Author Topic: Putting GOD out of business?  (Read 2860 times)

telewinz

• friend
Putting GOD out of business?
« on: May 10, 2005, 02:30:08 PM »
Just saw a news article on CBS.  Those with severe spinal cord injuries are now being healed by transplanting (their own) nasal stem cells into their spine.  Nasal stem cells regenerate and when place at the location of the spinal injury...in a few months they can start learning how to walk again!  Adult stem cells no less!
Career Corrections

TarpleyG

• friend
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2005, 03:25:13 PM »
This is a good thing and what I think stem cell research should be geared for.  Unfortunately, like everything else in life, some scumbag will try and use it for amoral purposes and thus the fear of allowing it to continue here in the US.  I still think the benefits outweigh the negative concerns.

Greg

telewinz

• friend
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2005, 04:37:17 PM »
I agree 100%
Career Corrections

Sylvilagus Aquaticus

• friend
    • http://profiles.yahoo.com/sylvilagus
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2005, 05:56:27 PM »
If I or a family member had a severe spinal cord injury of this nature, you'd better believe I'd want to be on a short list to at least try it.

As it is now, I'm on a list for gene therapy and a couple of medical trials.

Regards,
Rabbit.
To punish me for my contempt for authority, fate made me an authority myself.
Albert Einstein

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2005, 03:25:01 AM »
Quote from: telewinz
Just saw a news article on CBS.  Those with severe spinal cord injuries are now being healed by transplanting (their own) nasal stem cells into their spine.  Nasal stem cells regenerate and when place at the location of the spinal injury...in a few months they can start learning how to walk again!  Adult stem cells no less!
Wow! Imagine that. They managed to advance stem cell research without sacrificing any fetuses or using government funding!
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

client32

• friend
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2005, 04:05:30 AM »
Quote from: Sergeant Bob
Wow! Imagine that. They managed to advance stem cell research without sacrificing any fetuses or using government funding!
How could that be possible!?
One, I didn't think that anything was possible without govt. money.
Two, wasn't stem cell research banned? :: "we must lift the ban on stem cell research - and do so immediately.  Senator Kerry, Radio Address to the Nation, 8/7/04. Wink

I do know that stem cell research wasn't banned.

Edit to add:

Do you have a link?
Thanks
Admit nothing, deny everything, make counter-accusations - APS homepage 3/4/05 - 5/20/05

Never ask a man where he is from. If he is from Texas he will tell you. If he isn't there's no need to embarass him.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2005, 06:24:46 AM »
Quote from: client32
Quote from: Sergeant Bob
How could that be possible!?
One, I didn't think that anything was possible without govt. money.
Two, wasn't stem cell research banned? :: "we must lift the ban on stem cell research - and do so immediately.  Senator Kerry, Radio Address to the Nation, 8/7/04. Wink

I do know that stem cell research wasn't banned.

Edit to add:

Do you have a link?
Thanks
Here's a Link

I guess they got around the [wink]BAN[wink] by doing it in Portugal, out of reach of the evil George Bush (unless in his quest for world domination, he decides to take over Europe too).
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2005, 01:32:54 PM »
By transplanting my own nasal stem cells? Great, now my back won't just hurt, it'll run, too. Wink

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2005, 12:29:00 AM »
If the transplant is far enough down the spine, you could spend the rest of your life as a brown-noser.  Cheesy
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

Bemidjiblade

• friend
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2005, 05:06:28 AM »
HOORAY!

That's an excellent bit of news about nerve healing.

And as someone opposed to 'harvesting' fetuses etc for stem cells, it's great to see some stem cell research done w/o having to end a life or uses baby bodies or something.

*Does a manly scottish happy dance of joy!*

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2005, 06:58:31 AM »
FWIW, the best results obtained with stem cells have been from adult stem cells, which are not restricted from receiving funding from fed.gov.

You don't hear about adult stem cells much, despite the real progress being made, because it can not be used as a club against the pro-life folks.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

41 Redhawk

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2005, 08:42:12 AM »
Ditto what jfruser said!

client32

• friend
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2005, 10:09:51 AM »
Quote from: jfruser
FWIW, the best results obtained with stem cells have been from adult stem cells, which are not restricted from receiving funding from fed.gov.

You don't hear about adult stem cells much, despite the real progress being made, because it can not be used as a club against the pro-life folks.
I didn't know this.  Thanks.

Good grief.  My biggest complaint about the last election was that people just took the sound bites and what they hear on the media and make a decision.  They don't look into researching the facts.  Now I am guilty.  I knew that research wasn't banned, just new fed.gov money.  I'll go back to my corner and shut up now.

Thanks again for that info.
Admit nothing, deny everything, make counter-accusations - APS homepage 3/4/05 - 5/20/05

Never ask a man where he is from. If he is from Texas he will tell you. If he isn't there's no need to embarass him.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2005, 12:10:49 PM »
Great!  Nasal cells.  I was so hoping that someone wouldn't catch on to that, but leave it to Monkeyleg and Antibubba to beat me to the punch.  I wonder if long hairs will now start to grow out of the areas treated?

Does it mean you'll have to use a kleenex to scratch yer back?  And will yer fingers stick together after doing so?
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

telewinz

• friend
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2005, 04:07:46 PM »
I hear that a supressed sneeze may lead to a humpback!
Career Corrections

Phantom Warrior

• friend
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2005, 05:56:49 PM »
Quote from: jfruser

From what I know fetal stem cells actually have a nasty habit of not differentiating correctly into the desired result.  There are NO treatments even being tested on animals using fetal stem cells.  Whereas there are people today who have been cured using adult stem cell treatments.  A good thing to keep in mind the next time you hear about the progress of science being held back by the "ban" on fetal stem cell research.