Author Topic: Foldable Smart Phone  (Read 3440 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: Foldable Smart Phone
« Reply #50 on: April 21, 2019, 02:00:01 PM »
I don't have any desire to walk around with a bluetooth thingie stuck in my ear, like a refugee from the borg. Low power is still power -- I don't want a transceiver in such close proximity to the few functional grey cells I have left. I try not to use my cell phone next to my ear, either. When at home, I always use it on speaker phone and set the phone a few feet away from me. I try to limit my usage as much as possible when I'm out of the house.

Yeah, ear thingies are so 1960s

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #51 on: April 21, 2019, 07:08:16 PM »
I sometimes have to grin when someone talks about the signal strength being too low or the frequency being too high to cause damage as if there were some distinct numerical cutoff for any biological effects, like "327.4 mega Herz" or "82.27 picowatts per square cm."

But there are cutoff points?  Ionizing vs non-Ionizing radiation.  You don't want high frequency, those are the higher energy photons that can actually ionize things and therefore mess up DNA.

However, 2.4 and 5 GHz are both non-ionizing, so the most they do is warm stuff up.  They are on the wrong side of the optical band, they can't ionize anything.

You're getting into the Petahertz, x-rays, about six orders of magnitude higher frequency, before you get direct damage.

Without direct damage, you're basically looking at having to cook things to cause damage, which is where total energy levels come in.  Until you start pushing kilowatts or more, this type of damage is unlikely unless you can somehow focus it as good as a laser.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #52 on: April 21, 2019, 07:33:37 PM »
You are talking Blue Tooth ear bud Transceivers, not wired ear buds, I believe, right? While they ARE Transceivers, they are NOT "miniature cell phones." What they are are Blue Tooth Transceivers and nothing more. The PHONE it is linked to does all the "heavy lifting." The wireless Ear Buds just use very low power BT to send digital sound and button presses to the phone.

My understanding from the first article I read was that these would in effect be "miniature smart phones +". Eventually no need to have a smart phone or other device in Bluetooth range, they'll do everything, possibly via 5G or whatever is out at the time. I would assume you could get visuals via some form of Google glasses that actually work.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #53 on: April 21, 2019, 10:41:20 PM »
But there are cutoff points?  Ionizing vs non-Ionizing radiation.  You don't want high frequency, those are the higher energy photons that can actually ionize things and therefore mess up DNA.

However, 2.4 and 5 GHz are both non-ionizing, so the most they do is warm stuff up.  They are on the wrong side of the optical band, they can't ionize anything.

You're getting into the Petahertz, x-rays, about six orders of magnitude higher frequency, before you get direct damage.

Without direct damage, you're basically looking at having to cook things to cause damage, which is where total energy levels come in.  Until you start pushing kilowatts or more, this type of damage is unlikely unless you can somehow focus it as good as a laser.

Yeah I struck that portion of that post.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #54 on: April 22, 2019, 10:33:24 AM »

I need to get one of these.   =D
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #55 on: April 22, 2019, 07:56:34 PM »
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #56 on: April 24, 2019, 05:33:00 PM »
I have a set of Samsung's second gen earbuds

First gen was plagued fairly badly with low battery life. They took out the S Health stuff (seriously, why does EVERYTHING have to have health tracking stuff in it?), and battery life got better. I use them during workout, plasma donation, or any other time I want to tune the world out
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #57 on: April 24, 2019, 09:46:07 PM »
I have a set of Samsung's second gen earbuds

First gen was plagued fairly badly with low battery life. They took out the S Health stuff (seriously, why does EVERYTHING have to have health tracking stuff in it?), and battery life got better. I use them during workout, plasma donation, or any other time I want to tune the world out

Link? Always looking for good earbuds. Well, cheap ones, anyway.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #58 on: April 24, 2019, 10:08:06 PM »
Probably won't be much longer to where the screen can be rolled up. I imagine at some point we can have tablet sized screens when we need it at the size of a flip phone. All the electronics can be stored together in a small box, and the screen pulls out to the desired length, think like a film canister roll or something.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #59 on: April 24, 2019, 11:39:31 PM »
i cannot enjoy APS unless i am on a good oldfashioned computer/laptop.
but I do like the smartphone, I miss the good old days of relative anonymity.
my writing style is enjoyable and impressive, but now everyone knows I'm an old loser with no money.
in the good old days, I was a genius!
blasted gawsh darn smartphones.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."