Author Topic: Food desert?  (Read 3026 times)

brimic

• friends
Food desert?
« on: April 24, 2019, 10:31:02 AM »
On the way home from work I stopped at a BP station to pick up a bag of chips to munch on. This station is very close to the invisible border between an ‘ok’ neighborhood and ‘blight.’
As the young middle eastern man was ringing me up, a local in the background was yelling at him.
“Are these pizzas really $10?”
“How can you charge us $10 for a pizza? That should be illegal!”
I didn’t catch the rest of what she said, because I was on my way out door, but I’m sure it sounded just as entitled.

Pick and Save is kitty corner cross the street.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Re: Food desert?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2019, 10:34:58 AM »
We paid $ 10 last night at Papa Murphy's for a large Mediterranean herb chicken pizza. #PizzaPrivilege

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2019, 10:39:08 AM »
Was wondering what BP was. "British Petroleum."

Also not sure what you were getting at with the comment about the BP station being near the blighted area and the other party's complaint about the price.  "Charging us," the "us" meaning what?

I will say that things like $10 for a pizza and $250,000 for a two-bedroom cottage convince me that the gooberment's statistics on cost-of-living (i.e., "inflation")  are from Jules Verne land.

« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 11:47:00 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2019, 10:43:46 AM »
$5.00 for the pizza
$5.00 to cover the higher bad neighborhood insurance rate

This is common knowledge but people still scream certain terms when gas is higher in bad neighborhoods.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2019, 10:53:57 AM »

Correct, but the signs don't say "British Petroleum." The signs say "BP." You don't have that brand where you live?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2019, 10:58:10 AM »
Correct, but the signs don't say "British Petroleum." The signs say "BP." You don't have that brand where you live?

I don't think I've ever seen one West of the Rockies.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

brimic

• friends
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2019, 11:34:16 AM »

Also not sure what you were getting at with the comment about the BP station being near the blighted area and the other party's complaint about the price.  "Charging us," the "us" meaning what?

I will say that things like $10 for a pizza and $250,000 for a two-bedroom cottage convince me that the gooberment's statistics on cost-of-living (i.e., "inflation")  are from Jules Verne land.

It's like when people say the price of gold is going up.  What is it now, $1500 a Troy?  All it means is that the value of a dollar has gone down to 1/1500th of an ounce of gold.  I'm not arguing one way or another about returning to a gold standard, just observing relative values over time and peoples' perception thereof.

If you go a few blocks north or west of this intersection, you could pick up a large foursquare or bungalow for under 30k, add another 100k for repairs, and you’ll have a really nice house, criticisms for ‘gentrification’ notwithstanding.
http://archive.jsonline.com/news/milwaukee/thieves-take-homes-stained-glass-windows-worth-20000-b99362316z1-277661921.html

Also, you can buy pizza at Pick and Save for around 3-4/$10 any day of the week...
« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 11:52:00 AM by brimic »

Barack Obama

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2019, 11:45:40 AM »
Hey, now pizza is racist!

We've almost achieved full saturation...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2019, 11:48:15 AM »
Hey, now pizza is racist!

We've almost achieved full saturation...

Just when you think that is the case, someone else will come along to prove you wrong.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2019, 11:49:31 AM »
Feeling cute.
Might rob BP station.IDK

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DodQaRKD7DE

This made national news a 1/2 dozen years back, the flash mob robbery went to park down the street and started beating random people in the park.

Barack Obama

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2019, 02:17:52 PM »

Nope.  Another regionalism.  And that's why I usually get tiresome about ID'ing things.  I violated this precept myself recently by referring to King Soopers in a recent post without adding "(Kroger, City Market)," which is its DBA* in other areas.

Yeah, extra insurance and other loss prevention costs.  I noticed a couple of years ago that the very same items in some big chain (Wal-Mart?) cost less in the suburban store than in Denver proper.

Even my car insurance was cheaper on the west side of Sheridan Boulevard (Jefferson County) than on the east side (City and County of Denver).  Sheridan is the border most of its way in that area.

Since my mailing address is a post office box in Denver, the insurance company billed me as if I lived in Denver.  Got a substantial refund from them for the error in billing after I discovered this and squawked about it.

Terry

* "Doing Business As;" similar to AKA (Also Known As) and KPA (Known Professionally As) for individuals, especially in show biz. Think "Marion Morrison," "Bernard Schwartz," "Norma Jean Baker," and "Scout26."
« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 02:34:07 PM by 230RN »

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2019, 02:34:48 PM »
Even my car insurance was cheaper on the west side of Sheridan Boulevard (Jefferson County) than on the east side (City and County of Denver)

I recently learned just how much car insurance can vary by where in the US you live.

In CA, I had Farmers for the last nearly 40 years, since I was 18. I have them for everything. I've never filed a claim with them, haven't been in an accident or had a ticket that didn't get wiped in traffic school in at least the last 20 years, so I have pretty much every discount you can get with them. When I shopped around in the past just for grins, nobody could beat them by more than 5% so it was never worth the hassle to switch. With all the above, for $500K full coverage on two vehicles, I was paying ~$2800/yr.

