Author Topic: Lots of problems going on with the NRA right now  (Read 16177 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Re: Lots of problems going on with the NRA right now
« Reply #126 on: August 20, 2019, 08:43:51 PM »
I think the count is higher than five now. Two more quit today.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/first-on-cnn-more-nra-leaders-step-down-amid-spending-controversy/ar-AAG4s3g?li=BBnbfcL&OCID=AVRES000

I hate all of those mealy-mouth excuses for quitting.  Just tell the truth: LaPierre, et. al., are driving the NRA into the ground. 
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #127 on: August 20, 2019, 09:21:57 PM »
I hate all of those mealy-mouth excuses for quitting.  Just tell the truth: LaPierre, et. al., are driving the NRA into the ground. 

I'm finding those interesting. I think (IMO) it's pretty obvious why they are quitting: Either directly because of Wayne, or fear of getting dragged down with negative publicity when this all blows up. You'd think they would want to say that though, for the good of the organization. I almost tinfoily kinda wonder what dirt Wayne has on everyone. Did he get the NRA secret police to videotape everyone on the board in compromising positions and that's why they're all giving these "I'm too busy" lines?
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #128 on: August 20, 2019, 09:38:12 PM »
They're dropping quicker than Clinton business associates
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #129 on: August 20, 2019, 10:27:51 PM »
I'm finding those interesting. I think (IMO) it's pretty obvious why they are quitting: Either directly because of Wayne, or fear of getting dragged down with negative publicity when this all blows up. You'd think they would want to say that though, for the good of the organization. I almost tinfoily kinda wonder what dirt Wayne has on everyone. Did he get the NRA secret police to videotape everyone on the board in compromising positions and that's why they're all giving these "I'm too busy" lines?

I mentioned this in the TFL thread on the same topic.  I think they are leaving because they mistakenly believe doing so absolves them of their fiduciary responsibility while they were board members.  (I didn't say this on TFL but I can see board members potentially going to prison over Wayne's embezzlements.  while Wayne walks)
"It's good, though..."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #130 on: August 20, 2019, 11:32:35 PM »
I imagine the NYState AG is planning to go after each of the board members with subpoenas.  Not to mention there may be NY State laws saying the Board of Directors is held responsible for maintaining oversight of the organization.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #132 on: September 27, 2019, 12:26:21 PM »
More concerning news for the NRA, comrades:

https://www.npr.org/2019/09/27/764879242/nra-was-foreign-asset-to-russia-ahead-of-2016-new-senate-report-reveals?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=npr&utm_medium=social&utm_term=nprnews&fbclid=IwAR23fDSahjsxqlG8iYI5qIAOqbmU9Ml-VztBlEYneg1HuXswx7Tio25mEJo&fbclid=IwAR135Sg92FDCUAaQi37KBlvmvWiLhuGoadCXG8zVRxWR_j6D2lxIHM-t3q0&fbclid=IwAR2VAazOd0AZvt2vYhCCvXvvYvklCpFB1JW1S-6S0HKEaMGJUnq_ryZ7LnE&fbclid=IwAR3-Y1wOSVGmuKm2S2X4vu3NYJ3BD1_Uq73hH_EX4dGvl-2UPyzBARfF1_U

In the Republicans' analysis of Wyden's report, the majority argued that it does not account for U.S.-Russia relations at the time and contains "much conclusory innuendo... and repeatedly attempts to paint a picture that does not exist."
I would probably assume what this quote says without seeing it stated in the article.  Needs a lot more hard details to throw around accusations.  However, what it said about the Russian side trying to use it as an opportunity to get access to US elected officials at NRA events wouldn't surprise me too much.  Probably a lot of that stuff goes on in D.C. with a lot of organizations. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #133 on: September 27, 2019, 12:29:33 PM »
I seem to recall them calling the NRA a Russian operation some years ago because they found a member, one out of 5 million, who happened to be a Russian citizen who had donated something like $15
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #134 on: September 27, 2019, 12:31:54 PM »
Given the source, my knee-jerk reaction is that it's just another instance of presumed-outcome exposition developed by taking limited, disparate data points and filtering them through a burning desire to tarnish all things conservative.

That being said, the way internal NRA things are going now, I wouldn't put it past them to pull a stunt this stupid.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #135 on: September 27, 2019, 02:54:19 PM »
What I am thinking is not that they would pull a stupid stunt, but they would be oblivious to being used.  
« Last Edit: September 28, 2019, 11:53:20 AM by MechAg94 »

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #136 on: September 27, 2019, 08:41:23 PM »
What am thinking is not that they would pull a stupid stunt, but that they would be oblivious to being used.  

Pretty much this.  Let my membership lapse earlier this year after the idiocy began.  Not going to renew it anytime soon despite urgent messages from Wayne that I need to do so to save the Republic or the 2nd Amendment or Idiocracy or whatever.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #137 on: September 30, 2019, 03:21:48 PM »
https://thefederalist.com/2019/09/30/with-the-help-of-media-democrats-are-smearing-the-nra/

National Public Radio’s Tim Mak has been on the NRA-is-a-Russian-front beat for some time now. You may find a journalistic project predicated on a determined outcome a bit odd, but that’s how things seem to work these days.

The latest article in the series is headlined “NRA Was ‘Foreign Asset’ To Russia Ahead of 2016, New Senate Report Reveals,” and it reads like a partisan talking points memo, with not a single hint of skepticism to be found anywhere. The “report” itself, written by Sen. Ron Wyden of Oregon, is larded with suspenseful prose that works to create the impression that completely legal and innocuous interactions are part of a nefarious plot. The only thing it “reveals” is that Senate Democrats have no qualms leveling tendentious claims and spreading conspiracy theories.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #139 on: December 19, 2019, 02:04:46 PM »
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/18/magazine/wayne-lapierre-nra-guns.html?action=click&module=Well&pgtype=Homepage&section=The%20New%20York%20Times%20Magazine

Mr. LaPierre speaks.

That's a pretty exhaustive article. To me, it doesn't do much of anything to enhance LaPierre's image. It makes it clear that he is not out to protect the NRA, he's out to protect Wayne LaPierre. He takes credit for anything good that happened, but anything bad was somebody else's fault. And the bit about the executive VICE president telling the president of the organization to "back off" is mind-boggling. I have served on the boards of more than one non-profit organization. I can't imagine any executive VP telling the president of the board of directors to, in essence, shove it.

I remain of the opinion that LaPierre must go. As to Brewer -- I thought he had a conflict of interest before, suing a company partially owned by his father-in-law. I didn't know the father-in-law had died in July. That leaves a new question: Did Brewer's wife inherit a stake in AckMac? Is he now effectively suing his own wife? How is that not a conflict of interest?
« Last Edit: December 19, 2019, 10:48:39 PM by Hawkmoon »
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #140 on: December 19, 2019, 02:30:25 PM »
While he is still able to charge things to the NRA, Mr. LaPierre would be well advised to hire a criminal defense attorney for if and when criminal misappropriation of funds charges come down from New York.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.