Author Topic: Do you drink?  (Read 10961 times)

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
Re: Do you drink?
« Reply #75 on: February 16, 2007, 06:24:54 PM »
I don't drink at all. Why? Well, I see the effects first hand of alchohol on family members. I just do not see the point in putting a poison in your body. I also do not get why people like to get drunk when it produces a horrible hangover later.

And, when your momma threatens to kill you if you take a sip of alchohol, it provides encouragment not to touch the bottle.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #76 on: February 16, 2007, 06:57:39 PM »
Nobody's hidden a still anywhere?  grin

This reminds me of something funny.  Years ago, my father did something illegal that landed him in medium security prison for 9 years.  He said they used to brew their own makeshift alcoholic drink, using (as far as I can remember) whatever fruit juice was available and bread. Of course, this was against the rules, so they'd brew it in tied-off plastic garbage bags and hang it above the ceiling tiles.  Occasionally, guards would move a tile and poke up around in there with a nightstick.  If they weren't careful, they'd bust a bag open and get soaked from head to toe with rot-gut hooch!

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #77 on: February 17, 2007, 08:17:35 AM »

EMS is pretty effective in curbing any impulse to drink and drive.

Driving a main battle tank while intoxicated convinced me never to drink and drive again.   angel

And to answer your question, yes, you can get air time in an Abrams.   grin
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Strings

« Reply #78 on: February 17, 2007, 11:56:32 AM »
Air time in an Abrams... I'm not sure I want to know...

I used to drink quite a bit: don't really drink much anymore. What I do drink is mostly unavailable in stores: a friend makes an awesome butter-rum, and I make a mean meade (only have one bottle left at the moment: have to do something about that)...

Last time I was drunk was Sarah's fault: she was introducing me to friends of hers at the Ren Faire (after hours), and they ALL had interesting stuff to taste. Some were supprised I made it back to my shop...

Only ever drove under the influence once: had a second martini at a bar, and got rushed out (they decided to close early). Cop stopped me, and administered a FST: I noticed my eyes weren't tracking properly, and told the cop there was no way I was getting back behind the wheel. Somehow impressed him, and he only gave me a warning...

garyk/nm

• friend
  • shovelbum
« Reply #79 on: February 18, 2007, 05:59:09 AM »
I guess I'm making-up for the rest of you weenies!:P
Yep, tequila shots with cheap beer chasers. Lots of them.
The problem most folks have with tequila is that they've gotten lip-walking drunk on really bad stuff (if it has Cuervo in the name, it qualifies as bad), and that has soured them from ever trying the really good stuff.  Good tequila is akin to good bourbon or scotch...you get what you pay for. In the "plastic bottle" varieties, you can actually taste the chemical additives!:barf !

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #80 on: February 18, 2007, 06:07:25 AM »
Nobody's hidden a still anywhere?

Oh there are probably people here in the unit that are breaking the rules.  I myself enjoy my rank, the privlages of said rank, and most importantly the pay too much to knowingly break them.  Plus my wife would kill me if I did something so stupid to lose my rank and more importantly the pay.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #81 on: February 18, 2007, 07:47:44 PM »
In Bosnia, our camp was right next to a furniture factory.  In fact, we shared a common fence.  When we got back, it turns out the Platoon Sergeant and I were the only ones who didn't know about the robust trade in Plum Brandy that passed over that fence. 

Driving a main battle tank while intoxicated convinced me never to drink and drive again.

I had kind of an opposite experience.  Since the National Training Center was flat and wide-open, it really didn't matter that I kept dozing off at thirty miles per.  Except that steering yoke can really jab ya in the eye.   smiley
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #82 on: February 19, 2007, 01:50:42 AM »
...putting a poison in your body. I also do not get why people like to get drunk when it produces a horrible hangover later...

A hangover is is your bodies equivalent of the seat belt buzzer/bell in your car. Well seasoned over-indulgers learn to negate the hangover by learning the "tipping point" their body has between "nicely buzzed" and "hangover drunk", which is a bad thing from the perspective of long term alcohol use/abuse as it serves to remove the short term consequences of over-indulgence without negating the long term conseqences.

I know several **heavy drinkers who almost never get hangovers, and to my knowledge are never drunk enough that they aren't in control of their bodies.

**"Heavy drinkers" is a value judgement of course. These people might just be considered regular ol' "drinkers" by some people. Six or seven beers every evening after work and eight or ten on weekend evenings is what I refer to.

Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

crt360

• friend
« Reply #83 on: February 19, 2007, 02:01:31 PM »
I know several **heavy drinkers who almost never get hangovers, and to my knowledge are never drunk enough that they aren't in control of their bodies.

**"Heavy drinkers" is a value judgement of course. These people might just be considered regular ol' "drinkers" by some people. Six or seven beers every evening after work and eight or ten on weekend evenings is what I refer to.

I think it's relative.  A six pack after work doesn't even approach what I would consider heavy drinking, unless the person is maybe 130 lbs or less.  It's a lot more than I'd drink daily, but, based on my observance of others, I'd say a six-pack or 3-4 glasses of wine is pretty average.  There are enough people that drink 12+ beers, a bottle+ of wine, or 500ml+ of liquor a day to claim the "heavy drinkers" name.  Then there are the full-blown alcoholics who easily drink twice that much a day.  There are also the people who claim they only drink socially, which may be true, but some do it two or three times a week and drink so much they pass out.  I guess these are what you'd call problem heavy drinkers with alcoholic tendencies.

Enjoy your beverage of choice.  Drink it responsibly.  Don't run me over.  Seek help if you think you have a problem.   smiley
For entertainment purposes only.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #84 on: February 19, 2007, 04:03:38 PM »
In Bosnia, our camp was right next to a furniture factory.  In fact, we shared a common fence.  When we got back, it turns out the Platoon Sergeant and I were the only ones who didn't know about the robust trade in Plum Brandy that passed over that fence. 

Yich.  I always hated that nasty "brandy".  Now, on the other hand, Serbian moonshine can strip the paint off a battleship at ten paces.  It's so mean, it'll hunt down the painter, his family and even the poor guy that mixed the paint at the factory.  Good stuff.

I had kind of an opposite experience.  Since the National Training Center was flat and wide-open, it really didn't matter that I kept dozing off at thirty miles per.  Except that steering yoke can really jab ya in the eye.   smiley

Yea, looks kind of like the surface of the moon.  Didn't squish any turtles, did ya?  Tortuise patrol gets very, very upset when you do that.  Best place to sleep sitting up is in a blackhawk.  Shove a (clean) t-shirt between your face and your body armor, you're good to go.  Just try not to drool all over the t-shirt.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #85 on: February 19, 2007, 05:45:03 PM »
Best place to sleep sitting up is in a blackhawk. 

Never had the opportunity.  My company was more interesting in destroying brand new Apache Longbows than in sitting in them.  To shorten a long story, the gunner and TC both thought the turret was facing downrange, but it was facing toward the helo-pad down the street.  Turns out a hot helo engine looks just like a simulated truck target through the infrared.  Who knew? 

Did I tell that one before?  Anyway, being a Bradley driver was a great gig.  I had my own easy chair to sit and read in or sleep in, as the mood took me.   smiley
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife