Author Topic: I have again introduced legislation to permanently ban assault weapons.  (Read 1746 times)

wingnutx

• friend
  • Danish Cartoonist
    • http://www.punk-rock.com
Yesterday we learned of more unnecessary deaths from gun violence in Philadelphia, PA and Salt Lake City, UT. I am saddened to hear of these events and have introduced legislation that if enacted will prevent further violence.

In Philadelphia, a gunman opened fire on his colleagues using an AK-47 assault rifle he legally purchased. These dangerous weapons, which are intended to hit multiple targets in a short period of time, were allowed back on our streets when the federal ban on assault weapons expired in 2004. The deaths in Philadelphia could have been prevented if Congress had done its job of protecting the homeland and renewed the assault weapons ban.

I have again introduced legislation to permanently ban assault weapons. These weapons have no practical use. They are not used by hunters for sport or by individuals for self-defense. They are intended to kill as many individuals as possible in a short amount of time and have no place on our streets. The unfortunate situation in Philadelphia could have been avoided if Congress stood up to the gun lobby in 2004.

http://carolynmccarthy.house.gov/index.cfm?ContentID=686&ParentID=0&SectionID=32&SectionTree=32&lnk=b&ItemID=675

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
Re: I have again introduced legislation to permanently ban assault weapons.
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2007, 01:08:59 PM »
Thanks, I needed a good barf...
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2007, 01:29:36 PM »
Well, at least we have a Republican controlled congress that we can count on to make sure the bill won't go anywhere.

Oh, wait...

drewtam

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2007, 01:59:47 PM »
At least we have a Republican President who would veto such a bill.

Oh, wait...
I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!

mustanger98

• friend
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2007, 03:00:30 PM »
It didn't take 'em long to get that ball rolling again. It was political suicide when they weren't talking about it, but they have a short enough memory they don't see it's still political suicide.

Instead of banning guns, we need to ban politicians.

Cosmoline

• friend
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2007, 03:34:51 PM »
No text available on Thomas yet, but it's already gone to Committee. 

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/D?d110:9:./temp/~bdki8n:undecided/bss/d110query.html|

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2007, 04:25:52 PM »
No.  Bills go straight to committee.  Most bills never make it out of committee.  This bill has one sponsor.  It has no co-sponsors.  I'd put the chances for passage on a par with the proverbial snowball.
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2007, 04:35:34 PM »
Now let's see if the NRA actually jumps on this in a timely manner, to expose them for exploiting tragedy and show people that extremist leftists like her are still around.

Either the DLC will tell her to shut the hell up and knock it off, or it's a good tool to pop the Obama/Hillary bubble.

mustanger98

• friend
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2007, 05:29:22 PM »
the proverbial snowball.

The one in hell? Yeah.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2007, 06:46:11 PM »
Don't be surprised if this bill grows some legs.  I don't subscribe to the theory that the Democrat party still believes gun control is the third rail of politics.  They are in power, and IMO they will exercise that power, to our detriment.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2007, 07:13:00 PM »
Awkward stage indeed.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2007, 04:23:03 AM »
Don't be surprised if this bill grows some legs.  I don't subscribe to the theory that the Democrat party still believes gun control is the third rail of politics.  They are in power, and IMO they will exercise that power, to our detriment.

If it goes any farther, we CAN use it as a tool. If it goes farther, shout it from the rooftops, print up pamplets that are easy to read and leave them at gun shops, ranges, hunting weigh-in stations, community centers and houses of worship (that are not soccer-parent-anti sorts), and LET PEOPLE KNOW. With the reminder that if Obama or Hillary get in, they'll have carte blanche to do just that.

Be reasonable in your composition. Come off as "these rifles saved peoples' lives after Katrina", not all "Turner diaries".

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2007, 04:25:24 AM »

I believe she introduces this every session.  It will get nowhere, as the lack of co-sponsors indicates. Just something for her to bring home to show she is "serious about crime."
Oddly the bill is getting publicity by all the nonsense on gun boards.  I'd suggest we just STFU and let it die, like all the other bills she's introduced.
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2007, 04:34:55 AM »

I believe she introduces this every session.  It will get nowhere, as the lack of co-sponsors indicates. Just something for her to bring home to show she is "serious about crime."
Oddly the bill is getting publicity by all the nonsense on gun boards.  I'd suggest we just STFU and let it die, like all the other bills she's introduced.

Even if it can be leveraged into a way to help kill the Obama-mania among the "mainstream"? I agree, if it goes no further, ignore it. But if it DOES get out of committee...

denfoote1

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2007, 08:14:16 PM »
Gun Owners of America is all over it!!!

My Congress Critter has been e-mailed.

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2007, 07:12:50 AM »
I think Rabbi has nailed it.

However, I concur that this is an Awkward Stage. police
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2007, 10:04:03 AM »
I just looked at the bill as it was introduced.  There is nothing about banning anything in there.  All the bill is messing with is changing the NICS.  Main think is making sure that records are updated quicker from state and local levels.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2007, 10:09:19 AM »
I just looked at the bill as it was introduced.  There is nothing about banning anything in there.  All the bill is messing with is changing the NICS.  Main think is making sure that records are updated quicker from state and local levels.

Correct, but she also sponsored a bill (H.R. 1022) about the same time to essentially re-authorize the Federal AWB, except this time with a few more restrictions. http://thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=256516
Andy

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2007, 10:48:09 AM »
Cosine you are correct and here is a link to the full text of the bill as it is now written

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/D?c110:1:./temp/~c110NKTBhv::

Goes as far to spell out certain individual models that would be wrong to purchase and even transfer.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2007, 10:50:14 AM »
Cosine you are correct and here is a link to the full text of the bill as it is now written

Goes as far to spell out certain individual models that would be wrong to purchase and even transfer.

Here's the long thread on THR about it: http://thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=255366
Andy

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2007, 01:13:32 PM »

Looks like they cribbed the Cook County list. I notice my Kel-Tec on there, even though it's a pistol-calber carbine. Whee.