Author Topic: Lucky Gunner talks to some ballistics experts about bullet performance.  (Read 951 times)

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
Short, but informative article.

Might cause some gnashing of teeth and rending of garments for some people though.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

Hawkmoon

• friend
So the take-away is that we should all be carrying AR-15s with M193, 55-grain ammunition.

Got it.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
M193 is my standard load.
Kind of hard to conceal a AR-15 and/or in my case also a Tavor though
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
You just need special pants.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
Makes sense.  Can't have that.

With that in mind, peruse the results yourself: https://www.luckygunner.com/labs/self-defense-ammo-ballistic-tests/.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

MechAg94

• friend
Yeah, because those trench coats might cause some suspicion. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

WLJ

• friends

Mag and all
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UK2zQmre8Uw

BTW: The "AK" is actually an AR
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
My take is that lighter and faster is slightly better than heavier and slower (but only just) for a given amount of muzzle energy and bullet design. The faster round will cause more terminal damage due to tearing because of its greater speed in excess of the tissue elasticity threshold.

That said, shot placement is still key.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
My take is that lighter and faster is slightly better than heavier and slower (but only just) for a given amount of muzzle energy and bullet design. The faster round will cause more terminal damage due to tearing because of its greater speed in excess of the tissue elasticity threshold.

That said, shot placement is still key.

Brad

Not my takeaway at all.

My takeaway was that unless your round is as fast as (or faster than) 2200 FPS, shot placement is SIGNIFICANTLY more important than bullet size, speed, or expansion.

So shoot what you can shoot accurately and comfortably.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Not my takeaway at all.

My takeaway was that unless your round is as fast as (or faster than) 2200 FPS, shot placement is SIGNIFICANTLY more important than bullet size, speed, or expansion.

So shoot what you can shoot accurately and comfortably.

This.

This temporary wound cavity as we expand and recover is different when projectiles hit at greater than 2200 feet per second. At that point, it appears we have surpassed the elasticity capability of human tissue and that temporary wound cavity begins tearing at its limits and margins and becomes a permanent wound cavity, which also is a conclusion why people who are center-punched with rifle projectiles typically succumb much quicker than people who are hit with handgun projectiles...

You know, you take, for example, a .44 Magnum, which is a 240-grain projectile coming in the neighborhood of 1400 feet per second. Is that significantly more than, say, a 180-grain projectile at 950 feet per second, your typical .40 cal? Yes, it’s a big difference but it does not seem to translate out into a corresponding amount of damage in a human organism. I believe that is because we expand, we recover from that, it falls within that elasticity threshold. You take, for example, that .44 Magnum, does it make a bigger more significant wound than, say, a .40 cal or a 9mm? Yes, it does, but really not enough to matter to change the outcome of a critical event in those next few seconds at that are crucial. However, at the same time, you launch that little bitty 55-grain pill coming out of an AR-15 at two and a half times the speed of sound and it hits and you see that a radical planar tearing where you have tissue damage five or six inches away from the path of the bullet. That’s what creates that a rapid hemorrhage, the blood pressure drop, the shock setting in, tissue disruption, hopefully in the right location, cardiopulmonary collapse, and things cease, lights go out. And that really seems to be concurrent with the 2,200 feet per second that was discovered by the FBI.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Re: Lucky Gunner talks to some ballistics experts about bullet performance.
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2019, 05:15:23 PM »
Well dang...

I guess these Hornady FTX .500 S&W 300 grainers at 2075 fps just ain't gonna cut it...   :laugh:

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2019, 07:18:37 PM »
Well dang...

I guess these Hornady FTX .500 S&W 300 grainers at 2075 fps just ain't gonna cut it...   :laugh:

Brad

Cut them in half and they will go twice as fast.  Problem solved.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2019, 07:37:09 PM »
Should I worry about .50 BMG? ? ? ? ? ?  ??? [tinfoil]   [tinfoil]...... ;/
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2019, 07:40:26 PM »
Should I worry about .50 BMG? ? ? ? ? ?  ??? [tinfoil]   [tinfoil]...... ;/

Yes

- Calvin and Hobbes

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2019, 07:43:03 PM »
 :rofl:
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero