Author Topic: Just no. Stop it.  (Read 1162 times)

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Just no. Stop it.
« on: March 29, 2019, 02:28:44 AM »
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: Just no. Stop it.
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2019, 02:40:13 AM »
Not just "No!", but "[Expletive deleted] no!"

They need to go out in the woods and kill small large mammals with their bare hands...

Or chop down a tree -- with an axe. Or build a shed, or rotate the tires on their Prius. Engage in some toxic masculinity, fer cryin' out loud.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2019, 04:57:41 AM »
Go to Uncle Ted's place and hunt wild boar with a pointy stick and a K-Bar!
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2019, 05:43:02 AM »
Ain’t no way I’m motorcycle holding any of you.

ETA...Especially Mike.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2019, 08:05:05 AM by adively »
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2019, 06:03:40 AM »
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2019, 09:26:10 AM »
I saw a show once about a guy who runs a small shop that rebuilds motorcycles and it is essentially therapy for recent veterans (PTSD) to show up and work on the bikes and hang out with the other guys.  One of the newer guys said he knew nothing about motorcycles when he showed up, but he learned.  Productive, hands-on work while hanging out with friends sounds like better therapy to me.

However, it sounds like these guys are dealing with other types of trauma.  If it truly works for them, good for them.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2019, 09:36:21 AM »
I saw a show once about a guy who runs a small shop that rebuilds motorcycles and it is essentially therapy for recent veterans (PTSD) to show up and work on the bikes and hang out with the other guys.  One of the newer guys said he knew nothing about motorcycles when he showed up, but he learned.  Productive, hands-on work while hanging out with friends sounds like better therapy to me.

However, it sounds like these guys are dealing with other types of trauma.  If it truly works for them, good for them.

They were on an episode of Mike Rowe's Returning the Favor.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2019, 09:51:49 AM »
Control the language, control the society.

Frame all adjustment problems in terms of "toxic" masculinity.

So now masculinity in general is toxic.

That characteristic which makes us climb mountains or drill through them, which develops new cultivation systems for the stay-at-homes, which is prepared to defend those stay-at-homes from being raped and their kitchens and root cellars picked clean of sustenance.

Yep.  Toxic masculinity.

A man should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.

Remember those "toxic" tasks?  Paraquoted from Heinlein.  Sounds like some of them might be good therapy.

One might argue with specific points, but the general theme is valid.

Masculinity isn't toxic.  Attacking it is.

Terry, 230RN

WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2019, 09:53:23 AM »
Unlike professional cuddling services, which are gaining popularity in cities across the United States, the group charges no fees and members are not required to undergo training.

Wait till the Professional Cuddling Services Union hears about this

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2019, 10:17:05 AM »
Pump iron.

Learn a new skill.

Choose a cause and volunteer your time.

Seek truth and God.

Better yourself.

Cuddling with other men to overcome trauma? Sad, weak and compounding the trauma with humiliation.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2019, 10:17:30 AM »
Or chop down a tree -- with an axe. Or build a shed, or rotate the tires on their Prius. Engage in some toxic masculinity, fer cryin' out loud.

You're assuming these men don't regularly do all these things already. 

Physical contact is vital for each of us as individuals.  If it works for them I will not fault them.
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2019, 10:25:17 AM »

Physical contact is vital for each of us as individuals. 

Both are true statements.

I just don’t really agree with your pragmatic conclusion. That shouldn’t be farmed out to strangers.

It’s sad if these men don’t have friends or family to genuinely experience that comfort from one who knows and loves you.

Build those relationships now in the event you need someone later.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2019, 11:04:11 AM »

Physical contact is vital for each of us as individuals.  If it works for them I will not fault them.

I will. If you won't, I'll take up the slack and do it for you.  =D

Question: What if it doesn't really work for them? What if they are being told that it works and that it will help, but a year or a few years down the road it turns out it didn't help -- or even made their traumas worse by masking them? Or simply traded off one trauma for another?

I'm still going to have to go with "Not just 'No!', but '[Expletive deleted] no!' "
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2019, 11:05:01 AM »

I just don’t really agree with your pragmatic conclusion. That shouldn’t be farmed out to strangers.

It’s sad if these men don’t have friends or family to genuinely experience that comfort from one who knows and loves you.

I get the impression these men aren't strangers.  It is sad if they don't have anywhere else to get affection.  However, this is not unusual in my experience.  Loneliness runs rampant in our modern culture.  And in the minds of many men, sex is the only accepted method of getting (and giving) physical affection.  And fighting . . . .
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2019, 11:12:29 AM »
I will. If you won't, I'll take up the slack and do it for you.  =D

Question: What if it doesn't really work for them? What if they are being told that it works and that it will help, but a year or a few years down the road it turns out it didn't help -- or even made their traumas worse by masking them? Or simply traded off one trauma for another?

I'm still going to have to go with "Not just 'No!', but '[Expletive deleted] no!' "

I hope that if this doesn't work for them they find something that does.  I still won't fault them for trying.  I might find fault in someone that finds the simple act of touching another human being traumatic. 

I don't know what kinds of traumas these men have suffered.  If they're significant traumas I doubt a simple cuddling session, even if frequent, would do much more than offer comfort.  True healing takes work.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2019, 07:28:10 PM »
As I've gotten older, I have friends who I hold dear in my heart. These men I will hug when we meet/part, and I will tell them I love them as well. Mind you, we are all about as far removed from gay as you can get. Would any of us ever CUDDLE? Not unless we were freezing to death! Point being, as we age, we value true friends more and more.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2019, 07:33:02 PM »

The article made mention of abuse as a child being one of the traumas.  That might have an affect on the family relationship if that is the source of the abuse.  I hate to imagine how that could screw someone up.

I mentioned the motorcycle thing as I think there is therapy in working with your hands to build or fix something. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2019, 07:37:04 PM »
They need to go out in the woods and kill small mammals with their bare hands...

I'm pretty sure the squirrels would win that one.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2019, 03:39:30 PM »

Remember those "toxic" tasks?  Paraquoted from Heinlein.  Sounds like some of them might be good therapy.

Terry, 230RN

Better yet, learn those tasks, or do them with, someone who's been there done that in regards to what you're suffering with or haven't healed from, while retaining their masculinity and humanity. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”