Author Topic: Blocking Scammer Phone Numbers  (Read 2492 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Blocking Scammer Phone Numbers
« on: May 16, 2019, 09:44:21 AM »
Background: I have been extremely lucky regarding spam/scam calls to my cell phone. Over the years, I have averaged maybe one per month. That all changed last week. Somehow the "office of social security" scammers got my number, and I've been getting at least a couple of calls a day from them. I've been using (I don't know if it's Verizon or Samsung) my phone's "block this number" feature to block each number that calls. Of course they seem to use a new number everytime they call, so I don't know how much that helps, however...

Results: So a couple of days ago, I was getting a bunch of calls from them, and during my frustrated cussing session, I accidentally got fat fingered and also blocked my gravel guy's (who called me in between spam calls) number by mistake. So he called yesterday to let me know he was on his way to deliver a load to me, and it went straight to VM. I only knew he called because my watch alerted me to a VM. I of course then figured out what happened and unblocked him. However...

Question: What good is blocking the spam numbers if they can still leave a VM for me? I'm curious if this is my phone/provider or if this is common? Do others here block spam numbers, and do you then still get VMs from them?
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Re: Blocking Scammer Phone Numbers
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2019, 09:55:08 AM »
Spammers seem to use spoof random call-back numbers so I don't even bother. I've resorted to letting everything go to voicemail unless it's someone in my Contacts list.

That being said, I started getting a bunch of "Re Up Your Health Insurance!" calls that seemed legit (well, legit for phone solicitations). I started answering calls so I could select the remove-me-from-your-list option. That helped a fair bit, though only for the legit stuff. Scam calls are still a nuisance.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2019, 09:55:15 AM »
"Question: What good is blocking the spam numbers if they can still leave a VM for me? I'm curious if this is my phone/provider or if this is common? Do others here block spam numbers, and do you then still get VMs from them?"

It doesn't ring and disturb you in the moment.

I agree that it's not really much of a benefit.

I also have a Samsung with Verizon, so I can't answer your question whether it's the phone or the carrier.

I've considered getting one of the apps like Nomorobo or something like that. Supposedly they're very good.

When I was job searching I pretty much had to answer calls as I didn't know if it was coming from a recruiter, a company, etc. About 75% of the calls that came in during that time were spam.

Now that I'm employed again, though, anything that comes through from a state where I have no friends/connections gets dumped. Anything starting with my area code and the first three of my phone number are dumped (that's a new tactic from scammers, makes it seem as though someone local is calling you). Anything listed as out of the area or unknown is dumped. I've simply quit adding numbers to my blocked calls list for the simple reason is that with today's technology they spoof a different origin number every time.

A few moths ago I was getting a dozen calls a day, or more, from "Nancy," about a pain relieving back or knee brace. The message said to "stay on the line to speak with me!"

So, I did... And every time they answered and introduced themselves I'd ask for Nancy, and continue to ask for Nancy, because, goddamn it, that's who was on the line and I want to talk to HER!

Boy did I have some fun... Until those calls rather oddly stopped coming in after about 3 days...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2019, 10:04:25 AM »
It doesn't ring and disturb you in the moment.

I agree that it's not really much of a benefit.

I also have a Samsung with Verizon, so I can't answer your question whether it's the phone or the carrier.

I've considered getting one of the apps like Nomorobo or something like that. Supposedly they're very good.

Yeah, I guess one way to look at it is that I'm not disturbed, and also, if calls didn't go to VM, I wouldn't have known that my gravel guy called and that I'd accidentally blocked him.

I'm about ready to check out apps as well. Also maybe just going ahead and getting an Idaho number. Verizon will let me keep my current one as a virtual, so I can keep using it as a throwaway, and be selective on who gets the ID number (not that it will help regarding the software the spammers use).
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2019, 10:06:00 AM »
Spammers seem to use spoof random call-back numbers so I don't even bother. I've resorted to letting everything go to voicemail unless it's someone in my Contacts list.

That being said, I started getting a bunch of "Re Up Your Health Insurance!" calls that seemed legit (well, legit for phone solicitations). I started answering calls so I could select the remove-me-from-your-list option. That helped a fair bit, though only for the legit stuff. Scam calls are still a nuisance.

Brad

If it's not in my contacts or I don't recognize it, 90%+ of the time it's a scam call.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2019, 10:09:21 AM »
If it's not in my contacts or I don't recognize it, 90%+ of the time it's a scam call.

Yeah, I usually don't answer my phone if the number isn't in my contacts, however since I've moved I've been collecting a bunch of new numbers from people coming out to do work or deliver something, etc., so I've been stuck answering 208 area code calls so I don't miss something. I'll hopefully be able to go back to full time screening soon, given how much I hate to talk on the phone.  :laugh:

HankB

• friend
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2019, 10:35:14 AM »
I get a lot of robo/scam calls on my landline - I just let all calls go directly to my answering machine, and only pick up if someone legit starts to leave a message. Once in a while, though, I answer . . . and if it's a telemarketer I say "I'm on both Texas and Federal 'Do Not Call' lists, so you're committing both state and Federal offenses by calling me. That makes you part of a criminal organization, and I don't deal with crooks." And then I hang up. (I'm sure this leaves the scammer in Pakistan or Bangladesh or Bombay quaking in his sandals . . . )
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2019, 10:38:04 AM »
Assuming they wear sandals?

RACIST!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2019, 11:00:11 AM »
This Indian footwear kind of look like a sandal to me . . .

Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2019, 11:22:42 AM »
I have Verizon and use the transcription feature. The junk calls go to VM but I can glance at it and delete without having to spend time listening to it. I would rather not get them at all but it’s minor effort to delete them
What we have here is failure to communicate.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2019, 11:35:21 AM »
I have a Samsung with Verizon. My phone is set up so that I can "Reject" unwanted numbers. I have to assume that this doesn't allow them to leave a voicemail message, because I have never found any messages from spam callers in voicemail.

