Author Topic: What's a Garbage Disposal?  (Read 1485 times)

MechAg94

• friend
Re: What's a Garbage Disposal?
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2019, 11:29:01 AM »
She and my ex daughter in law would make a great pair.  the ex DIL expressed surprise when she found out leather came from cows.  She also said one time she didn't know what WWII was.
The wwii is that Nintendo game system from a few years back. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2019, 10:08:18 PM »
Garbage disposals were illegal in New York City until 1997.

They're still not all that common.

So yeah, I can understand that she's not really familiar with them.

The reason they were banned is that New York had a very aged and underperforming sewage disposal system and a lot of vegetable matter going into the sewers can REALLY mess with a sewer plant's proper functioning.

The process of "digesting" can take a LOT longer.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2019, 10:36:02 PM »
I wanna give her the benefit of the doubt, and say she's just being self-deprecating. Hopefully, someone that is elected to Congress would have better ways of figuring out common appliances than by asking her followers in a video. The internet, Lexie. It is a thing.

I don't recall having one anywhere I've lived, but it's not the sort of thing I would remember. The wife gave up asking me for one in this house. I spent a few years working at some apartments, and I think I unclogged/unstuck every garbage disposal in that place, at some point or another. But those horrible memories have faded, and I might surprise the wife with one someday.

As for the flies, I've always heard that disposals need to be cleaned out with things like salt or citrus peels or baking soda. Ice is supposed to be good for them.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

slugcatcher

• friend
« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2019, 08:33:40 AM »
I've heard of them my entire life and I'm nearly 50.  I never had one or had any friends that had one until I was 25.  Hell, I had a garbage disposal before cable was available in my area.  I really can't believe anyone living in a major US city would not know what a garbage disposal is.  I'm curious how long it will be before she goes goes to visit the farm belt to see how the different types of toast are grown.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2019, 09:15:39 AM »
I've never seen the Great Pyramids, but could describe them in general detail and wouldn't be terrified of them if I saw them.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2019, 09:24:24 AM »
I've heard of them my entire life and I'm nearly 50.  I never had one or had any friends that had one until I was 25.  Hell, I had a garbage disposal before cable was available in my area.  I really can't believe anyone living in a major US city would not know what a garbage disposal is.  I'm curious how long it will be before she goes goes to visit the farm belt to see how the different types of toast are grown.

This was just from seeing a little community garden plot.  If she saw an actual farm, she might pass out from excitement. 
https://twitchy.com/gregp-3534/2019/05/01/i-am-shook-aoc-shows-off-her-community-garden-except-for-the-tomato-plant-that-died/
"I am SHOOK, like honestly, gardening, FOOD-- that comes out of dirt... it's Like magic " ~ @AOC   
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2019, 11:40:53 AM »
I still feel it's almost like magic when I grow something I can eat.  Certainly felt that way when I saw all the blossoms on the apple trees this year.

Good info on them being banned in NYC for many years, Mike.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #32 on: May 08, 2019, 11:46:51 AM »
So in other words we got someone that doesn't have a clue what the rest of the world is like outside of a small section of NYC telling us how to live our lives . I guess food coming out of the ground would seem like magic to someone like that.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #33 on: May 08, 2019, 12:01:05 PM »
I've never seen the Great Pyramids, but could describe them in general detail and wouldn't be terrified of them if I saw them.

AOC  would be .....  >:D ......  :rofl:
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #34 on: May 08, 2019, 12:10:50 PM »
So in other words we got someone that doesn't have a clue what the rest of the world is like outside of a small section of NYC telling us how to live our lives . I guess food coming out of the ground would seem like magic to someone like that.

I don't know.... somehow it seems like this deliberate display of ignorance has a purpose behind it.

Don't know what, don't know why, but the extreme airheadedness makes me wonder.

Yeah, yeah, tinfoil hat and all, but holy cow.

WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.