After moving to Idaho, I went to a Farmers agent here to get quotes, telling him I wanted the identical coverage. The quote he emailed me was $520. Thirty seconds after I got the email,  I called and said, "Hey, it looks like you sent me the wrong quote." Nope. It was the right quote - $520 for both vehicles, same coverage as I had in CA (I triple checked the numbers). Car insurance is just insanely cheap here compared to what I'm used to. Apparently Idaho handles uninsured motorist stuff differently (and doesn't have as many uninsured motorists), and people here in general don't sue each other for $1 million because their Beemer got scratched, so car insurance rates are crazy low. My property and umbrella policies are only about 10% cheaper, so it seems to be mostly an auto thing.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2019, 02:38:15 PM »
If you are a Vet, CALL USAA!
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2019, 02:58:27 PM »
If you are a Vet, CALL USAA!

I've gotten several USAA quotes in Central FL, and they've never been cheap.  Allstate beats them by like 15%.  YMMV however, so it's always worth getting several quotes

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2019, 03:14:25 PM »
Ben:
"Car insurance is just insanely cheap here compared to what I'm used to."

You got that backwards.  It's insanely expensive where you were.

I got dinged for a 20% increase from last year's premium.  It is said (probably a falsehood promulgated by the insurance companies, Terry said, defamationingly) that this is a result of all the storm/hail damage last year.  Actually, it's because insurance generally is a ripoff and they'll charge whatever they can with whatever excuse they can con the regulatory agencies into swallowing.

Also, insurance of whatever nature inevitably increases the cost of fixing whatever the insurance is protecting you from.

Terry
« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 03:42:54 PM by 230RN »

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2019, 03:15:10 PM »
We paid $ 10 last night at Papa Murphy's for a large Mediterranean herb chicken pizza. #PizzaPrivilege

I was just going to say "papa Murphy's".   Their basic $5 one topping pizza, buy a couple.  Perfect for fueling a crowd of grandkiddies.  
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2019, 03:19:48 PM »
I was just going to say "papa Murphy's".   Their basic $5 one topping pizza, buy a couple.  Perfect for fueling a crowd of grandkiddies.  

Even their most expensive pizzas are a bargain. The family sized chicago stuffed pizza is around $20, but by myself, I get about 4-5 meals out of it..

Barack Obama

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2019, 04:28:52 PM »

Premature elucidation.

« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 04:56:30 PM by BobR »

BobR

• friend
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2019, 04:31:39 PM »
I recently learned just how much car insurance can vary by where in the US you live.

In CA, I had Farmers for the last nearly 40 years, since I was 18. I have them for everything. I've never filed a claim with them, haven't been in an accident or had a ticket that didn't get wiped in traffic school in at least the last 20 years, so I have pretty much every discount you can get with them. When I shopped around in the past just for grins, nobody could beat them by more than 5% so it was never worth the hassle to switch. With all the above, for $500K full coverage on two vehicles, I was paying ~$2800/yr.

After moving to Idaho, I went to a Farmers agent here to get quotes, telling him I wanted the identical coverage. The quote he emailed me was $520. Thirty seconds after I got the email,  I called and said, "Hey, it looks like you sent me the wrong quote." Nope. It was the right quote - $520 for both vehicles, same coverage as I had in CA (I triple checked the numbers).

First ARs just laying around waiting to be purchased and now auto insurance rates falling like a frozen turkey out of a helicopter. Kind of nice to be breathing the free air, isn't it? How about rates for plating your vehicles, a little lower also?

bob

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2019, 04:46:01 PM »
I heard “food desert” news the other night. A race baiter Al Sharpton wannabe was doing her whining on TV and threw that bullshit word in the middle of her speil about wanting to get the black mothers out of jail for Mother’s Day  ;/ Must be one of their dog whistle terms
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2019, 06:14:52 PM »
First ARs just laying around waiting to be purchased and now auto insurance rates falling like a frozen turkey out of a helicopter. Kind of nice to be breathing the free air, isn't it? How about rates for plating your vehicles, a little lower also?

bob

Oh, heck yeah. $240 for two vehicles for two years. If CA even did two year registrations, that would have run me around $1700.

BobR

• friend
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2019, 06:23:23 PM »
Oh, heck yeah. $240 for two vehicles for two years. If CA even did two year registrations, that would have run me around $1700.

My wife is on my Brother in laws Lexus title so he can use our address. WA plates are much lower than CA. I think his plates run about 83 dollars a year here, in CA, about a bunch more. ;)

bob

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2019, 08:20:50 PM »
I've gotten several USAA quotes in Central FL, and they've never been cheap.  Allstate beats them by like 15%.  YMMV however, so it's always worth getting several quotes

Wow, saved me hundreds here in Louisiana over State Farm.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2019, 09:44:42 PM »
$10 for what kind of pizza? A frozen pizza? A freshly-cooked pizza? Pizza by the slice?

"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2019, 11:55:29 PM »
some rural desert small cities and towns really are "food deserts"
particularly the diners/cheaper restaurants.
Cheese, most of my adult life - cheese was a dairy product  that looks and taste like cheese , it's nearly impossible
to go to a diner in Reno or rural areas in NV/AZ and order a ham and cheese omelette with cheese in it.
you get the fake "processed cheese" ( i have taken to calling it welfare cheese )- it taste like crap, and its faker than cnn.
I go over a persons house for coffee? instant coffee!!
I can understand having it in your bugout bag or if you're hiking.... but drinking it daily or serving it to a guest??? good grief.
when i lived north of yuma in AZ - all food was in a box or can - i guess there was not enough people to make a profit on fresh produce
i had to travel 1 or 200 a week for fresh groceries ....
speaking of which, i gotta run and buy some cool as heck salmon jerky on sale - taste great and doesn't go bad without refrigeration
i am gonna buy a lot in the next few weeks for a good supply of tasty protein in my truck.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."