Author Topic: Gunman shot dead after opening fire on federal courthouse in downtown Dallas  (Read 1112 times)

MechAg94

• friend
https://www.dallasnews.com/news/crime/2019/06/17/shots-fired-federal-courthouse-downtown-dallas

I heard about this incident this morning.  Details are hard to come by.  The story jumps all over the place largely because I think they don't know much.  I think a guy opened fire on a federal court building, but I am not sure.  The reporter seemed to indicate some of the shots may have been officers shooting out.  Either way, it appears the only one seriously hurt is the "gunman" who was a 22 year old army veteran.  I didn't get a chance to really go through it in depth.  Hopefully, there will be more information later.  

The only good comment I heard this morning mentioned it was interesting how quickly a gunman is put down when there are armed people on hand to stop him.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System

The only good comment I heard this morning mentioned it was interesting how quickly a gunman is put down when there are armed people on hand to stop him.

Got a feeling this was a suicide by cop. Can't put my finger on just why yet. Maybe the way he seemed to act, maybe the fact he seemed to be equipped but did no real damage.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

freakazoid

• friend
He's being roasted pretty hard online right now. Seems like he was in the army for something like only 2 years. He had an online presence but that was immediately zucced after the shooting.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
https://m.facebook.com/ASMDSS/photos/a.250937788768542/597630570765927/?type=3&theater

Never laughed so hard at a dead guy. The comments are wonderful. Maybe we need to assassinate all mass shooters by meme.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Hawkmoon

• friend
https://www.dallasnews.com/news/dallas/2019/06/17/know-brian-clyde-gunman-opened-fire-federal-courthouse-downtown-dallas

Brian Isaack Clyde, who authorities confirmed was the gunman, served in the Army for two years. Soldiers who served with Clyde said he came from a family of military veterans and often participated in war re-enactments.

An Army spokesman confirmed Clyde was a private first class and served as an infantryman in the Army from August 2015 to February 2017.

Clyde was honorably discharged from the military, an FBI spokeswoman said Tuesday. No further details about his discharge have been released.

August 2015 to February of 2017 isn't even two years, it's barely more than a year and a half. What's the shortest term of enlistment these days? How does anyone serve a year and a half and get an honorable discharge?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Just because you get chaptered out, doesn't mean you get a dishonorable.

If he was an infantryman, he would have had 11 weeks of Basic/AIT or OSUT prior to going to the 101st at Campbell.  Even if they gave him 2 weeks leave from the time he finished AIT/OSUT, that gives him April or May as his entry date. 

Conclusion:  He got booted early for a reason.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
The fact that we are not seeing his social media postings speaks volumes about his political leanings.

If he was a Republican/conservative/Trump supporter I have no doubt that such would be the lead in on every news report about the event.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
The fact that we are not seeing his social media postings speaks volumes about his political leanings.

If he was a Republican/conservative/Trump supporter I have no doubt that such would be the lead in on every news report about the event.

I think they've made pretty much every mass shooter's social media presence disappear, lately. 
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
I think they've made pretty much every mass shooter's social media presence disappear, lately. 

Part of not encouraging them. 

Hawkmoon

• friend
Just because you get chaptered out, doesn't mean you get a dishonorable.

There are other choices between honorable and dishonorable.
  • Honorable
  • General
  • Other than Honorable Conditions
  • Bad Conduct
  • Dishonorable

You were an occifer -- you know this.

If he was an infantryman, he would have had 11 weeks of Basic/AIT or OSUT prior to going to the 101st at Campbell.  Even if they gave him 2 weeks leave from the time he finished AIT/OSUT, that gives him April or May as his entry date. 

Since when did time in service start being counted from the completion of AIT?

Conclusion:  He got booted early for a reason.

Agreed

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....

There are other choices between honorable and dishonorable.
  • Honorable
  • General
  • Other than Honorable Conditions
  • Bad Conduct
  • Dishonorable

You were an occifer -- you know this.

Yes, I know that, but it said he was given an Honorable, per the story, so none of the other discharges matter.   If it was Less then Honorable, I sure they would have said so.  At least in the 80's and 90's, they didn't hand out many General Discharges. You can still be a shitbird and get out with an Honorable was my point.

Since when did time in service start being counted from the completion of AIT?

Re-read what I wrote.  I was figuring out when his time in service started.  Time in service starts from your initial entry date. The story said he was at Ft. Campbelll (his permanent party duty station) from August 2015-February 2017 which is far less then two years.  Backing up 2.5-3 months from August for initial entry training (at Ft. Benning, where all infantry MOS training is done) would put his pay entry basic date at wometime in April or May of 2015.  Still not two full years on Active Duty.   Unless he was injured in OSUT.  But generally something that puts you on sick call for ~2 months is enough to get you TDP'd.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
Oops, not a “Gun Free Zone”  :police:
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.

