Author Topic: NIMBY  (Read 1911 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
NIMBY
« on: April 25, 2019, 03:51:02 PM »
https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/homeowner-slams-airport-revamp-jets-14475564

Couple who moved into a house seven years ago because (GASP!) airplanes -- AIRPLANES, mind you!!! -- are using an airport that was started in 1914.

THE HORROR!

- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: NIMBY
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2019, 04:09:13 PM »
Have a B-1 light all 4 afterburners in the general direction of their house.  Problem solved. >:D

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2019, 05:00:32 PM »
Since this is in Merry Old England, I assume there were many notices, town meetings, and planning board meetings about the airport over the years.  I wonder if she attended any.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2019, 05:13:35 PM »
They should move to Berlin and live next to the Brandenberg airport.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ll58ZrIupKA

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2019, 05:18:44 PM »
Since this is in Merry Old England, I assume there were many notices, town meetings, and planning board meetings about the airport over the years.  I wonder if she attended any.

The plans were on display in the bottom of a locked filing cabinet stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door reading "Beware of the leopard."

""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2019, 06:33:54 PM »
The plans were on display in the bottom of a locked filing cabinet stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door reading "Beware of the leopard."

Right next to the plans for the intergalactic highway?

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2019, 06:58:57 PM »
There's a similar issue near me. There's a commercial airport that has been there since 1929 (started operations in 1931). Today, there's no service by major airlines, not even the commuter affiliates, because the main runway needs to be lengthened to safely accommodate today's aircraft. But the people who live in the vicinity of the airport (even though none of them -- and almost none of their houses -- existed in 1931) have been holding the runway extension hostage for decades, basically strangling the regional economy. So it really is classic NIMBY -- buy a house next to an airport and then object when people want to fly airplanes to and from the airport.

Like the Muslims somewhere in the midwest who built a mosque near a pig farm and then expected the farmer to stop raising hogs.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2019, 10:41:02 PM »
On the west end of Lambert airport, they tore down a whole housing development when they expanded. I've probably mentioned it here before. It's a whole network of streets, and driveways, with no houses. Great place for someone to shoot their amateur post-apoc short film.

But, hey, at least there's no complaints that way.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2019, 10:59:00 PM »
Like the Muslims somewhere in the midwest who built a mosque near a pig farm and then expected the farmer to stop raising hogs.

Katy, Texas.  But I'm having a hard time finding information about it.
"It's good, though..."

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2019, 11:35:59 PM »
They should move to Berlin and live next to the Brandenberg airport.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ll58ZrIupKA

I always thought the Germans were better at engineering than that. :facepalm:

MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2019, 08:51:34 AM »
Katy, Texas.  But I'm having a hard time finding information about it.

https://www.chron.com/neighborhood/katy-news/article/Katy-shop-owner-plans-pig-races-in-mosque-fight-1565729.php

Not a pig farm.  His shop is next door, so he bought pigs to annoy them.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2019, 08:58:41 AM »
https://www.chron.com/neighborhood/katy-news/article/Katy-shop-owner-plans-pig-races-in-mosque-fight-1565729.php

Not a pig farm.  His shop is next door, so he bought pigs to annoy them.

Thanks.  The Fox News story said he had a pig farm, but I couldn't find anything to corroborate that.  And the dates on the various reports were all over the place.
"It's good, though..."

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2019, 09:03:40 AM »
You read stories of people buying/building houses next to gun ranges and then suing to get the range shut down because of the noise and safety concerns.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2019, 12:34:04 PM »

Not a pig farm.  His shop is next door, so he bought pigs to annoy them.

All the reports at the time said it was a farm. And other articles I've been able to find seem to confirm that.

https://conservativedailypost.com/texas-farmer-fights-muslim-takeover-in-epic-way/

Either way, the reason I mentioned it was just the idea that people who think pigs are from the devil would buy land next to a pig emporium and then want the pigs to leave. Same as buying a house next to a gun range and then trying to close the gun range. Around here, for years the state highway department was spending big bucks installing sound barriers because people were putting up new subdivisions right up against the interstate highway right-of-way, and the new residents (who must have seen -- or heard -- the highway when they looked at the houses) complained about the traffic noise. I have no sympathy. Why should I have to help pay for noise barriers because you were dumb enough to buy a house next to an interstate highway? Why should I have to help buy out your house because you chose to live under the approach path for an airport that was there fifty years before your house was built?

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2019, 12:51:36 PM »
You read stories of people buying/building houses next to gun ranges and then suing to get the range shut down because of the noise and safety concerns.

We have had that up here on a public range.

From 2010:

https://lmtribune.com/outdoors/farragut-shooting-range-still-under-fire/article_46bc3ad8-2c76-5c25-b5d1-4e53d3189d64.html

2019:

This is what they have now.

https://idfg.idaho.gov/hunting/farragut-public-shooting-range

Farragut was a Naval Boot Camp during WW2 and the 50's, none of those people complaining were living there at the time, some probably weren't born but they effectively shut down the range for several years and took their fight to the Idaho Supreme Court IIRC. Up here in Northern Idaho more and more liberals are moving in, especially around Sandpoint and Couer d' Alene. Pretty soon it will be looking like Boise. :(

bob

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2019, 01:26:28 PM »
It's a whole network of streets, and driveways, with no houses. Great place for someone to shoot their amateur post-apoc short film.

