Author Topic: Let's Talk Chronographs  (Read 457 times)

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
Let's Talk Chronographs
« on: May 11, 2019, 02:00:33 PM »
I've been mulling over getting a chronograph now that I'm dabbling in handloading.  Would appreciate the hive mind's recommendations as to makes and models to consider.  Criteria are, in order:
                    Accuracy
                    Robustness
                    Cost

I've been considering this one: 
https://www.opticsplanet.com/shooting-chrony-beta-master-model-beta-master.html?msclkid=fa3cb2208b6218f171faeef78086b6ee&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Shooting%20Chrony%3EShopping&utm_term=4585238367412542&utm_content=Products

"Best rated" according to the website.

This one has fewer features but includes a remote:
https://www.opticsplanet.com/shooting-chrony-alpha-master-w-remote-2-32-shot-memory-measures-high-low-average-5826.html

Which other brands should I look at?

Thanks.

""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

RoadKingLarry

• friends
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
Re: Let's Talk Chronographs
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2019, 02:19:52 PM »
I also have the Chrony Beta Master and it has worked well. I am just now moving into long range precision shooting and hopefully will be getting a Labradar within a year or so. It is spendy but I have heard nothing but good things about them. If I had bought one initially I wouldn't be looking at having to upgrade.

bob

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2019, 04:08:47 PM »
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2019, 04:20:41 PM »
I too, have heard very good things about Labradar.  I like how it gives you velocities as it goes downrange so you can see how fast the bullet sheds velocity.  Spendy, but it might fall under the "Buy once, Cry once" philosophy.

It's also pretty cool that there's nothing downrange to shoot.  Seems like everyone I know with a chrono has a story of hitting part of it.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2019, 06:59:01 PM »
I've been using an Oehler Research 35P for over 25 years with complete satisfaction.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2019, 07:39:45 PM »
For the record, the chronos that use visual detectors aren't that accurate.  If accuracy is your primary concern, you'll want a LabRadar or MagnetoSpeed.  You'll pay for that accuracy, though.

The typical chronograph is good enough for the casual shooter who is only checking loads to make sure they aren't excessive.  If you are into precision or long-range shooting, you'll want the accuracy of the radar or magneto.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?