Author Topic: This just in: the Orville renewed for season three  (Read 1905 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
Re: This just in: the Orville renewed for season three
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2019, 10:27:51 PM »
The owner of the channel that shows that here is in a snit with Direct TV, the last one I saw was the first show of a two parter earlier this year.

bob

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2019, 07:23:41 AM »
I'm a couple episodes behind. I need to catch up.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

robear

• friend
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2019, 02:54:03 PM »
YES!!   :lol: :lol:   Very happy to hear this.    I wasn't sure I was going to like the Orville when I started watching it.  I was worried it was going to be The Family Guy in space.   It's not.   It's good, classic Star Trek-type story telling.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2019, 03:25:13 PM »
YES!!   :lol: :lol:   Very happy to hear this.    I wasn't sure I was going to like the Orville when I started watching it.  I was worried it was going to be The Family Guy in space.   It's not.   It's good, classic Star Trek-type story telling.

It took a while for me to not hear Brian Griffin every time Captain Mercer was in a scene.  And he's in a lot of scenes.  (how would you like to be typecast as a cartoon dog? :))
"It's good, though..."

grampster

• friend
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2019, 05:23:11 PM »
It did get better as it went along this season.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2019, 05:51:24 PM »
It took a while for me to not hear Brian Griffin every time Captain Mercer was in a scene.  And he's in a lot of scenes.  (how would you like to be typecast as a cartoon dog? :))

"Bidabidabidabip.  Could be worse, right, Buck?"  --Twiki
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2019, 07:32:14 PM »

Yep, it is a fairly serious space drama just like Star Trek, just with edgier humor.  I love it.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2019, 08:15:06 AM »
The two parter with Isaac's home world was quite good, although they really took the easy way out for resolving the story line. That gave the series an edge that it hadn't had before.

My favorite is still from the first season, the one about the bioship, titled "If the Stars Should Appear." That one was amazing. Some of the others, though? Cringe beyond belief -- thinking specifically about the episode about the blue dude who broke up Ed and Kelley's marriage, and the one about Bortus' online sex addiction.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

slugcatcher

• friend
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2019, 08:48:51 AM »
I'm just not seeing what all of you are.  I want to like the show but it just seems to miss the mark every time.  I really think it needs better writing.  Every episode is completely predictable.  There never seems to be much depth to the story.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2019, 09:05:59 AM »
I'm just not seeing what all of you are.  I want to like the show but it just seems to miss the mark every time.  I really think it needs better writing.  Every episode is completely predictable.  There never seems to be much depth to the story.

That is how I felt the entire first season, the second season was shaping up to be a little better when I lost the channel that carried it. I guess I will catch up online and see what happened. IMO there are very brief periods where it looks like it has really good potential and then it just peters out.

bob

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2019, 09:09:26 AM »

No, you just need to be a better viewer.  :rofl:

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2019, 09:22:34 AM »
Yeah, I'm still not completely sold on it, but I'm not "not sold" either. :)

I still get irked by some of the stupid lib-speak and indoctrination, but it's hard to find current TV programming without it. I think they've gotten a bit better regarding the junior high / frat boy humor, especially with not mixing it with serious episodes. So I'm not writing it off, but it's still firmly in the "pass the time" category of stuff to watch for me, versus the "making time to watch it" category that shows like Justified are (were) in.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2019, 09:33:41 AM »
Yeah, because Justified was SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO slice of live that happens every day realistic.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2019, 09:55:12 AM »
Yeah, because Justified was SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO slice of live that happens every day realistic.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Did I say it was?  ???
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2019, 10:47:24 AM »
Do I care if you did or not?

NO!  >:D

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2019, 04:34:20 PM »
Damn it!

https://www.theverge.com/2019/7/21/20702680/the-orville-hulu-season-3-fox-seth-macfarland-san-diego-comic-con-2019

If you want to watch season three, you have to subscribe to Hulu.  We do not.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2019, 05:32:12 PM »

"You the type of fella that walks under a flock of birds and is surprised when he ends up with *expletive deleted*it on his face?"
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2019, 06:07:27 PM »
Damn it!

https://www.theverge.com/2019/7/21/20702680/the-orville-hulu-season-3-fox-seth-macfarland-san-diego-comic-con-2019

If you want to watch season three, you have to subscribe to Hulu.  We do not.

