Author Topic: Adult Stem Cell Research: Stem cells used for 'natural' boob jobs  (Read 10357 times)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,21210441-36398,00.html#

I think the adult stem cell vs embryonic stem cell research debate has tilted in favor of "adult.*"

Stem cells used for 'natural' boob jobs

By John Stapleton

February 12, 2007 09:06am
Article from: The Australian

WOMEN may be able to undergo a "natural" form of breast enlargement using their own stem cells and fat.
The technique, pioneered in Japan, results in breasts that look and feel smoother than conventional cosmetic surgery using implants.

Stem cells, which have the potential to change into any cells in the body, are found in embryos, but the most plentiful supply in adults is from body fat. When body fat is transferred to the breasts, the stem cells enable the fat to grow its own blood supply, thus becoming an integral part of the breast rather than a foreign object.

Dozens of women in Japan have received the enlargements during trials. This month, German authorities gave approval to the process. Under EU rules, this means that the procedure is now legal throughout Europe, including Britain.

But Australian women may have to wait for the procedure to become widely available because of litigation concerns.

Michael Zacharia, president of the Australasian College of Cosmetic Surgery, said the technique could make the detection of subsequent breast cancer more difficult.

While the procedure "gives a very nice natural result", he said it could be hard to determine whether changes occurring in a breast were as a result of cancer or the fat transfer.

"Medical insurance companies just refuse to cover it," he said.

In a separate development, scientists have unearthed a genetic mutation that gives one in four women a small shield against breast cancer.

This is the first concrete discovery of a common gene linked to the disease, and is the biggest breast cancer find since two rare and high-risk genes were identified a decade ago.

Australian researchers contributed to the international study which found a genetic variation that gives some women a 10 per cent reduced risk of breast cancer.

Everyone has the gene, called Caspase 8, but 25 per cent of women of European descent have a mutated variation which gives them a little protection. And 2 per cent have two variations, giving them twice the defence.

Leader of the Australian research arm, Georgia Chenevix-Trench from the Queensland Institute of Medical Research, said confirmation of a low-risk gene for breast cancer was significant.

It has no immediate implications for women already diagnosed with breast cancer, but Dr Chenevix-Trench said researchers expected to unearth similar genes which women could eventually be screened for.

"After that we can start to think about testing protocols to see whether it's worth identifying women who have multiple variants," Dr Chenevix-Trench said.

The results are published in the journal Nature Genetics.

Additional reporting:

AAP, The Times

*  Adult stem cells have produced several viable treatments and embryonic has produced bupkis.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

mfree

• friend
Re: Adult Stem Cell Research: Stem cells used for 'natural' boob jobs
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2007, 07:28:57 AM »
Where do I sign up for quality control?

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2007, 07:42:33 AM »
Fan-frickin'-tastic.

Ezekiel

• friend
  • Intellectual Masturbationist
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2007, 08:00:08 AM »
Excellent!

Two birds, one stone.

[voiceover] Don't like those thick thighs?  Want a little more, "up top?"

This is going to be on ALL the late night channels...
Zeke

CAnnoneer

• friend
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2007, 08:09:23 AM »
Excellent news. Naturals are best.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2007, 09:01:20 AM »
I don't care how good the imitation is, there will always be connoisseurs who won't settle for anything less than an unaltered original. 

Tongue

Trisha

• friend
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2007, 10:42:40 AM »
Yeah, but they'll still see the effects of gravity and age - good old DuPont silicone enhancements still stand proud even after death from old age.  Okay, maybe that's why you want this new proceedure?  The girl of your dreams might have two less serial numbers/batch lots contributing to that "perfect look?"

After all, you still get to be worried when she sneezes, and while most of her face doesn't move, there's that disconcerting kick from her left leg. . .

grin
and cello sonatas flow through the air. . .

"Diversity is our strength!"

CAnnoneer

• friend
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2007, 11:03:43 AM »
Some sagging is natural and sexy, IMO. The current impossible criteria for perkiness make many augmented women look like Martian bodybuilders. I myself am a proponent of classical beauty - plenty of curves at the right places, including a bit of sag!

SomeKid

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2007, 01:43:43 PM »
CA,

I too support natural beauty. Especially when it comes via my 20 year old female classmates who have nothing better to do than make themselves hot.

Ned Hamford

• friend
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2007, 02:14:39 PM »
CA,

I too support natural beauty. Especially when it comes via my 20 year old female classmates who have nothing better to do than make themselves hot.

I do look foward to summer on the University Campus  grin
Improbus a nullo flectitur obsequio.

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2007, 02:04:03 AM »
Yeah, but they'll still see the effects of gravity and age - good old DuPont silicone enhancements still stand proud even after death from old age.  Okay, maybe that's why you want this new proceedure?  The girl of your dreams might have two less serial numbers/batch lots contributing to that "perfect look?"