The phone is on the charger at the other end of the house at the moment, so I'm going by memory here. IIRC, to reject a number I think I go to "Phone," then "Recent," then I tap the number I want to block so that number is the number whose information is displayed on the screen. Then I tap the menu icon at lower left (next to the Home button), which brings up a pop-up menu. One of the choices on that list is "Reject Caller."

I use it with care, because I've never stumbled across a way to UNreject a number if I make a mistake.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2019, 11:44:20 AM »
I get them in spurts. If it has my prefix I normally answer, don't say a thing and it disconnects in a few seconds, then I block it. My land line got a call the other day from itself. The caller ID showed my name and the home number. My wife ignored it, as we usually do. The answering machine takes the calls and I seldom get a message left.

bob

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2019, 11:55:07 AM »
I have a Samsung with Verizon. My phone is set up so that I can "Reject" unwanted numbers. I have to assume that this doesn't allow them to leave a voicemail message, because I have never found any messages from spam callers in voicemail.

The phone is on the charger at the other end of the house at the moment, so I'm going by memory here. IIRC, to reject a number I think I go to "Phone," then "Recent," then I tap the number I want to block so that number is the number whose information is displayed on the screen. Then I tap the menu icon at lower left (next to the Home button), which brings up a pop-up menu. One of the choices on that list is "Reject Caller."

I use it with care, because I've never stumbled across a way to UNreject a number if I make a mistake.

It should be "block caller" for Verizon + Samsung. You can block and unblock at will. Though if you're sure you see "reject caller" it may all be tied to Samsung and the model of the phone. I have an S9 and  I follow a similar routine, other than the terminology and (obviously from my OP) the ability to unblock. I also have "reject caller" but that is different - it only works for an active incoming call. To block a number after the fact, it's "block caller" for me.

I believe I haven't had a spam call go to VM because they haven''t used the same number twice. I only got the VM yesterday because my gravel guy used his office phone, which would be the same number.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2019, 11:59:50 AM »
I also have the S9.

I'm pretty sure that blocking the call will allow them to leave a voice mail.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2019, 12:02:12 PM »
I also have the S9.

I'm pretty sure that blocking the call will allow them to leave a voice mail.

It absolutely does, as per my S9 and my gravel guy. I was just saying that the spammers calling me right now never seem to use the same number twice, hence I'm getting both the annoying call and the annoying VM.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2019, 12:06:04 PM »
"hence I'm getting both the annoying call and the annoying VM."

Well that's annoying.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2019, 12:26:31 PM »
It should be "block caller" for Verizon + Samsung. You can block and unblock at will. Though if you're sure you see "reject caller" it may all be tied to Samsung and the model of the phone.

The actual menu choice is "Add to reject list." My phone is still a Galaxy SIII, and apparently either Samsung or Verizon changed the way it works when the S4 came out.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2019, 12:51:49 PM »
I get a lot of robo/scam calls on my landline - I just let all calls go directly to my answering machine, and only pick up if someone legit starts to leave a message.

Pretty much ditto.

When I retired, one of my major goals was to simplify things to avoid stress, and like Ben, I hate talking on the telephone.* So now all I have, phone-wise, is my copper-wired land line connected to my answering machine, a cordless house phone for walking around with, and a wired house phone next to me by the couch.

If a call comes in, after four ringie dingies the machine will throw out the simple outgoing message and the beep.  Robocalls seem to be sensitive to the fact that an answering machine has answered and hang  up. It's sort of a built in IFF system.

If someone starts to leave a message I have the option of answering or calling back.  The Sheriff's Emergency Notification Service will leave a recorded message.

I also got a simple Motorola flip phone through AARP a long time ago which costs me all of $15 + taxes and fees strictly for emergencies.  It is never on unless there's an emergency or I want to make a call when I'm away from the house.  I have never set up the VM function on it, so all callers get is a "not available" answer.

Ah, the simple life.

Mike, don't you dare call this "virtue signaling," it's just the way things are around this simple and efficient household.

Terry, 230RN

*This is largely because growing up, "Ma Bell" would charge 10¢ per three minute "message unit," and one or another of the authority units would be reminding me to get off the phone, what do  you think I'm made of money?  That stuck, somehow.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2019, 01:28:41 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2019, 01:10:52 PM »
"Mike, don't you dare call this "virtue signaling," it's just the way things are around this simple and efficient household."

It's not virtue signaling...

It's call forwarding.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2019, 01:11:56 PM »
"My phone is still a Galaxy SIII..."

Jesus...

Gonna start calling your Grok and asking how your cave remodel is coming...  :rofl:

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2019, 01:20:17 PM »
I just did a quick test with my phone, my Galaxy S9.

I wanted to know how the different activities functioned, so I called my cell phone from my desk phone.

When a call comes in the screen gives you the option of swiping to the right to answer it, or swiping to the left to reject it.

Swiping to the left sends it straight to voice mail. OK, that's fine.

So, after that, I went into recents and chose to block it. When I selected block, a message came up stating "Block Number? You won't receive any calls or messages from this number from now on."

So I blocked my desk number and used it to call my cell phone again. Well, I don't know what Samsung/Verizon is talking about when it says that I won't receive messages from a blocked number because I was able to leave myself a voice mail. I guess they mean text messages?

In any event, I'd rather call blocking also prevent callers from leaving me a voice mail. But I guess that wouldn't have worked with your gravel guy, Ben.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2019, 01:22:43 PM »
Yup, your's is functioning exactly like mine, Mike.