Author Topic: Two tankers attacked in mid east.  (Read 2085 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: Two tankers attacked in mid east.
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2019, 10:17:38 AM »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2019, 10:52:09 AM »
They were removing it after the the tanker had been evacuated.   To get rid of what would be called "evidence".  

I understand that, but why do they have all these people standing around in the bow in what I would assume is the blast radius while tinkering with unexploded ordnance?  The only thing I could think of (later) was someone was explaining defusing and removal to the crew... but still...

I guess I'll let it go at that.

Terry
« Last Edit: June 15, 2019, 12:30:08 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2019, 11:04:24 AM »
Assuming the Iranians placed the bombs, why is the USA responding militarily?

Not our port, not our ship(s) not our oil.

I’m not a fan of any nation in the Middle East and barely care about any of our so called allies in the region.

Personally, I have no way to really ascertain who did what to whom so I’m opposed to any military action against Iran over these incidents.

Yup.  Let the Japanese take care of it with their own military.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2019, 11:12:52 AM »
What does Iran really gain if they are attacking merchant ships?

If you try to attribute them with western style, logical thinking you're going to have trouble answering that question.

My opinion is that they are trying to goad the US into military action either to attempt to gain support from Russia, Chna and the less that US friendly Euro-trash or they want a US attack to justify their "retaliation" when they nuke Tel Aviv.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2019, 01:22:06 PM »

The U.S. has successfully curtailed Iran's exports of crude oil. Their shipments are down about 75%. This is part of their revenge.

What's the price of gasoline at the pumps doing these days?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #30 on: June 15, 2019, 01:44:50 PM »
I understand that, but why do they have all these people standing around in the bow in what I would assume is the blast radius while tinkering with unexploded ordnance?  The only thing I could think of (later) was someone was explaining defusing and removal to the crew... but still...

I guess I'll let it go at that.

Terry

Inshallah if it goes boom.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2019, 02:05:20 PM »

Very rough analysis of their possible goals:

Main Goal:  Retaliation for sanctions and a bid for bargening power in any negotiations.  The US has been saying that the increased sanctioins and curtailing of Iran's oil exports will force them back to the table on their nuke program, and do so in a supplicant role.  Iran is not so subtly telling us that they can hurt our interests as far as oil as well, and are willing to do so.  If they come back to any negotiations it will be with a wink and nod towards "Treat us right, we can reach out and touch oil shipping in our region".

Secondary bonuses:

* Propaganda at home.  They poked the US and we're too scared to do anything about it.  See how powerful they are.

* The Iranian Republican Guard Corps Navy (IRGCN) is NOT the Iranian Navy (IRN) They are relatively new, filled with folks picked more for their Revolutionary fervor then military prowess, and use untested equipment and doctrine.  This was an opportunity to do some real world testing on whether the ideas and equipment work.  If they used a torp or small anti-ship missile as well as mines then they got to test two weapons systems.  Plus they have real world Bomb Damage Assessments.

* Non-US countries now know their shipping is at risk due to (predominantly) US actions.  With some careful diplomacy that could be leveraged into our allies pressuring us to resolve this issue.

*Intra-mid east rivals (UAE, Oman, KSA) were shown that the IRGCN absolutely CAN strike targets both in foreign ports (last month) and in the Gulf of Oman, which is was considered to be outside their Area of Operations.

They got all of that done with an attack that has (semi) plausible deniability for diplomacy purposes, while everyone *knows* they did it.  It's actually a pretty slick op.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2019, 02:31:38 PM by dogmush »

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #32 on: June 15, 2019, 02:23:12 PM »

* The Iranian Republican Guard Corps Navy (IRGCN) is NOT the Iranian Navy (IRN) They are relatively new, filled with folks picked more for their Revolutionary fervor then military prowess, and use untested equipment and doctrine.  This was an opportunity to do some real world testing on whether the ideas and equipment work.  If they used a torp or small anti-ship missile as well as mines then they got to test two weapons systems.  Plus they have real world Bomb Damage Assessments.

Thanks for that assessment. I was unaware of the above distinction. As Millcreek likes to say, I learned something new today. :)
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #33 on: June 15, 2019, 08:05:00 PM »
Very rough analysis of their possible goals:

Main Goal:  Retaliation for sanctions and a bid for bargening power in any negotiations.  The US has been saying that the increased sanctioins and curtailing of Iran's oil exports will force them back to the table on their nuke program, and do so in a supplicant role.  Iran is not so subtly telling us that they can hurt our interests as far as oil as well, and are willing to do so.  If they come back to any negotiations it will be with a wink and nod towards "Treat us right, we can reach out and touch oil shipping in our region".

Secondary bonuses:

* Propaganda at home.  They poked the US and we're too scared to do anything about it.  See how powerful they are.

* The Iranian Republican Guard Corps Navy (IRGCN) is NOT the Iranian Navy (IRN) They are relatively new, filled with folks picked more for their Revolutionary fervor then military prowess, and use untested equipment and doctrine.  This was an opportunity to do some real world testing on whether the ideas and equipment work.  If they used a torp or small anti-ship missile as well as mines then they got to test two weapons systems.  Plus they have real world Bomb Damage Assessments.

* Non-US countries now know their shipping is at risk due to (predominantly) US actions.  With some careful diplomacy that could be leveraged into our allies pressuring us to resolve this issue.

*Intra-mid east rivals (UAE, Oman, KSA) were shown that the IRGCN absolutely CAN strike targets both in foreign ports (last month) and in the Gulf of Oman, which is was considered to be outside their Area of Operations.

They got all of that done with an attack that has (semi) plausible deniability for diplomacy purposes, while everyone *knows* they did it.  It's actually a pretty slick op.

That makes sense and we haven't bombed anyone back to the stone age since WWII, no real perceived US threat in the modern era.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #34 on: June 15, 2019, 09:20:11 PM »
That makes sense and we haven't bombed anyone back to the stone age since WWII, no real perceived US threat in the modern era.

Isn't Iran pretty much already in the stone age for most of the population?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #35 on: June 15, 2019, 10:49:19 PM »
They were pretty cosmopolitan prior to the revolution.  Can't personally vouch for the rural part of the country, but what I've read and seen pics of suggest all was well til the Mullahs won.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #36 on: June 15, 2019, 11:18:32 PM »

No. They're pretty modern in terms of electricity and creature comforts.