Author Topic: Lots of problems going on with the NRA right now  (Read 16204 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Lots of problems going on with the NRA right now
« Reply #75 on: June 22, 2019, 09:43:52 AM »
While, again, I have no plans to leave the NRA and I believe this will all be straightened out eventually, the attitude of Wayne and the board (as I perceive it) really irks me.

To me, they are taking the same position they rail about in their fundraising letters. Everytime I get a fundraising letter or email, it's all about the elite and out of touch lawmaker "X" who believes they know better than me and want me to submit to their control because "big brother" or "nanny" or whatever.

When I read the statements from NRA leadership on the current issues, they're coming off exactly as they portray the anti-gun lawmakers: "Stop worrying, we know what's best. Just do what we say and also keep sending us money to get through this trying time of people questioning our authority (plus Wayne needs a new suit)!"

Perhaps there are " a few troublemakers" that are causing much of this. However, the board's PR on this sucks. The last explanatory letter I read sounded like they were patting me on the head. I actually feel offended when I read their defense of themselves.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #76 on: June 22, 2019, 10:09:43 AM »
^^^When I read the letter, the phrase 'tone deaf' went through my mind.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #77 on: June 22, 2019, 12:17:05 PM »
While, again, I have no plans to leave the NRA and I believe this will all be straightened out eventually, the attitude of Wayne and the board (as I perceive it) really irks me.

To me, they are taking the same position they rail about in their fundraising letters. Everytime I get a fundraising letter or email, it's all about the elite and out of touch lawmaker "X" who believes they know better than me and want me to submit to their control because "big brother" or "nanny" or whatever.

When I read the statements from NRA leadership on the current issues, they're coming off exactly as they portray the anti-gun lawmakers: "Stop worrying, we know what's best. Just do what we say and also keep sending us money to get through this trying time of people questioning our authority (plus Wayne needs a new suit)!"

Perhaps there are " a few troublemakers" that are causing much of this. However, the board's PR on this sucks. The last explanatory letter I read sounded like they were patting me on the head. I actually feel offended when I read their defense of themselves.
The question that comes to my mind is what exactly is the NRA actually doing about it?  I seem to be hearing things here and there that indicates they are doing very little in D.C. except fundraising.  In Texas, I feel like they are trying to fund raise off the efforts of the TSRA by sending emails out bragging about the great pro-gun laws being passes and making no mention of the TSRA.  

Well, I guess they are supporting red flag laws and bump stock bans.  
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #78 on: June 22, 2019, 12:19:59 PM »
I follow a lot of 2A social media, and the only one still openly supporting the NRA is Colion Noir, and he's getting paid by them to do so.  Many of the rest (MAC, IV8888, Yankee Marshall) are openly attacking the NRA as it exists now, and getting a ton of support for doing so.  Seems to me that, while that support means little, what it most likely means is that those supporters ain't sending cash to the NRA these days...
I figure his checks were written by Ackermann McQueen so who knows if he is still getting paid or not.  My understanding is Ackermann McQeen were the sole owners of much of the media and magazine publishing the NRA was doing including NRA TV.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #79 on: June 22, 2019, 01:24:07 PM »
My understanding is Ackermann McQeen were the sole owners of much of the media and magazine publishing the NRA was doing including NRA TV.

I thought about that when the most recent edition of my NRA magazine arrived in the mailbox a few days ago, so I opened it up to the page that lists all the editors and such, and I don't think there was a single mention of Ackerman-McQueen. Which is just another indication (to me) that the whole relationship between the NRA and Ackerman-McQueen was just too cozy to be healthy.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #80 on: June 26, 2019, 02:56:06 PM »
Guess he's gone for good now

BREAKING: NRA-ILA’s Chris Cox Resigns
https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/breaking-nra-ilas-chris-cox-resigns/

AND

BREAKING: NRATV Website Gone
https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/breaking-nratv-website-gone/

Honestly, did anyone actually watch it?
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #81 on: June 26, 2019, 03:00:04 PM »
Guess he's gone for good now

BREAKING: NRA-ILA’s Chris Cox Resigns
https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/breaking-nra-ilas-chris-cox-resigns/

AND

BREAKING: NRATV Website Gone
https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/breaking-nratv-website-gone/

Honestly, did anyone actually watch it?

The NRATV thing seemed not to be useful to me, but I thought maybe they knew something I didn't.