After all, you still get to be worried when she sneezes, and while most of her face doesn't move, there's that disconcerting kick from her left leg. . .

grin
Having spent much time in gyms moving iron against gravity, I have seen quite a few fitness gals with pretty much no body fat sporting the mammary equivlent to Glock Fotays (hard, plastic, and unnatural) upstairs.  IMO, the implants look a mite unfriendly.

Call me a traditionalist, but stuffing plastic & silicone where Nature's God never intended it to go is the wrong answer on so many levels (with exception for therapeutic and reconstructive purposes).  The article's procedure seems less risky for gals who want to flaunt some "false advertising."

Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

Ron

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2007, 02:41:34 AM »
This thread is worthless without pics  laugh

brimic

• friends
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2007, 05:42:40 AM »
Cool! They don't have to put any babies in the blender to have larger lifelike tits!
Or be forced to take a lifetime supply of anti-tissue rejection drugs if they did use fetal stem cells.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

tyme

• expat
  • friend
  • Did you know that dolphins are just gay sharks?
    • TFL Library
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2007, 06:34:43 AM »
Quote from: jfruser
*  Adult stem cells have produced several viable treatments and embryonic has produced bupkis.

So... we should give up on all areas of scientific research that have not yet produced mass-marketable results?  Goodbye, civilization.
Support Range Voting.
End Software Patents

"Four people are dead.  There isn't time to talk to the police."  --Sherlock (BBC)

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2007, 09:45:04 AM »
Quote from: jfruser

So... we should give up on all areas of scientific research that have not yet produced mass-marketable results?  Goodbye, civilization.
I do not think any presciptive comments were made in my posts.  You are welcome to read in a novel's worth (as you have, what with the "Goodbye civlization" comment  rolleyes ), though, as this is still America.

But, hey, let's debate what the dearth of progress WRT embryonic stem cell (ESC) treatments, and the increasing number (not just bust size!) of therapeutic uses adult stem cells (ASC) might mean.

I'll go first:
From a betting perspective, a venture capitalist likes to see some results before tossing seed monies at a startup company.  The effect of this may be to starve ESC research of VC monies.  I think this perfectly resonable.  "A bird in the hand beats two in the bush," as it were.

Anybody else?
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

brimic

• friends
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2007, 12:01:50 PM »
Embryonic stem cell research is more about politics than science.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

TMM

• friend
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2007, 12:55:55 PM »
i never got the idea of how bigger is better. no matter how young and perky, big just isn't as good! i'm a medium, middle ground, grey area kinda guy. i don't like 'em too big.

~tmm

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2007, 01:00:53 PM »
I'm with you.  There is such a thing as too big.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2007, 01:45:00 PM »
Before I come to any conclusions I would have to closely examine the results myself. angel
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Nightfall

• friend
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2007, 02:47:25 PM »
As a guy who has yet to see a pair of boobs that are too big, I'd say this is some of the best news I've ever heard.  grin
It is difficult if not impossible to reason a person out of a position they did not reason themselves into. - 230RN

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2007, 09:14:22 PM »
Not just bigger, but more ergonomic:  She could have a second pair grow out the back, to even out the strain on the spine.  That and to make big hugs even better!   grin
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2007, 09:37:21 PM »
Nice posts. I'm sure that Barbara and other females will want to reply.  undecided

CAnnoneer

• friend
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2007, 10:08:39 PM »
Nice posts. I'm sure that Barbara and other females will want to reply.  undecided

Sensitivity training?

HankB

• friend
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2007, 03:41:03 AM »
Stem cells, which have the potential to change into any cells in the body, are found in embryos, but the most plentiful supply in adults is from body fat.
I hate to ruin a good thing but . . . just imagine seeing a donor list that included Rosie O'Donnell . . .  shocked
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2007, 08:31:49 AM »
They're using your own cells, only she should see her own name. 

That said, anyone else getting tired of the too easy and too often made Rosie/Hillary jokes?  Not trying to slam ya Hank but they aren't really "funny" or clever anymore, they're just obvious insults and everyone here agrees that we don't like those two.  What's the point anymore?

Anyway, fetal stem cell research is being done all over the world, not just in the US, and is still being done in the US by private companies with private money.  All that is happening is no tax money is going toward it, which is how it should be, regardless of moral feelings.

As was suggested, if real promise was being shown anywhere it is being researched, venture capital would be climbing all over it to get in on the money when a treatment arises.  If even the speculators aren't backing it (and these folks back anything that might maybe could possibly even someday make a buck) then there probably isn't much there.

If we are going to spend tax money on research on a practical basis we should concentrate on the morally uncontroversial AND demonstrably productive adult cell research.  If the private guys worldwide find a cure with fetal cells we can always jump on board then (though we won't have to, because the private money will flow like water).
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."