One of the commenters said he was shot dead center-of-mass, right in the sternum.  No indication of where that info came from.

Terry
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

WLJ

• friends
One of the commenters said he was shot dead center-of-mass, right in the sternum.  No indication of where that info came from.

Terry

Contrast that with some of the NYC police shootings where they fire off 50 or more rounds and maybe 1 or 2 actually hit their intended target.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
Possibly long arms versus handguns.  According to the visuals, most of the LEOs were using long arms here.  

Plus, of course, I am told that NYPD handguns have to have egregiously stiff bang switches.

I have a Crosman SA/DA Model 1008 "Repeataire" pellet pistol I use to exercise my trigger fingers.  (No gas cartridge or cylinder in it).  Sixteen rapid strokes for each hand every once in a while seems to keep me in tune, DA-strength-wise.  Haven't actually shot a pellet through it in decades, but I've DA-cycled it for thousands of pulls.  I keep it in the couch cushions so I can click it while watching TV.

Terry

REF (Here's one for sale):
https://www.airgunforum.ca/forums/topic80812.html

« Last Edit: June 19, 2019, 11:30:55 AM by 230RN »

WLJ

• friends
Possibly long arms versus handguns.  According to the visuals, most of the LEOs were using long arms here.  

Plus, of course, I am told that NYPD guns have to have egregiously stiff bang switches.

Terry

Could be but the long arms usually come out afterwards in most of these type shootings since most usually don't walk around with them.

And that is actually known as a New York trigger. A stiffer trigger pull than normal is actually mandated there, 8lbs IIRC although some sources say 12lbs
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
Okay, apparently there a NY-1 trigger which is 8lbs and a NY-2 which is 11-12lbs.
Most non-NY Glocks are around 5lbs for comparison  
- Calvin and Hobbes

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
I heard 13 lb a while ago, but I heard there was an accusation that it was made that high to make women fail the quals.  

Funny thing is that for many (five?) decades I had SA autos and SA/DA revolvers and never shot a revolver DA. I once even said out loud that I saw no use for DA firing.  Then came the CCW movement and I changed my mind toot sweet since precise placement of a bullet in paper was no longer a concern.  (By then I had to curtail most of my outdoorsey activities, and I can't remember the last time I shot at anything over the 25 yards of the local indoor range.)

I now carry DAO (a revolver and an auto) and on rare occasions in winter, a 1911.

Terry
« Last Edit: June 19, 2019, 11:54:40 AM by 230RN »

Hawkmoon

• friend
Yes, I know that, but it said he was given an Honorable, per the story, so none of the other discharges matter.   If it was Less then Honorable, I sure they would have said so.  At least in the 80's and 90's, they didn't hand out many General Discharges. You can still be a shitbird and get out with an Honorable was my point.

And my point was that I didn't know you could be a shitbird and get out (or be kicked out) early with an honorable discharge. I thought the best you could expect would be a General, and more likely an Other Than Honorable.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
I heard 13 lb a while ago, but I heard there was an accusation that it was made that high to make women fail the quals.  

Funny thing is that for many (five?) decades I had SA autos and SA/DA revolvers and never shot a revolver DA. I once even said out loud that I saw no use for DA firing.  Then came the CCW movement and I changed my mind toot sweet since precise placement of a bullet in paper was no longer a concern.  (By then I had to curtail most of my outdoorsey activities, and I can't remember the last time I shot at anything over the 25 yards of the local indoor range.)

I now carry DAO (a revolver and an auto) and on rare occasions in winter, a 1911.

Terry

Can be done.

(Turned the laser off after the first circle target.)

In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

MechAg94

• friend

Terry

For me, I set up some steel silhouettes at my Dad's land that I started shooting some and finally competed in a few practical pistol matches.  Sorta changed my thinking on what I wanted out of a pistol.  I guess there was also all the ammo and trigger time that went into all that as well.  A couple of pistols I thought I liked before I never shoot anymore.  

I have a couple versions of those dot targets.  I have been meaning to give them a try.  They look like they would be some great accuracy exercises. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
When I was a Glockhead, I put the NY-1 8 pounder in every Glock I owned.  I loved it.  Yes the heavier pull was noticeable, but it felt more consistent and eliminated the "sproingy" feel of the factory 5.5 pounder.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
#5 ghost rocket connector with overtravel stop and a heavy trigger bar spring. I love my block triggers. I carried my competition Glock some too, but no one needs a #2.5 Glock carry trigger.
AKA Navy Joe   

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!

Terry

Plenty of pics of dead Clyde on the ground with no shirt after or while first aid was attempted. Damn near like someone found the xyphoid process and moved two fingers up for CPR, it is picture perfect A zone, 10 ring, whatever. And I'm still laughing.

Us other states have to up our game, Texas is up two if we recall Walker, Texas ranger at the art gallery that put the complete fail on a Muslim peace attempt.
AKA Navy Joe