If this is all an attempt to streamline the organization and get back to its primary purpose, I'm all for all these moves.

BUT, as noted, the departure of Chris Cox is concerning. I'm watching carefully.

Per the Andrew Lander posts earlier, it is interesting that this all appears to have come out of the NRA having to come clean about pension underfunding for the past few years, leading to several reports of questionable actions/billing by their leading contractor, Ackerman-McQueen.

My hope is this is a cleaning house to remove the influences of Ack-Mac. If it is, I am fully on board.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #82 on: June 26, 2019, 03:21:30 PM »
The NRATV thing seemed not to be useful to me, but I thought maybe they knew something I didn't.

If this is all an attempt to streamline the organization and get back to its primary purpose, I'm all for all these moves.

BUT, as noted, the departure of Chris Cox is concerning. I'm watching carefully.

Per the Andrew Lander posts earlier, it is interesting that this all appears to have come out of the NRA having to come clean about pension underfunding for the past few years, leading to several reports of questionable actions/billing by their leading contractor, Ackerman-McQueen.

My hope is this is a cleaning house to remove the influences of Ack-Mac. If it is, I am fully on board.
If Wayne LaPierre is not gone, then the only house cleaning is Wayne getting rid of anyone he thinks is against him.  What I heard is Chris Cox had some text messages that came out in lawsuit discovery where someone was trying to get him involved with getting rid of La Pierre.  Wayne La Pierre is pretty much running everything right now.  The Board of Directors and President are just for decoration.

NRATV as I understand it, is operated and essentially owned by Ackermann McQueen.  Everyone was paid by them and they had all the websites and infrastructure.  I think they were paid to handle all the magazine stuff as well.  If Ackerman McQueen is truly gone, then all that will need to be restarted directly under NRA management. 

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #83 on: June 26, 2019, 03:22:38 PM »
I don't know if any of you listen to Gun Talk Radio with Tom Gresham.  He was laying into the NRA pretty hard in last Sunday's show.  He normally is very hesitant to directly criticise the NRA.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #84 on: June 26, 2019, 04:55:22 PM »
https://patriotpost.us/alexander/63906-the-second-amendment-v-nra-fratricidal-fire

The NRA tried to contain this internal dispute, but within weeks of North’s resignation and replacement by Carolyn Meadows, one of the NRA’s most respected board members, Allen West, called for LaPierre’s resignation.

West, a former U.S. Army lieutenant colonel, former U.S. congressman, and longtime defender of the Second Amendment, said: “I do not support Wayne LaPierre continuing as the EVP/CEO of the NRA. There is a cabal of cronyism operating within the NRA and that exists within the Board of Directors. It must cease, and I do not care if I draw their angst. … It’s very important for us to have the trust and confidence of the members.”

The NRA’s most visible supporter, Donald Trump, insists, “The NRA … must get its act together quickly, stop the internal fighting, and get back to greatness fast!”

Achieving that goal is in LaPierre’s hands.

I think West is correct.  Not sure how many other board members agree with him.

"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #85 on: June 26, 2019, 08:02:12 PM »
https://patriotpost.us/alexander/63906-the-second-amendment-v-nra-fratricidal-fire

I think West is correct.  Not sure how many other board members agree with him.

I think most of the board members who agreed with him have resigned.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #86 on: July 02, 2019, 10:02:42 AM »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #87 on: July 02, 2019, 12:20:41 PM »

O. M. G.!!!!   RUN away!!!! RUN FAR AWAY!!!!!! :rofl:
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #88 on: July 12, 2019, 10:30:23 AM »
And it keeps getting better

Oliver North: Wayne LaPierre and Attorney Brewer Cooked Up Story About a Coup Attempt
https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/oliver-oliver-north-lapierre-and-attorney-brewer-cooked-up-story-about-a-coup-attempt/
- Calvin and Hobbes

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #89 on: July 12, 2019, 02:38:54 PM »

Oliver North: Wayne LaPierre and Attorney Brewer Cooked Up Story About a Coup Attempt
https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/oliver-oliver-north-lapierre-and-attorney-brewer-cooked-up-story-about-a-coup-attempt/

You have a strange understanding of "better."  >:D

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #90 on: July 12, 2019, 06:55:57 PM »
You have a strange understanding of "better."  >:D

How about this?

The Washington Post reported on it today.