Charleston Air Force Base has a neighborhood like that. Bus stops and everything. Looks about 10-15 years old.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2019, 01:48:02 PM »

Yep, a local private range has had that problem.  Range has been operating since the 1950s, then some venture-capital mogul buys property nearby and starts raising hell about "noise" and "safety" issues.  Lawsuits, dueling EIRs, dueling noise measurements, the works.  Fortunately, the range eventually prevailed.
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

HankB

• friend
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2019, 03:01:05 PM »
When I still lived in PROM (People's Republic of Minnesota) there was ongoing controversy with people who moved in near the big airport and complained about the noise. I guess the realtor put a curtain over the runways to conceal the airport's proximity. IMHO, the ONLY people living near airports that were there before they were who have a valid complaint about the noise are those who bought in before jet airliners began operating. (WHEN was the 707 introduced? Late 50s?)

And a bit closer to my old home (but still several miles away) there was a turkey farm. That place was there LONG before I even moved in, and I was far enough away it didn't affect me. But it was on a hill RIGHT ALONGSIDE THE INTERSTATE with a BIG sign you could see from the highway, and flocks of turkeys were visible in on the property. You guessed it - a developer began building right next door, people bought homes there, and began complaining about the smell.

Idiots.  :facepalm:
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2019, 06:25:07 PM »

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2019, 07:12:48 PM »
It happens every where.

Out here it's stupid wanna be hippies who move out to the country to live with nature and then get all out of wack during hunting season.

At Mom's, it was the cows. Then a developer moved the cows out and built houses. Mom wants the cows back. They were better neighbors, even when they were smelly.  :'(
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2019, 01:21:51 PM »
This reminds me of a story.

Back in 2001 or 2002, I was an armed courier in Boston.  One of my stops was the corporate office of Cara Donna Provisions in Braintree.  The guy who consigned their deposit to me asked me if I was a member of the Braintree Rod & Gun Club, which was right next to their location.  I said no, I live in Beverly, I have no reason to drive that far.

He said he was a member, and told me that a few years prior, his overlords at Cara Donna had complained about the possibility of a round exiting the range on the southeast and striking their building.  With the threat of legal action, the gun club spent thousands increasing the height of the berms on both sides.  This didn't satisfy one of Cara Donna's corporate types, so he went to the Braintree PD to claim that a round had struck their dumpster.  Thing is, he brought as evidence an entire, unfired .45 ACP round.  The cops were none too pleased, the gun club threatened legal action of their own, and the whole thing got dropped.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2019, 01:41:42 PM »

Back in 2001 or 2002, I was an armed courier in Boston.  One of my stops was the corporate office of Cara Donna Provisions in Braintree.  The guy who consigned their deposit to me asked me if I was a member of the Braintree Rod & Gun Club, which was right next to their location.  I said no, I live in Beverly, I have no reason to drive that far.

He said he was a member, and told me that a few years prior, his overlords at Cara Donna had complained about the possibility of a round exiting the range on the southeast and striking their building.  With the threat of legal action, the gun club spent thousands increasing the height of the berms on both sides.  This didn't satisfy one of Cara Donna's corporate types, so he went to the Braintree PD to claim that a round had struck their dumpster.  Thing is, he brought as evidence an entire, unfired .45 ACP round.  The cops were none too pleased, the gun club threatened legal action of their own, and the whole thing got dropped.

Recall seeing a story with photos where a home owner was trying to get the local range shut down because he claimed rounds from the range were striking his house. Trouble was the "bullets" he provided as proof were fresh out of the box unfired 223s, the "bullet" holes that were in the side of his house that he also provided as proof all appeared in the photos to come from a downward angle (in other words the ground). To add insult to injury the range fired in the opposite direction.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2019, 02:05:17 PM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

HankB

• friend
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2019, 01:43:04 PM »
. . . This didn't satisfy one of Cara Donna's corporate types, so he went to the Braintree PD to claim that a round had struck their dumpster.  Thing is, he brought as evidence an entire, unfired .45 ACP round . . .
Same type of story from Iraq  made the rounds a few years back.

Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2019, 01:55:21 PM »
The Sig Academy range here in NH had a similar problem in 2017.  Bullets were exiting the range onto Hwy 101, which runs right past the range. 

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0190439,-71.0413796,243m/data=!3m1!1e3

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2019, 03:55:15 PM »

Similar thing in Hawaii.  Among another bunch of orchestrated complaints against a range out there, some putz claimed a bullet came flying right by him, he coulda been killed.  As hokey evidence, he presented either a fired case, a loaded round, or an unrifled bullet, I forget which.

« Last Edit: April 27, 2019, 05:44:07 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.