I repeat: this "everyone has their own streaming service" crap is going to crash and burn. It's like they want every show to have its own subscribe channel. Even if they all went to some aggregator like Amazon Prime where it might be easy to subscribe, I'm not paying $475/mo for 75 different *expletive deleted*ing subscriptions to watch my stories. Not to mention keeping track of all the subscriptions you're using and not using.

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2019, 06:27:14 PM »
I already watch The Orville on Hulu, but yes, multiple services are super irritating.  I'm not happy that I won't be able to watch Picard right away.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2019, 06:46:44 PM »
I repeat: this "everyone has their own streaming service" crap is going to crash and burn. It's like they want every show to have its own subscribe channel. Even if they all went to some aggregator like Amazon Prime where it might be easy to subscribe, I'm not paying $475/mo for 75 different *expletive deleted*ing subscriptions to watch my stories. Not to mention keeping track of all the subscriptions you're using and not using.

It might be better if every show was pay-per-view.  Then you could pick and choose what you want to watch rather then the $475/mo for 75 different subscriptions to get the 12 you want to watch. 
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2019, 06:51:36 PM »
It might be better if every show was pay-per-view.  Then you could pick and choose what you want to watch rather then the $475/mo for 75 different subscriptions to get the 12 you want to watch. 

I kind of feel like that now, having Netflix, Amazon, and Youtube TV. Adding the costs of the three of them up*, plus always trying to remember which of my programs is where, I'm finding that I'm really not that much better off than with cable.

* I realize Amazon Prime TV is "included" in my membership, but it's got to be at least 30 or so bucks of it.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2019, 11:25:48 PM »
It might be better if every show was pay-per-view.  Then you could pick and choose what you want to watch rather then the $475/mo for 75 different subscriptions to get the 12 you want to watch.  

I've been wanting this at the channel level with cable for 15 years.  It's why I was a cord-cutter in the first place and an early adopter of the practice.

I'm enthusiastic about the notion of having shows I can buy for $2 an episode on Amazon, or being able to start/stop HBO subscriptions on demand through their service.

I haven't lapsed Netflix subscription since I started streaming with them early when they first offered it, but I have shitcanned Hulu due to their advertising structure.  Right now we're technically subscribed to Hulu for Handmaid's Tale, but I rip it online elsewhere in order to avoid the commercials and stream it from my home media server.  Once the season is over for that show, if Hulu has nothing else to merit our custom, I'll cancel the subscription.

In general I prefer to pay the actual show producers by buying the show, rather than buying the "channel" or streaming service.  Handmaid's Tale S3 isn't available from Amazon for purchase on an episode or season basis, so I give them the money I can, but don't feel bad in the least for avoiding the commercials.

Honestly, I think the commercials are more SJW-pandering and culture-shaping than most shows.  It's been at least 15 years since I've been subjected to 30% advertising for 70% entertainment time, and the experience is frankly quite jarring any more, even watching something on a DVR where skip/fast-forward is available.

ETA:  I really think Netflix "gets it."  They go out of their way to avoid any advertising.  No pre-roll, no post-roll, no nothing.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2019, 08:05:03 AM »
Really? *expletive deleted*ing really? That's a HUGE pain in the ass.

I'll have to think hard about whether I like the show enough to pay for Hulu.

What I might do is pay for a month of Hulu, binge watch The Orville, and cancel Hulu.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2019, 08:27:44 AM »
What I might do is pay for a month of Hulu, binge watch The Orville, and cancel Hulu.

This is what I did with HBO and Game of Thrones.

While I've been knocking where subscription services seem to be going, one positive thing I will say is that I do really, really like the "no contract" concept. Subscribe for a month, binge your show, unsubscribe. Repeat as desired. Way better than two year cable contracts.