D.C’s attorney general issued subpoenas Friday to the National Rifle Association and its charitable foundation, putting additional pressure on the embattled gun rights organization from nonprofit regulators.

The office of Attorney General Karl A. Racine is seeking financial documents from the NRA and its foundation. The NRA Foundation is chartered in the District and the NRA is registered as a nonprofit and does business there.

“The Office of the Attorney General for the District of Columbia has issued subpoenas to the National Rifle Association of America (NRA) and the NRA Foundation, Inc., as part of an investigation into whether these entities violated the District’s Nonprofit Act,” Racine said in a statement.

He continued: “We are seeking documents from these two nonprofits detailing, among other things, their financial records, payments to vendors, and payments to officers and directors.”
While the NRA Foundation remains a 501(c)(3) charity, there are documents that suggest it has been donating to some of Wayne LaPierre’s wife Susan’s pet charities. And at least one outlet reports that the donations went un-reported on financial disclosure forms.

District of Columbia AG Subpoenas NRA Foundation Financial Records
https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/district-of-columbia-ag-subpoenas-nra-foundation-financial-records/
- Calvin and Hobbes

HankB

• friend
« Reply #91 on: July 12, 2019, 07:28:11 PM »
I would like to ask ONE question, with one follow up:

Is it true that Wayne LaPierre was paid over one quarter million dollars as a wardrobe allowance as some have alleged?

If not, how much HAS Wayne been paid for clothes, haircuts, and personal grooming?
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #92 on: July 12, 2019, 10:11:30 PM »

Is it true that Wayne LaPierre was paid over one quarter million dollars as a wardrobe allowance as some have alleged?

If not, how much HAS Wayne been paid for clothes, haircuts, and personal grooming?

I thought it was around $200,000, so not quite a quarter of a million. But why argue over a paltry $50 grand?

Don't they have men's clothing stores in Virginia? Why did LaPierre have to buy suits from a Beverly Hills custom tailor?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #93 on: July 12, 2019, 10:16:27 PM »

Don't they have men's clothing stores in Virginia? Why did LaPierre have to buy suits from a Beverly Hills custom tailor?

That was my question if the allegation is true. It's DC for crying out loud. There's a power suit tailor on every corner.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Pb

• friend
« Reply #94 on: July 13, 2019, 06:33:58 PM »

I think it was 200k spread over ten years.  So like 20k a year.  ;/

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #95 on: July 13, 2019, 07:49:09 PM »
I think it was 200k spread over ten years.  So like 20k a year.  ;/

Even if it was "only" $20k per year -- for ten years -- I don't understand how any male can spend $20k for clothes in one year, let alone for ten years in succession.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #96 on: July 13, 2019, 08:31:58 PM »
Especially since he is already paid over $1 million a year.  I think 1.5.  And I have heard his benefits and other compensations are more.  He doesn't need a clothing allowance and he certainly shouldn't be laundering that cost through a contractor that he controls. 

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #97 on: July 13, 2019, 11:16:01 PM »
Especially since he is already paid over $1 million a year.  I think 1.5.  And I have heard his benefits and other compensations are more.  He doesn't need a clothing allowance and he certainly shouldn't be laundering that cost through a contractor that he controls. 

Agreed. I worked for many years in firms where I was expected to wear a suit and tie to work. I didn't get any clothing allowance. IIRC, I think my accountant once told me that I because suits were required attire I could buy one or two new suits a year and deduct the cost on my income tax return. Since LaPierre was reimbursed for his clothing purchases, I wonder if he also deducted the cost on his tax returns.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #98 on: July 14, 2019, 12:46:34 PM »
Agreed. I worked for many years in firms where I was expected to wear a suit and tie to work. I didn't get any clothing allowance. IIRC, I think my accountant once told me that I because suits were required attire I could buy one or two new suits a year and deduct the cost on my income tax return. Since LaPierre was reimbursed for his clothing purchases, I wonder if he also deducted the cost on his tax returns.
The closest I ever came to a clothing allowance was on a couple of overseas business trips that lasted over a week - then I got reimbursed for laundry & dry cleaning expenses. (IIRC, the laundry reimbursements were on the order of tens of dollars - not tens of thousands of dollars.)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Pb

• friend
« Reply #99 on: July 15, 2019, 09:38:55 AM »

To tell you the truth, I strongly suspect North is crooked too (that is, as well as wayne)... he was being paid by Ack Mac.