Author Topic: Suggesting someone take the stairs instead of the elevator is "fat shaming"  (Read 1699 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
I really don't know what to say here

Signs encouraging students to “Take the stairs and become more fit” and burn calories rather than taking the elevators have recently been removed by the administration per the request of students.

Students first noticed the elevator signs in Bosler Hall which led to more investigations of other locations. The signs had calculations of how many calories a student could lose per day, per year and how many pounds they could lose after four years by choosing to use the stairs instead of elevators.
“These signs were effectively fat shaming as they promoted weight loss as a positive thing,”

"Investigations"   :facepalm:

Dickinson College Students Offended by ‘Fat Shaming’ Signs Suggesting Taking the Stairs
https://www.breitbart.com/tech/2019/03/30/dickinson-college-students-offended-by-fat-shaming-signs-suggesting-taking-the-stairs/

Signs Removed for “Shaming” Concerns
https://thedickinsonian.com/news/2019/03/07/signs-removed-for-shaming-concerns/

« Last Edit: March 30, 2019, 01:22:43 PM by WLJ »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Oh brother. Nothing in the sign even remotely tied to weight. I know plenty of skinny people who have trouble after a flight of stairs and could use the exercise. It specifically said "If physically able".
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
I'll make all fat people a deal:
Eliminate socialized healthcare, and society can stop "fat shaming"
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

zxcvbob

• friend
Oh brother. Nothing in the sign even remotely tied to weight. I know plenty of skinny people who have trouble after a flight of stairs and could use the exercise. It specifically said "If physically able".

So, able-ism then?   :facepalm:
"It's good, though..."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
We need to have a serious, national conversation about shame-shaming.

"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
“These signs were effectively fat shaming as they promoted weight loss as a positive thing,”

vs. being a disgusting fat body as being a good thing?  :facepalm:

If one is fat or even obese, either accept that some folks are going to find it off-putting at least and not worry about how others perceive you, or change your frelling chassis.  Taking a flight of stairs or three, parking at the far end of the parking lot and NOT eating that forth jelly doughnut of the day is not going to kill you. Same for the skinny folk who can eat with abandon yet never move beyond the couch to the car to the desk, but still get out of breath walking around the grocery store.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
The left is anti science, anti reality.

If you look at standards of female beauty throughout history throughout the world some patterns emerge.

Younger, healthy looking, sexually mature with good proportions ie boob/waist/hip ratio.

Men and women come hardwired with preferences. Look at the pretty people in the media if you are confused on what those hardwired standards are.

The most attractive men physically are the ones who would make the best warriors. Women may pursue and marry ugly powerful rich men. They often also cheat on them with the pool boy.

Men may choose a less than physically beautiful mate to raise a family with but if given the opportunity to tag the college age cheerleader down the street many may do it if they are sure they won’t get caught.

There are beautiful people and there is physically beautiful.

Why shouldn’t a culture inspire its people to attain their potential in both forms of beauty?

The ideal, the best, the fulfillment of genetic potentiality is generally considered beautiful.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
The left is anti science, anti reality.

If you look at standards of female beauty throughout history throughout the world some patterns emerge.

Younger, healthy looking, sexually mature with good proportions ie boob/waist/hip ratio.

Men and women come hardwired with preferences. Look at the pretty people in the media if you are confused on what those hardwired standards are.

The most attractive men physically are the ones who would make the best warriors. Women may pursue and marry ugly powerful rich men. They often also cheat on them with the pool boy.

Men may choose a less than physically beautiful mate to raise a family with but if given the opportunity to tag the college age cheerleader down the street many may do it if they are sure they won’t get caught.

There are beautiful people and there is physically beautiful.

Why shouldn’t a culture inspire its people to attain their potential in both forms of beauty?

The ideal, the best, the fulfillment of genetic potentiality is generally considered beautiful.

All of that may be true, but some people don't understand such things. Are you dumb-shaming them?  :mad:
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Jesus Christ... Dickinson is where I got my degree in 1987.

It's bat *expletive deleted*it crazy stuff like this that is why Trump is president.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

fifth_column

• friend
I'm thinking of suing my boss.  Whenever he tells me to "get to work" he's actually "lazy-shaming" me . . . . .
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

Pb

• friend
Given what happened on this forum the last time I said anything about obesity, I'm keeping my mouth shut about this one.   :-X

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Given what happened on this forum the last time I said anything about obesity, I'm keeping my mouth shut about this one.   :-X

Like I said above, this isn't even about obesity - it's about laziness. Crying "fat shaming" is just SWJ dumbassery. If you've got two good legs under you and no physical issues that prevent you from using stairs, use the damn stairs once in a while. It's no different than saying "cut down on the ice cream" or "cut down on the cigarettes". Do it or don't, but don't automatically assign offense to something so inoffensive.

