Author Topic: Should atheists, agnostics, etc. be allowed to have children?  (Read 33506 times)

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
Should atheists, agnostics, etc. be allowed to have children?
« on: February 12, 2007, 06:57:25 AM »
This also includes people who are not members of your particular religous sect.

Blog under construction

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
Re: Should atheists, agnostics, etc. be allowed to have children?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2007, 06:58:15 AM »
Answer to the thread title question: no.
Answer to the thread body question: yes.
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2007, 07:40:06 AM »
Yes

Why shouldn't they be allowed to have children?
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2007, 07:42:36 AM »
Yes, of course they should. As Jefferson said, for a neighbor to say that there are many gods or no gods neither picks your pocket nor breaks your leg. Nor does any of it preclude love for children. Some people freely admit they don't know what's behind the universe, if anything, and some say it's only science and math and logic. So? What business is it of yours? It's not.

To anyone who says "no", who the hell would you have enforce that? The government? Allowed? Are you kidding? ALLOWED? NOT ALLOWED?  angry Anyone who tried to enforce that, well...that's one of the reasons I'm armed, as that's the sort of thing that'd call for the immediate and complete removal of an unjust power.

And I've never heard of secular sorts denying their children care, fatally, because they believed in "faith healing" instead.

Ezekiel

• friend
  • Intellectual Masturbationist
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2007, 07:54:57 AM »
"Uh, yeah."

Basing an individual's parental credibility on whether they are "high and mighty with a self-righteously religous aura" is going to leave us with a bunch of Fred Phelps-types or, worse, those who -- by Divine Right -- believe they are in positions to judge.

Preachers, Laymen, Evangelicals, Rabbis, Shaman, Ministers, Cardinals, clergy, self-styled prophets, and/or religous hedonists don't require any additional reason to believe they are special: for them, it's all-encompassing to begin with.  Determining who is worthy of the Rights of Humanity comes natural to such delusion.
Zeke

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2007, 08:26:08 AM »
This is America. Everyone here is supposed to be equal, enough said.

If it happen here in America where certain only people can have children then the masses need to exercise their Second Amendment rights.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

wingnutx

• friend
  • Danish Cartoonist
    • http://www.punk-rock.com
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2007, 08:26:32 AM »
Yes, I should be allowed to have children.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2007, 08:28:44 AM »
Should I pretend I don't know why you asked this question?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2007, 08:29:47 AM »
I was thinking along the same lines, fistful.
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

The Rabbi

• friend
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2007, 08:42:54 AM »
Atheists and agnostics are obviously immoral people, at best amoral.  The biggest killers of the 20th century were not religiously-based but were actually atheistic philosophies.  Allowing children to be brought up in that kind of environment is bad for society as a whole.  Ergo they shouldnt have any.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2007, 08:48:31 AM »
Atheists and agnostics are obviously immoral people, at best amoral.  The biggest killers of the 20th century were not religiously-based but were actually atheistic philosophies.  Allowing children to be brought up in that kind of environment is bad for society as a whole.  Ergo they shouldnt have any.

"Gott Mit Uns"...WHO had that on their belt buckles? GOD F-ing WITH US? Huh? Huh?  angry WHAT WERE THE PEOPLE who flew the planes into the towers on 9/11 doing it based on? FAITH! In their GOD. The power of FAITH is blood running in the streets in the Crusades, dead natives at the feet of Spanish conquistadors, twisted metal in NYC, shouts of "god is great" before suicide bombers blow themselves up, and Fred Phelps' "GOD HATES F_GS" signs outside soldier's funerals. THERE is your FAITH. Soaked in bloody, murderous delusions and HATE.

And to be blunt with you..you, or anyone who would actually stand in the way of an American's right to have children, one of the most BASIC human rights...anyone who would do that is an evil, immoral hypocrite that is using their self-righteous religiosity to excuse evil.

I am SICK of religiosity hypocrites excusing their horrible behavior and lack of respect for others due to their "faith", be they Muslim fanatics or Christianity fanatics who mistake themselves for actual Christians. Would Jesus Christ as he's written have espoused such a disgusting denial of rights? Would he?

And ANY who would actually physically deny such rights to other human beings, if they did so, justice would need to be served by any means of resistance and defeat necessary!

BrokenPaw

• friends
  • Sedit qvi timvit ne non svccederet.
    • ShadowGrove Interpath Ministry
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2007, 08:52:29 AM »
Quote from: dictionary.com
a·mor·al      /eɪˈmɔrəl, æˈmɔr-, eɪˈmɒr-, æˈmɒr-/ Pronunciation Key -
adjective
2.   having no moral standards, restraints, or principles; unaware of or indifferent to questions of right or wrong: a completely amoral person.

Quote from: The Rabbi
Atheists and agnostics are obviously immoral people, at best amoral.
You assert that people who do not subscribe to Deity have no moral standards, restraints, or principles?  That they are unaware of or are indifferent to questions of right or wrong?

Please support this position.  Use facts.  Refrain from ad hominem.

