Author Topic: Mass shooting in the workplace at Virginia Beach  (Read 7165 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: Mass shooting in the workplace at Virginia Beach
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2019, 10:29:03 PM »
Reading a suppressor was used,
That means kiss goodbye any hope of the rules being loosened up on them
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2019, 10:35:26 PM »
In the comments at foxnews
All right wingers are not mass shooters, but all mass shooters are right wing gun nuts, by definition.
:facepalm:
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2019, 10:54:23 PM »
- Calvin and Hobbes

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2019, 11:33:44 PM »
I don't know about the suppressor part of this .... one report I heard said people heard gunshots.  I know suppressors don't make guns go "pffft" like on tv .... but can the average Joe today really know what a suppressed gun sounds like?

The extended mag part might be true though .....

I guess the facts will straighten out as more is reported .....
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2019, 11:38:23 PM »
I don't know about the suppressor part of this .... one report said people heard gunshots. I know suppressors don't make guns go "pffft" like on tv .... but can the average Joe today really know what a suppressed gun sounds like?

The extended mag part might be true though .....

I guess the facts will straighten out as more is reported .....

That was brought up in some of the comments I've read and it has been suggested that they were hearing the gunshots from the police during the shootout they had with him.
- Calvin and Hobbes

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2019, 11:40:22 PM »
That was brought up in some of the comments I've read and it has been suggested that they were hearing the gunshots from the police during the shootout they had with him.

That makes sense. 

Now I'm wondering if it was a legal suppressor ... or surppressor as the British apparently spell it ....
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2019, 06:28:29 AM »
Looks like the shooter may not fitting the narrative again but I'm sure the libs will jump on the suppressor aspect of the story.

Edit: and extended mag
« Last Edit: June 01, 2019, 06:40:43 AM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2019, 08:13:23 AM »
Specifics don't matter. The spin is "extended magazines" and "silencers". The Today show reported on the gun supposedly used before reporting on the state of the survivors. I think they're going to try to go after handguns or all guns. The reporter stressed how common .45's are and how "extended"* mags are legal in VA.

*Extended in reporter could be actual extended mags or anything over ten rounds.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2019, 08:16:16 AM »
Black Muslim Democrat is the rumor I’ve run across.

No confirmation from the mainstream propaganda sources yet.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2019, 08:22:00 AM »
Black Muslim Democrat is the rumor I’ve run across.

No confirmation from the mainstream propaganda sources yet.

Too much static coming from both sides. So far all we know for sure is his name.
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2019, 09:42:16 AM »
Here we go

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2019/06/daniel-zimmerman/virginia-beach-shooter-used-a-45-handgun-and-suppressor-to-murder-12-people/

Ban and buy-back every single assault weapon in America.

Background checks on ALL firearms purchases.

None of these solutions are beyond our imagination. Let’s prove they’re not beyond our will.

— Eric Swalwell (@ericswalwell) June 1, 2019

The Virginia Beach gunman was the @NRA’s definition of a good guy with a gun until he opened fire. Gun lobbyists who help write our nation’s gun laws push for high capacity magazines and deregulating silencers. This wasn’t an act of nature; it was an act of legislative cowardice. https://t.co/uricsVKkxM

— Shannon Watts (@shannonrwatts) June 1, 2019
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2019, 10:33:37 AM »
https://www.ajc.com/news/virginia-beach-shooting-who-was-dewayne-craddock-identified-the-gunman/f7Qxa0OYtPTOaXUk9Mo70H/

Many years as an engineer and project manager.

Quiet single guy.

Looks like multiple firearm purchases made recently.

Not much else out there yet.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2019, 10:49:03 AM »
He sure screwed the gun community by using a suppressor. Intentional?
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2019, 10:57:33 AM »
Not hard to make your own suppressor so you would think it would be relatively easy for an engineer to do so.
- Calvin and Hobbes

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2019, 10:59:46 AM »
3D print a Pop Bottle "suppressor" adapter REAL easily!
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2019, 11:03:06 AM »
Or the old oil filter trick
But I think they're only good for maybe one shot IIRC
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2019, 01:02:38 PM »
I will be very interested to see the follow up on the suppressor, or even if it is one (other than homemade field expedient). They said a bunch of firearms purchases recently, but though I haven't gone through the process yet, a suppressor takes time.

Limited information makes it sound like he only recently acquired firearms, so some possibilities:

He had firearms beforehand and went through the whole suppressor acquisition process sometime in the past.

Homemade suppressor.

No suppressor and/or the media doesn't know what it's talking about.

Either way, yeah, suppressors will be in the crosshairs with the anti's PR being that they are whisper quiet and you can buy them at the grocery store, and then of course ARs, even though they had nothing to do with it.

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2019, 01:13:07 PM »
Did law enforcement actually say it was a sound suppressor or was it just one of those fake suppressors or a flash can?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2019, 01:16:19 PM »
Did law enforcement actually say it was a sound suppressor or was it just one of those fake suppressors or a flash can?

Or maybe a compensator?
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2019, 01:16:46 PM »
Or the old oil filter trick
But I think they're only good for maybe one shot IIRC
A gun store near me sells the legal adapter to install oil filters on your gun.  I never thought it was a great deal when you can get a real, durable 22 suppressor for a few hundred more.

I have heard they are good for a number of shots (22 LR), but if you think about it, it is essentially paper wipes that are destroyed pretty quickly.  I imagine the sounds suppression gets progressively worse after the first shot.  

“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2019, 01:18:49 PM »
From one of the npr links.
The suspect was armed with a .45-caliber handgun and a sound suppressor, the police chief said, along with extended magazines that the suspect reloaded as he proceeded.

Virginia Beach Police are working with federal law enforcement agencies to process the scene and investigate. Cervera deferred an answer on whether the suspect had acquired the handgun legally, saying the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives is working on that question.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2019, 01:37:34 PM »

A long-time public works employee goes to the office and starts shooting: 11 people dead including the shooter.

Yep, another disgruntled employee shooting in a GFZ that you know has to be a Kafka-esq bureaucratic purgatory for the folks there.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Hawkmoon

• friend
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2019, 04:16:03 PM »
I will be very interested to see the follow up on the suppressor, or even if it is one (other than homemade field expedient). They said a bunch of firearms purchases recently, but though I haven't gone through the process yet, a suppressor takes time.

Limited information makes it sound like he only recently acquired firearms, so some possibilities:

He had firearms beforehand and went through the whole suppressor acquisition process sometime in the past.

Homemade suppressor.

No suppressor and/or the media doesn't know what it's talking about.

Either way, yeah, suppressors will be in the crosshairs with the anti's PR being that they are whisper quiet and you can buy them at the grocery store, and then of course ARs, even though they had nothing to do with it.

I'm confused. Did the [alleged] suppressor make the bullets deadlier? Would the victims be any less dead if the shooter had not [allegedly] used a suppressor? If he had not been able to buy (or make) a suppressor, would he have NOT gone on a shooting spree?

MENTAL HEALTH! MENTAL HEALTH! MENTAL HEALTH!

It's not the guns, people. He was an engineer. If he couldn't have gotten guns, don't you think an engineer could have built a bomb?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design