Author Topic: 844 (Steam Engine)  (Read 1887 times)

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
844 (Steam Engine)
« on: July 25, 2016, 12:00:17 PM »
Son2 heard that Union Pacific steam locomotive #844 was heading up to Cheyenne for a "rest" and would be passing by on the tracks near Berthoud CO.  So he took his camera up there and got a pretty good short video of the old loco going by.  That got me excited about 844 again, possibly the most famous loco in the U.S. besides Big Boy.

I can't post his vid, but here's a real good one taken from a car paralleling the tracks.  Long, and non-aficionados won't watch the whole thing, but we addicts will watch through it completely and wish for more.

Pretty good shot of the Stephenson reversing linkage at 7:30-ish.  It's the bar with a slot in it rocking back and forth.

https://youtu.be/HRTYNxtbnjI

I got interested in the beast when they parked it next to my building in Denver on some side tracks* of Union Station.  They had a ramp leading up to the cab so you could look around in it and talk to the engineer.

In hanging around it, the most common comment from the onlookers was how huge the drive wheels were.  

(That's not me.  Pic credit in Properties.)

I still regret not buying some souvenirs from the souvenir car behind the tender.  There are costs to being a world-class cheapskate.

Terry, 230RN

* Those tracks went away when they renovated Union Station.

« Last Edit: July 25, 2016, 12:16:12 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: 844 (Steam Engine)
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2016, 12:23:34 PM »
Never understood what those "skirts" are for at the front of the locomotive.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2016, 12:28:40 PM »
^^^I wonder if you are referring to the cowcatcher, or something else.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2016, 12:56:07 PM »
^  No, I think he means the flat plates along the front part of the engine.

It's apparently a half-assed streamlining technique.  I guess it somehow pressed the airflow smoothly past the most "draggy" part of the engine.  But I ain't no aerodynamicist.

Some locomotives in that era were fully streamlined, with shrouding all along their length, including the working parts, but it made them hard to work on.  I am told that many of these sleek engines left the workshop with a lot less shrouding than when they went in.

As a practical matter, it was found that the streamlining made no difference except for very high speeds, and even then it was only a little.  Some suspicions arose that full streamlining was done merely to slickify the engines' appearance to esthetically compete with the newly-developed diesel engines.  See:

https://www.ixquick.com/do/search?hmb=1&cat=pics&cmd=process_search&language=english&engine0=v1all&query=fully+streamlined+steam+locomotive&abp=-1&t=air&nj=0&pg=4

I would guess that 844's partial shrouding was the result of a compromise fight between the Sales Department and the Engineering Department.  You know how that kind of thing goes, I'm sure. :)

Here are some tech/dimensional details:

https://www.up.com/aboutup/special_trains/steam/locomotives/844.shtml

If you look at the diameter of the pistons and the boiler pressure, you come up with 15,000 lb of thrust on those connecting rods*.  If my arithmetic is correct.

Terry

* Assuming the 25" diameter refers to the actual cylinder bore, and not the whole cylinder with its outside lagging.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2016, 01:22:02 PM by 230RN »

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2016, 03:33:52 PM »

If you mean those vertical panels on either side of the smokebox, those are smoke deflectors.  They re-direct the air flow upward, carrying the smoke up and away from the train.

Pretty good shot of the Stephenson reversing linkage at 7:30-ish.  It's the bar with a slot in it rocking back and forth.

Minor nitpick:  844 has Walschaerts valve gear:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_IUfuZIHrA

Great to see 844 running again.   Now waiting for #4014 to be restored.
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2016, 04:36:41 PM »

Extra shrapnel in case of catastrophic boiler failure.  They really thought of everything in those days.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2016, 08:15:15 PM »
I wouldn't call myself a train nut, but those old steamers sure are something to watch.  There is an old steam engine used for excursions around Bend, OR.  My youngest son and I heard it a few times when we stayed in hotels in Bend while attending rocket launches out at Brothers, OR.  Never saw it in action, but it sure sounded cool chugging through town late at night, bell clanging and whistle blowing.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2016, 08:49:42 AM »
If you mean those vertical panels on either side of the smokebox, those are smoke deflectors.  They re-direct the air flow upward, carrying the smoke up and away from the train.

Minor nitpick:  844 has Walschaerts valve gear:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_IUfuZIHrA

Great to see 844 running again.   Now waiting for #4014 to be restored.

OK, thanks.  Always pleased to be corrected.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2016, 05:54:46 PM »
That would be something to see.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2019, 08:48:26 PM »
While I was working today, the wife and her friend went downtown to see 4014.  I'm very jealous.  At least she bought me a lapel pin.
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2019, 09:49:55 PM »
844 came through here a couple of years ago.
Impressive bit of machine.

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

brimic

• friends
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2019, 09:57:29 PM »
Im not into trains, but that video was really cool.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2019, 06:44:20 AM »
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2019, 08:29:14 AM »
Well, Angel Eyes, here's your 4014, from this year:

https://youtu.be/KLsUofb8WNk

I actually took two trips on steam locos back when they were still running steam commercially.  One was a trip to upstate New York on a vacation, the other was down to Florida to visit relatives.  At the time, it was no big deal, they were just trips.  I remember the smell of the coal smoke going through tunnels and the elegant diinng car on the Florida trip, and how boring it was watching things go by.