-BP

Seek out wisdom in books, rare manuscripts, and cryptic poems if you will, but seek it also in simple stones and fragile herbs and in the cries of wild birds. Listen to the song of the wind and the roar of water if you would discover magic, for it is here that the old secrets are still preserved.

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2007, 08:54:35 AM »
This should be fun.  Who wants popcorn?  grin

So as I understand your stated position Rabbi, atheists/agnostics can't have kids, but Pagans, Hindus, etc. can?
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2007, 08:58:19 AM »
This should be fun.  Who wants popcorn?  grin

So as I understand your stated position Rabbi, atheists/agnostics can't have kids, but Pagans, Hindus, etc. can?

Oh, don't forget that by his logic, an agnostic is somehow less moral than a Good Christianist (I don't even call them Christian, 'cause they're not) who tells their kids to hate Jews, or a Muslim who is proud that their kid want to blow themselves up for jihad!

Try that one!

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2007, 09:02:54 AM »
You guys can't see that chain in Rabbi's hand?  He's yanking on it.   smiley

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2007, 09:11:15 AM »
It depends. 

Does this particular form of atheism prevent the atheists from procreating on their own, or will they require intervention from the state to become parents? 

Is this particular form of atheism liable to harm the child?

(How is this question any different from the other "Should XYZ be allowed to have children?" questions y'all have been discussing lately?)

BrokenPaw

• friends
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2007, 09:18:16 AM »
Does this particular form of atheism prevent the atheists from procreating on their own?
And, more importantly, whose name do they shout while they're trying?  "Darwin!  Darwin!"?   grin

-BP
Seek out wisdom in books, rare manuscripts, and cryptic poems if you will, but seek it also in simple stones and fragile herbs and in the cries of wild birds. Listen to the song of the wind and the roar of water if you would discover magic, for it is here that the old secrets are still preserved.

Art Eatman

• friend
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2007, 09:41:18 AM »
Only reason we have all these religious people is that they can't connect two events that are nine months apart.  They think from sabbath to sabbath, is all.

Cheesy, Art
The American Indians learned what happens when you don't control immigration.

richyoung

• friend
  • bring a big gun
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2007, 09:47:09 AM »

"Gott Mit Uns"...WHO had that on their belt buckles? GOD F-ing WITH US? Huh? Huh?  angry

Yeah, they also had 'Arbeit macht frie" above the gate to Dachau....don't confuse the advertising with the facts - the Nazi's were godless ghouls who were more than willing to pay lip service to the anti-semitic fringe of Christianity...or Islam, for that matter.  Hey, they were good enough for Mahatma Ghandi!

WHAT WERE THE PEOPLE who flew the planes into the towers on 9/11 doing it based on? FAITH! In their GOD. The power of FAITH is blood running in the streets in the Crusades, dead natives at the feet of Spanish conquistadors, twisted metal in NYC, shouts of "god is great" before suicide bombers blow themselves up, and Fred Phelps' "GOD HATES F_GS" signs outside soldier's funerals. THERE is your FAITH. Soaked in bloody, murderous delusions and HATE.

Cambodia, Vietnam, Cuba, Korea, Red China, Soviet Union, Hungarian Uprising, Chzechoslavakian Uprising, Invasion of Afghanistan, Cultural Revolution - over 100 million dead in less than a century - the ABSENCE of religion seems to have no shortage of ..."bloody, murderous delusions and HATE".

And to be blunt with you..you, or anyone who would actually stand in the way of an American's right to have children, one of the most BASIC human rights...anyone who would do that is an evil, immoral hypocrite that is using their self-righteous religiosity to excuse evil.

Garch.   I thought the knock on CHristians was that they tried to talk women out of having abortions - which seems to me to be the OPPOSITE of what we are talking about.  What "Christians" are publically holding forth this opinion?  References, please....

I am SICK of religiosity hypocrites excusing their horrible behavior and lack of respect for others due to their "faith", be they Muslim fanatics or Christianity fanatics who mistake themselves for actual Christians. Would Jesus Christ as he's written have espoused such a disgusting denial of rights? Would he?

Has anyone?  Have they?  Again, references, please...

Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't...

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2007, 10:01:41 AM »
I never thought I could call Rabbi or Bogie Trolls..... grin
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Laurent du Var

• friends
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2007, 10:15:16 AM »
My god just told me : No, but if it happens anyway you can invite them over to play with your children...
Vada a bordo, Cazzo!

Hugh Damright

• friend
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2007, 10:18:50 AM »

Sure ... as long as they aren't homosexuals.

The Rabbi

• friend
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2007, 11:03:19 AM »

Sure ... as long as they aren't homosexuals.

All atheists are homosexuals.  You know that.

BrokenPaw

• friends
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2007, 11:07:25 AM »
All atheists are homosexuals.  You know that.
Does this mean that all agnostics are bisexual?

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2007, 11:09:52 AM »
Some agnostics are not sure of their sexual orientation.  Others claim it is not possible to know one's sexual orientation. 

Regardless, the only sure way to keep agnostics, atheists and Oprah fans from abusing children is to kill them all.