mouth is moments from that type of talk.

And we're at the tipping point where social distancing has slowed and has or will peak the virus cases and deaths in many areas.  So the road ahead means that most have a higher chance of suffering financial ruin than any direct impact of the virus.  We could potentially enter into an actual depression.  I have friends losing jobs and businesses, so I'm quite directly sympathetic to that.
I've said before, it's a damned if they do and damned if the don't moment.  Kill a million citizens or crater the economy.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #796 on: April 17, 2020, 04:11:54 PM »
See, I was sure you weren't really as cavalier about the crushing economic burden the virus response has caused for some people as you've come across in some of your posts when addressing people who have expressed concern about it.

My criticism is that he's inferring it's time to go electric boogaloo.  So yes, I was being a little strawman about it.  Part of me would like to see some money where the mouth is moments from that type of talk.
I must have completely and utterly missed that implication from fistful.  Could you point to where he hinted at that?

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #797 on: April 17, 2020, 04:18:59 PM »
See, I was sure you weren't really as cavalier about the crushing economic burden the virus response has caused for some people as you've come across in some of your posts when addressing people who have expressed concern about it.
I must have completely and utterly missed that implication from fistful.  Could you point to where he hinted at that?

I just don't think I can I accept being told by government to cover my face, especially not in summer temperatures.

To be honest it's probably just the way I read it, and his subsequent statements, at the time. Because coming back to it, it's really not boogaloo quality. But I still count it as keyboard tough talk.
JD

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #798 on: April 17, 2020, 06:02:41 PM »

To be honest it's probably just the way I read it, and his subsequent statements, at the time. Because coming back to it, it's really not boogaloo quality. But I still count it as keyboard tough talk.

???  I didn't know that "objecting" to things was tough guy talk. I didn't know that "I just don't think I can accept" was tough guy talk. If anything, the latter has more to do with my being a wimp about heat and humidity.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #799 on: April 17, 2020, 10:17:29 PM »

I've said before, it's a damned if they do and damned if the don't moment.  Kill a million citizens or crater the economy.

That pretty well sums it up. The corollary is that, regardless of which way the President or any state's governor goes, half the population will say it's the wrong decision. Trump might as well just flip a coin.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design