Author Topic: Plottable online maps  (Read 686 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Plottable online maps
« on: June 14, 2019, 07:45:09 AM »
I've been walking a lot more with Seren, and have been going farther and farther afield.

Does anyone know of any online maps that I can click on and set path markers that will tally the distance of a route? I've tired to do it with Google but haven't had any success.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Plottable online maps
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2019, 07:47:20 AM »
OK, I may have just figured it out...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2019, 07:56:01 AM »
Found a European centric map that's a pain to snap to the US, but it works. Not ideal, but it gave me a pretty good idea.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2019, 08:34:10 AM »
OK, I may have just figured it out...

Actually pretty easy on der maps of gookle.

Right click on your starting point.  Select "measure distance" in the menu that appears.  Left click at any other point on the map, and it will give you a straight line measure from your starting point to that point.  Click on another point and it will add the measure from that point to the previous point to the start point.  Continue adding waypoints.
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2019, 09:07:03 AM »
Mapmyride.com free for basic, does what you want to do. Also has an app.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2019, 09:09:10 AM »
You might be at the point where I would consider a handheld gps unit. Especially if you aren't on streets all the time. They have both come down in price and improved.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2019, 09:10:03 AM »
I liked using OruxMaps app when I was traveling.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2019, 09:28:45 AM »
If you're talking about doing this from your easy chair before or after walking, Google Earth is the easiest. Just use the tools menu, select "ruler", select "path", set your measurement units, and click along your path.  Ican't remember if regular Earth does it or if you need Pro, but  I think Pro is still a free license for consumers.

Otherwise your S9 and Samsung health will do it realtime when you choose a walking or running activity and let you review the map, as well as elevation gains, etc. after you're done. Most mid range and higher fitness watches let you do it as well.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2019, 09:43:28 AM »
https://www.mappedometer.com/

Uses the Google map database and allows you to just click your path and get a distance. It also has a "follow roads" option to save you waypoints if you walked on a sidewalk or path.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2019, 09:53:03 AM »
I'll echo Ben. The Samsung Health app has a mapping feature when you use the Exercise section.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2019, 09:59:52 AM »
https://www.mappedometer.com/

Uses the Google map database and allows you to just click your path and get a distance. It also has a "follow roads" option to save you waypoints if you walked on a sidewalk or path.

That looked really cool, so I played with it a bit. This may just be for my region, but two negatives:

1) Satellite maps at least, have varying ages based on zoom (at least 10 years), so you may miss new construction.

2) Possibly related to #1,  I traced my running route and it refused to accept one of the roads (paved and marked county road). It jumped to the next road over instead. This may be related to their streetmap metadata, and may not affect urban areas as much. All my GPS units get a little confused where I live.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2019, 10:36:15 AM »
Actually pretty easy on der maps of gookle.

Right click on your starting point.  Select "measure distance" in the menu that appears.  Left click at any other point on the map, and it will give you a straight line measure from your starting point to that point.  Click on another point and it will add the measure from that point to the previous point to the start point.  Continue adding waypoints.

Nice! Thanks!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2019, 10:39:09 AM »
"Otherwise your S9 and Samsung health will do it realtime when you choose a walking or running activity and let you review the map, as well as elevation gains, etc. after you're done. Most mid range and higher fitness watches let you do it as well."

See, the problem is I'm getting significant variations in distance between the Pacer app I use and the Samsung Health app that's also on my phone. The agree on the number of steps that I've take but they do NOT agree on the distance that I've walked. I'm trying to figure out which one is closer to correct.

Right now...

Pacer says I've walked 4,312 steps for 1.90 miles.

Samsung health says I've walked 4,312 steps for 2.47 miles.

That's a HUGE variation.

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2019, 11:26:00 AM »
I just use Strava. Start when you start, finish when you finish.

Check the privacy settings if you use it
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2019, 11:54:14 AM »

Pacer says I've walked 4,312 steps for 1.90 miles.

Samsung health says I've walked 4,312 steps for 2.47 miles.

That's a HUGE variation.

Note that steps and distance are measured differently. Distance is strictly GPS. Steps use GPS plus the gyro and accelerometer, plus estimates your step length (which you can change in most apps)*. Depending on the app you use, it may use the three sensors in an exercise app and give you distance off all those together and be off, but a GPS app that is only using GPS to measure distance will be pretty accurate.

I forget how Samsung Health does distance in the running and walking apps since I don't use it much anymore. I know my Garmin watch separates distance from steps on the activity summary, as when I look at my route map after a run, distance is pretty spot on, so that's all GPS.

*Actually that might be something for you to check, and I need to do the same thing. My Garmin Fenix may be using a different stride length than my S9. That can actually build up significant difference when you get to the 5 figure range in steps.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2019, 12:31:23 PM »
I realize that. That's why I'm trying to get actual map data on some of my known routes so I can figure out which one is more accurate.

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2019, 02:04:10 PM »
mike, to do a hard plot, sometimes I have used daftlogic's online interface to to guesstimates of distances. You can plot serial points and get a total.

It's not the cleanest interface but it does work.

https://www.daftlogic.com/projects-google-maps-distance-calculator.htm
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.