Author Topic: What are some of the things you always wanted to do in life?  (Read 3950 times)

Ned Hamford

• friend
Re: What are some of the things you always wanted to do in life?
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2007, 06:15:23 AM »
Its always been my dream to be Batman... well, a happier Batman, one that finishes the hourdeurves and glass of wine at the party before rushing off to answer the bat-signal.

First step... inherit enough money to be a world power....
Improbus a nullo flectitur obsequio.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2007, 09:34:01 AM »

2. Learn to fly a helicopter

You'd really hate me then.  My company pays all ground schooling (fixed and rotary, all classes), and half your training flights.   grin

Seriously, my only goal left is to own a home with a good stretch of land.  Not a postage stamp, min of 15 acres.  More the better.  Never had a home, always wanted one.  Not "a place to live", a home.  Plenty of space for shooting, gardens and hopefully a nice creek.

My former goals?  I complished them. 

- Travel through Europe
- Fire a lot of auto's (every major assault rifle on the planet currently in use, and lots of belt fed's)
- Learn a couple languages
- Learn who I really was
- Drive a tank
- Read a lot of books
- a perfect day
- Smoke an excellent Cuban cigar, drink an excellent whiskey, and watch the sunset from a mountain top
- Jump out of a perfectly good aircraft in flight

And lastly... Falling in love, which was the most painful and wonderful experience of my life.  Nothing else has compared.  I have no words that can truly describe it. 
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2007, 01:14:31 PM »
I have done somethings in my life that I wanted to accomplish and there are somethings that I probably won't.  But right now the only thing on my to do list is return from Iraq in one piece at the end of the year, re-deploy to Iraq sometime next year and return home once again in one piece.  Anything after that will be icing on the cake.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2007, 01:53:33 PM »
I have done somethings in my life that I wanted to accomplish and there are somethings that I probably won't.  But right now the only thing on my to do list is return from Iraq in one piece at the end of the year, re-deploy to Iraq sometime next year and return home once again in one piece.  Anything after that will be icing on the cake.

Of all of the goals posted on this thread, that's the most noble.

Thank you, sir.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2007, 02:19:52 PM »
5. Read the Bible from cover to cover

Not difficult, just takes time.  Some parts (like, fer instance, Job) take extra persistence to get through.

In audio format it's about 80 hours.

What are some of the things you always wanted to do in life?

Travel  (It takes money.)

Relearn Greek (working on it) and learn Hebrew (will probably never happen).

Live in a free country.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2007, 02:20:54 PM »
Walk on the moon, or Mars, whatever.
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Lee

• friend
« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2007, 04:00:02 PM »
I've always wanted my own jet pack.  Other than that, I'm good.

Edited to add:  I would like to have my own shop in semi-retirement.  Maybe something like the store in Stephen King's "Needful Things", but less evil.

garyk/nm

• friend
  • shovelbum
« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2007, 05:02:31 AM »
Already accomplished the major one, working in a career that I enjoy, rather than just for the $$$.
 I'd really like to drive 'the corkscrew" at Laguna Seca. Maybe now that I have a worthy car, I'll look into it.
Gewehr98, we tried for 13 years to have a kid, finally did the adoption thing 15 years ago. Do it. You won't be disappointed.

Phantom Warrior

• friend
« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2007, 10:44:57 PM »
My long term "dreams" right now would probably include:

1. Get my Ph.D. in mathematics (or computer science)
I could do it, but it would take time and money and it's probably not something I'd use much.

2. Learn to play a musical instrument, preferably the violin
I'm thinking about trying to find violin lessons if I get a CONUS duty station after OCS, but it's still very much a dream.

3.  Work for myself
After having been in the Army I have a burning desire to be self employed.  No one telling me when to show up, what to wear, what I can't say to them.  One possibility would be to be a self employed lawyer and the other would be #4...

4. Open a gun shop with my best friend
My best friend and I are both avid shooters and dream of opening a gun store in our home town some day.  There is currently a Gander Mountain and one or two other small sporting goods type stores.  I think it would be conceivable, esp if we marketed more "tactical" stuff (AR-15s, etc).  But we'd need to come up with capital and get the thing off the ground. 

5. Retire from the military
That's been a dream for a long time.  After high school I didn't think the military was going to happen, but I ended up signing up after college and here I am typing away in Iraq.  I won't stay active, but after I commission I'd like to do 15 years or so in the Guard and retire as a MAJ or LTC.

I have some short, mid, and long term goals, but those are all things I consider achievable and plan to.  Such as, get commissioned, get my J.D., etc.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2007, 05:44:00 AM »
Phantom, where in Iraq are you.  I am here right now myself.
If we are near each other maybe we can meet for lunch sometime.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Phantom Warrior

• friend
« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2007, 06:31:04 AM »
Phantom, where in Iraq are you.  I am here right now myself.
If we are near each other maybe we can meet for lunch sometime.

Southwest Bagdad.  The Rachid neighborhood.  On a little FOB though...

Lonestar49

• friend
  • The Perfect_Storm
« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2007, 07:28:59 AM »

Visit all the ancient pyramids and structures in Egypt

Climb the Matterhorn and set the record of *the oldest man to do so

*may not be there yet, but I'm getting there each year that goes by faster and faster.. lol

LS
~ Fate is the Hunter ~

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2007, 01:25:38 PM »
Phantom,
I sent you a PM.