Author Topic: Worhtless wire connectors...  (Read 801 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Worhtless wire connectors...
« on: May 28, 2019, 12:34:58 PM »
I purchased a new motion sensor LED light for my pantry and put it up yesterday.

It came with this kind of wire connector...

https://www.dhgate.com/product/30pcs-ch2-quick-splice-lock-wire-connectors/422352592.html#pdsosim-3-5|null:9001:r0670008709

Absolutely worthless. They don't hold the wires securely, and in pushing them back up into the box it's almost guaranteed that the wires will either pull out or the tab will get pushed and release the wire.

I tried twice and both times the clips released, killing the light. I went with wire nuts in the end.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: Worhtless wire connectors...
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2019, 02:37:43 PM »
I've never seen those. I hope I never encounter them in the wild. They just reek of being a disaster in the making.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2019, 02:41:58 PM »
I've used ones that have a small block with side by side holes. You stick the wires in the holes and tighten a screw for each hole and it clamps the wire in to place very neatly. Those I will use again.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2019, 04:13:22 PM »
Same principle as “scotch locks”. And just as worthless.

We’ve seen the “low heat solder” connecters pop up on wiring “repairs” on equipment since a company on Facebook is pushing them and they look attractive to the hacks. Utter junk. https://youtu.be/xCK3GQJzx74
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2019, 04:18:26 PM »
Same principle as “scotch locks”. And just as worthless.

We’ve seen the “low heat solder” connecters pop up on wiring “repairs” on equipment since a company on Facebook is pushing them and they look attractive to the hacks. Utter junk. https://youtu.be/xCK3GQJzx74

In the right application a Scotch lock is just fine, non physically stressed low voltage, small gauge wire like telephone wiring in a dry environment.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2019, 09:16:38 AM »
The scotchloks are a lot like some of the replacement lamp plugs that are out there. You cut the wire straight, push it into the plug, when squeeze the prongs together. Teeth on the prongs pierce the wire and make the connection. Supposedly. I've never been very comfortable with that kind of plug because it forces a lot of current through a very small contact area, and that concerns me. I'll stick with screw terminal plugs.

Speaking of which, I need to remember to get a replacement plug. The molded on plug on my long extension cord is letting loose.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2019, 01:06:26 AM »
Proper scotch locks are actually really good.

But if you're like me you just solder everything just so you don't have to worry about it.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2019, 10:17:18 AM »

But if you're like me you just solder everything just so you don't have to worry about it.

Usually true-  but not in a high vibration situation- copper hardens under heat and the soldered joint is subject to fatigue failure. A good crimp avoids this problem.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2019, 11:33:37 AM »
For God's sake, you solder your household wiring?

zahc

• friend
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2019, 07:55:02 PM »
No, wire nuts are ok with me if used right. Wire nuts are illegal in Europe I hear. I do solder my sprinkler wiring, car wiring,
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2019, 07:55:05 AM »
Apparently wire nuts fell out of favor in Britain (not 100% sure if they're actually banned or not) because the earliest ones were ceramic and would crack and leave the connection exposed if overtightened. Not a good thing when you're dealing with 240 volt systems.

I was also reading something about how the British tend to wire differently and there are very few instances where wire nuts would be used.

In Europe they apparently tend to use the terminal blocks for connections.