Author Topic: Interesting bike related stuff I've found  (Read 1187 times)

mtnbkr

• friend
Interesting bike related stuff I've found
« on: February 15, 2007, 10:39:02 AM »
With my recent road bike purchase, I've been perusing the Internet for "out of the ordinary" gear for my bike.  I'm kinda left cold by the racerboy stuff on most sites.  Here are some neat sites i've found:

http://www.velo-orange.com/
http://www.rivbike.com/
http://peterwhitecycles.com

Prices are kinda high, but a lot of what they sell on their sites isn't easily available.  Much of it is geared towards retro cyclists, tourers, etc. 

Chris

Cosmoline

• friend
Re: Interesting bike related stuff I've found
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2007, 12:46:10 PM »
Thanks!  I'd never seen velo-orange before and some of their accessories are drool worthy.

I've heard mixed things about Rivendell.  The criticism is mostly that they're hugely overpriced and you can get the same thing for a lot less.   But they do make a beautiful bike.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2007, 12:57:24 PM »
I just "discovered" velo-orange myself.  Even better, they're sort of local.

I've heard the same about Rivendell.  I think a lot of it is based on the visceral hate many technogeek bikers have of Grant Peterson, the original retro-grouch.  I was an active mountain biker and consumer of bike magazines when Bridgestone imploded in the US.  I remember clearly his struggles with Shimano while building bikes that were based on solid technology and not fads, etc.  I like the fact that he actually stresses RIDING your bike and not "compenting", or "fitness", or "extreme sports". 

Some of their stuff is overpriced, some isn't.  The bikes are the most overpriced part of the company, but they are nice bikes.  You're not going to find a new production lugged steel frame for much less than a grand, certainly not one as nice as the Rivs.

Chris

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2007, 01:20:34 PM »
Thanks for the links.  Those Velo Orange folks will be getting some of my money in the near future.

I dig the Rivendell folks.  Their philosophy agrees with mine.  You don't need the latest uber-hightech gizmos to enjoy riding a bike.  Racing gear is best left for the racers.

Their stuff is definitely expensive, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's overpriced.  Lots of their stuff is carefully handmade by folks who really understand and care about what they're doing.  Obviously it's going to be more expensive than gear that's designed around a price point and mass produced in a third-world sweatshop/factory.  Some of the stuff Riv sells can't be had anywhere else for any price, which makes it a darned good deal if it's something you really want or need.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2007, 02:55:08 PM »
I'm really tempted to get some garnet shellac flakes from VO and putting a few coats on my white cork grips. 

Chris

Cosmoline

• friend
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2007, 03:37:04 PM »
I saw those flakes, too.  But I pictured them going on some dry, exposed Mosin stocks  grin 

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2007, 02:35:19 AM »
Oooohhh, retro-irific....
And here I am thinking of getting another fad bike this year....

JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2007, 05:58:44 AM »

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2007, 08:47:00 AM »
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2007, 09:12:50 AM »
Blah blah blah buy bikes instead of riding them blah blah blah. Tongue

Chris

mtnbkr

• friend
Paging Cosmoline...
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2007, 04:51:33 PM »
I got to fondle the Electra Amsterdam today (at the Fairfax REI).  It's a nice bike and much lighter than I expected.  I didn't ride it because my wife and kid were waiting, but it seems to be a good quality bike.  That said, due to the very upright riding position, the gears better be nice and low.  I can't pedal from that position very well and would need some seriously low gearing to climb any hills.  IMO, the price is high at $550.

Chris