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

dogmush

• friend
Like I said above, this isn't even about obesity - it's about laziness. Crying "fat shaming" is just SWJ dumbassery. If you've got two good legs under you and no physical issues that prevent you from using stairs, use the damn stairs once in a while. It's no different than saying "cut down on the ice cream" or "cut down on the cigarettes". Do it or don't, but don't automatically assign offense to something so inoffensive.

More than that, no one is forcing them to use the stairs. They can take the elevator every time if they want.  These asshiles are complaining that someone suggested they might be healthier if they took the stairs.  They are unable to just ignore a suggestion they don't like.

zxcvbob

• friend
The school framed it wrong; forgot who their audience was.  Should have said to "Take the stairs, stop global warming."  (Where do they think the electricity comes from to power the lift?)
"It's good, though..."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
The school framed it wrong; forgot who their audience was.  Should have said to "Take the stairs, stop global warming."  (Where do they think the electricity comes from to power the lift?)

Ha ha. WE ONLY HAVE 10 YEARS TO LIVE!!!!!

Pb

• friend

Oh no, I'm not falling for that!   :-X

WLJ

• friends
vs. being a disgusting fat body as being a good thing?  :facepalm:

If one is fat or even obese, either accept that some folks are going to find it off-putting at least and not worry about how others perceive you, or change your frelling chassis.  Taking a flight of stairs or three, parking at the far end of the parking lot and NOT eating that forth jelly doughnut of the day is not going to kill you. Same for the skinny folk who can eat with abandon yet never move beyond the couch to the car to the desk, but still get out of breath walking around the grocery store.

Like this?
Popped up on the neighborhood board this morning

https://nextdoor.com/news_feed/?post=107444870

Do you struggle with body image being a plus sized woman? Do you wish to love yourself in your own skin and stop being so embarrassed about your size? Please check out this important new women’s group here in Louisville. If you struggle with body image and self esteem please consider joining! We are a non-diet, body positive , HAES ( health at every size) Meet Up group that will work together to lift each other up and combat the social stigma that only “thin” is beautiful. Self love and care is so important at any size.... and you are not alone!!

On the funny side, could you imagine them jumping into the pool all at the same time?
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

brimic

• friends
Ironically enough, enabling people to be fat is being neglectful of their health- its like enabling an alcoholic or drug addict.
If you have an overweight person in your life that you care about, you should be badgering them to cut the carbs and exercise more.

Yes, I'm a fat bastard.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

zxcvbob

• friend
Like this?
Popped up on the neighborhood board this morning

https://nextdoor.com/news_feed/?post=107444870

On the funny side, could you imagine them jumping into the pool all at the same time?

The link just goes to a sign-on screen.  Can you summarize?
"It's good, though..."

WLJ

• friends
The link just goes to a sign-on screen.  Can you summarize?

Sorry, didn't realize they had it behind the member's only wall

Only thing you're really missing is the photo that goes along with the quote in my post

- Calvin and Hobbes

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Ironically enough, enabling people to be fat is being neglectful of their health- its like enabling an alcoholic or drug addict.
If you have an overweight person in your life that you care about, you should be badgering them to cut the carbs and exercise more.

Best summation of what obesity really is.
We don't all need six packs and a gun show.  But the average american has a body fat percentage up over 30%.  Couple that with lack of exercise and you have obesity related illnesses as the #1 cause of death in the United States, as well as a falling life expectancy for Americans.

The same people that scream "fat shaming!" would happily label guns as a public health crisis.  Guess what? Obesity is a public health crisis that costs the American people over 200 billion a year.

JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
We don't all need six packs and a gun show.  But the average American has a body fat percentage up over 30%.  Couple that with lack of exercise and you have obesity related illnesses as the #1 cause of death in the United States, as well as a falling life expectancy for Americans.

/emphatic cough.

After a good year sabbatical from from the working world to decompress and recharge, I started a new job this week with the largest organization (in number of staff) that I've ever worked for.  Today I had lunch in the cafeteria for the first time.  Passed on the pizza, burger & fries, brats with fixings and even sushi (had that for dinner earlier in the week) for a spinach salad with grilled chicken, olives, eggs & BACON! with a cookie since I'm mucking about with the carb intake/blood glucose levels and how that impact my hearing issues.

Looking about the cafeteria, most of my fellow workers in other departments are on the rotund side of things, or outright frelling obese with the reserves hanging flacid well over the belt.  Now I'm not cut & ripped in any sense, so I rightly have little room to criticize.  I just have to wonder about what happens when the day comes when us GenX'rs become geriatrics and the health systems have crashed & burned from <insert cause of choice>.  Ain't gonna be pretty. 

On a side note, after a week I REALLY miss my daily walks and am a bit amazed about how a work day (not even that strenuous) leaves me more wiped out than pounding out 20+ km/day on my feet ever did.  Guess it speaks to the efficiency of our going about on two legs and why it helped our kind become planetary apex preditors before we learned to tame plants & other animals for our food.   
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.