Author Topic: Good coffee machine  (Read 2492 times)

Nick1911

• Administrator
Good coffee machine
« on: February 15, 2007, 01:23:13 PM »
Anyone have suggestions for a good coffee machine?  I'm looking for something inexpensive, but that brews at the correct temperature and doesn't over-extract coffee.  My current coffee machine sucks and the only way I can make coffee that is drinkable is by making it very weak.  I don't want a ton of features, just an on/off switch.  I don't mind paying for a quality product, but I'm really tired of the built-down-to-a-price crap that is available locally.  Same for a burr grinder, actually.

Thoughts?

De Selby

• friend
Re: Good coffee machine
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2007, 02:01:42 PM »
Get a coffee plunger.  Just let the coffee sit in there for as little time as you like, and push the filter down to stop the brewing.  Cheaper and simpler than a top flight coffee machine.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2007, 02:55:25 PM »
Get a coffee plunger.  Just let the coffee sit in there for as little time as you like, and push the filter down to stop the brewing.  Cheaper and simpler than a top flight coffee machine.
Are you thinking of a French press?

http://www.espressozone.com/french-press-coffee-makers.html
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

wuluf

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2007, 02:57:30 PM »
take a look at krups.  they're the only one that brews coffee hot enough for me..

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2007, 02:59:00 PM »
Various Capresso, Zojirushi and KitchenAid models are all very well regarded by coffee fans, but expect to pay at least $ 100 for them.  If you wish specific model recommendations, let me know.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2007, 03:07:50 PM »
I have a Krups, with the water pump that forces water through the boiler vs. using boiler steam pressure to do the job.  Nice, but not terribly cheap.
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2007, 03:17:33 PM »
SgtBob,

That's exactly the same machine.  I first saw them in Australia...called coffee plungers.  "French Press" sure sounds a lot cooler though Smiley
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2007, 05:32:07 PM »
I have a Cuisinart coffee machine that has an insulated carafe. I love it but it will set you back a $100, you can find them at Kohls or Younkers stores.

My burr grinder is a Mr Coffee burr grinder and it works great. I'm not sure how much it cost because its a wedding gift. You can find those at Target.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Trisha

• friend
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2007, 08:23:09 PM »
Coffee is a requisite life-support component to my day.  I recommend the Capresso MT500.  My review is on Coffee Geek.  It's a better carafe than the Zoji or the Cuisinart, though the lid requires a little attention.  The holy grail, the Technivorm, has something of a cult following.  Avoid ANY coffee maker that uses a hot plate unless you are fond of scorched coffee.

I roast my own coffee - it's easy, and inexpensive unless you get fixated on roasting machines.

The whirly-blade grinder can be improved on, but unless you want to use a hand grinder (forged, and maybe marked "Made in Germany" for starters - it'll be about $35 if you shop a little on ebay), go for the Capresso Infinity, or plan on reading a ream of reviews and make a choice.

Really good coffee is a startling experience for the folks who've been Folgers & Mr. Coffee for years and years.

Yep, a french press and a hand grinder and some fresh beans gets you in the game.  A Bodum Columbia 12-cup runs about $45, a top quality Zass grinder (Item #180084409823) goes for $62, delivered from Germany, and good beans from Intelligentsia (one of several truly outstanding coffee companies) House Blend is $10.95 a pound.

YMMV.

(but life is waaaay too brief to drink lousy coffee. . .)

grin
and cello sonatas flow through the air. . .

"Diversity is our strength!"

Snowdog

• friend
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2007, 12:16:03 AM »
You mean you don't wait until you can get to the nearest Starbucks for a $5 cup of fancy Pumpkin Spice Latte?   Certainly you can stop by the nearest gas station for a $3 six-fluid-ounce Starbucks "Double Shot"!

Yeah, me neither.

My wife just bought a new machine, quite fancy actually.  It's Mister Coffee, but it' all digital and has a built-in activated charcoal filter  rolleyes      Seems to make coffee ok if I remember which button to push; apparently I've screwed up her automated start times on few occasions with much ado.

SteveS

• The Voice of Reason
  • friends
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2007, 03:32:01 AM »
You mean you don't wait until you can get to the nearest Starbucks for a $5 cup of fancy Pumpkin Spice Latte?   Certainly you can stop by the nearest gas station for a $3 six-fluid-ounce Starbucks "Double Shot"!

Yeah, me neither.

I'll just head to the nearest Beaners with my travel mug and pay $1.25.  When I do have time in the morning, I use a mid-priced Krups at home, but it just isn't as good as the coffee shop.  I'll have to check out Trisha's advice.
Profanity is the linguistic crutch of the inarticulate mother****er.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2007, 04:48:12 AM »
Whoa, I see that not only does Trisha use the exact same drip maker as I, but she also roasts her own beans as well.  I use the heat gun/dog bowl method, Trisha, what do you use?

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2007, 08:26:18 AM »
I've got a Krups drip machine - nothing fancy. Works quite nicely. I use a cuisinart burr (not blade) grinder that cost me about $30 or so, and it is actually fairly consistent. The espresso machine is a Gaggia with a pump, and does a very tasty double-shot.

Got a door-prize Keurig pod/k-cup machine a couple of weeks ago... It's nice, but the "cup size" is too small for this house... It's goin' on the 'bay.

IMHO, important thing first is good beans. Then a good grind. Then a machine that produces water that is hot enough.

Blog under construction

jamz

• friend
  • bleem
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2007, 03:02:27 PM »
Know what I've got, that I just love?  A Keurig B60.

It doesn't brew the best coffee, it just does it really really fast.  Nothing like being roused out of bed by small kids and being able to stumble ovre to the machine, stick a mug under it, hit a button, and 20 seconds later have a nice steaming cop of coffee. 

Don't really have to clean it, either.
Everybody loves Magical Trevor

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2007, 03:13:09 PM »
If someone's interested, I've got one that I'd like to unload... Has made maybe 20-30 cups of joe...

It's gonna go on the 'bay next week.

Blog under construction

doczinn

• friend
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2007, 06:38:20 PM »
Really good coffee is a startling experience for the folks who've been Folgers & Mr. Coffee for years and years.
I'll second that!

My drip maker and my burr grinder are both Krups, and they do OK. Theye were both free, so I'll live with 'em until they die, then search for something better.
D. R. ZINN