Author Topic: Plastic Bag Shaming  (Read 3362 times)

Pb

• friend
Re: Plastic Bag Shaming
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2019, 09:55:43 AM »
There is a serious problem with reusable bags for groceries.

They create a risk for food poisoning.

https://foodpoisoningbulletin.com/2013/e-coli-infections-spike-after-plastic-bag-ban-in-california/

Do you wash your re-usuable bags out every time you use them?  Does anyone? 

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2019, 10:04:05 AM »
This. Plastic is evil is the current trend.

If only the US was the actual country creating a problem, https://bigthink.com/strange-maps/these-10-rivers-carry-95-of-all-plastic-into-the-ocean?xrs=RebelMouse_fb&ts=1538773082&fbclid=IwAR1YfD6xNrr-7vRp8n1Ju868tnIiBnvn1jRtoiuncapU3fC5OVdwt95lj5g

You're in violation of narrative, report to your nearest reeducation camp
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2019, 10:48:01 AM »
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2019, 11:47:07 AM »

https://foodpoisoningbulletin.com/2013/e-coli-infections-spike-after-plastic-bag-ban-in-california/

Until I saw that headline, it didn't occur to me that they were also banning the little plastic bags in the fruit section.  Those bastards!!
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2019, 01:18:52 PM »
Until I saw that headline, it didn't occur to me that they were also banning the little plastic bags in the fruit section.  Those bastards!!

Unless it's new (like in the last 3 months), the produce section bags are still available in CA at no charge.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #30 on: June 17, 2019, 02:50:33 PM »

Is that for real?  It smacks of the "study set up to prove  a thesis" stuff we've been seeing.  I may be getting jaundiced, but I'm developing a strong negative reaction whenever I see the phrase "studies show."

MillCreek?  Comment?

Terry
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2019, 03:09:44 PM »
Is that for real?  It smacks of the "study set up to prove  a thesis" stuff we've been seeing.  I may be getting jaundiced, but I'm developing a strong negative reaction whenever I see the phrase "studies show."

MillCreek?  Comment?

Terry

The study is linked and published:

https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=2196481

Looks legit to me.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #32 on: June 17, 2019, 03:50:42 PM »
If you put food in or on something and never clean it, don't be surprised if the wrong stuff starts growing in it. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #33 on: June 17, 2019, 03:51:12 PM »
Unless it's new (like in the last 3 months), the produce section bags are still available in CA at no charge.
They said "ALL" plastic bags.  I guess that wasn't accurate. 

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #34 on: June 17, 2019, 03:57:12 PM »

I must be a terrible offender. I will bag my meat in the small plastic bags and THEN put it in separate plastic bags from everything else. Chicken will often get double bagged before put into a plastic bag.

SHUN AWAY!

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #35 on: June 17, 2019, 04:51:58 PM »
^^^My wife says that in the employee break room and the kids' cafeteria at her elementary school, reusable silicone bags are all the rage now for packing lunches.  She has pointed them out to me at the local Target.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #36 on: June 17, 2019, 07:31:30 PM »
^^^My wife says that in the employee break room and the kids' cafeteria at her elementary school, reusable silicone bags are all the rage now for packing lunches.  She has pointed them out to me at the local Target.

I had a metal lunch box - Pigs In Space edition.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 17, 2019, 08:10:04 PM »
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #38 on: June 17, 2019, 08:15:57 PM »
The study is linked and published:

https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=2196481

Looks legit to me.

OK, thanks.  Wow.  Confirms my oft-stated opinion that ecological efforts are like poking a finger into a kid's party balloon.  You push in here, it bulges out somewhere else.

Again, thanks.

Terry, 230RN

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #39 on: June 17, 2019, 08:30:18 PM »
If you put food in or on something and never clean it, don't be surprised if the wrong stuff starts growing in it.  

So I guess the solution would be for them to provide disposable plastic bag liners for your re-usable cloth bags to prevent their contamination.

Right?

Riiiiiight.  There you go.

Terry runs and hides.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #40 on: June 17, 2019, 10:19:50 PM »
I may be getting jaundiced, but I'm developing a strong negative reaction whenever I see the phrase "studies show."

Terry

I have the same reaction to "well, it seems to me that..."

(appeal to self-authority?)
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #41 on: June 17, 2019, 10:42:19 PM »
^
Well, it seems to me that "well, it seems to me" is clearly labeled as a personal opinion, presumably based on at-hand information, and does not carry the weight of "science" to the listener as does "studies show."

Me, still in hiding.  Shhhhhh.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2019, 10:56:49 PM by 230RN »

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #42 on: June 17, 2019, 10:59:26 PM »
^
Well, it seems to me that "well, it seems to me" is clearly labeled as a personal opinion, presumably based on at-hand information, and does not carry the weight of "science" to the listener as does "studies show."

Me, still in hiding.  Shhhhhh.

No.  Not in the way that irritates me.  It is clearly meant as "well, you can figure all you like, but I'm a sensible man, and it seems to me that..."
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #43 on: June 17, 2019, 11:14:42 PM »
Glass half full / glass half empty situation, I guess.

How did you find me?  I'm still in hiding.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #44 on: June 18, 2019, 07:53:55 AM »
Paper bags can be reused for range origami.

Cut the paper bag in half, then separate a couple seams and you end up with two torso-shaped targets.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #45 on: June 18, 2019, 09:24:14 AM »
Paper bags can be reused for range origami.

Cut the paper bag in half, then separate a couple seams and you end up with two torso-shaped targets.
That is what plastic bottles and jugs are for.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #46 on: June 18, 2019, 09:26:57 AM »
Glass half full / glass half empty situation, I guess.

How did you find me?  I'm still in hiding.

I have made a study of the subject and it seems to me that studies show that plastic bags are better than many alternatives and most of the plastic pollution problem isn't happening in this country anyway.

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #47 on: June 18, 2019, 10:23:13 AM »
So I guess the solution would be for them to provide disposable plastic bag liners for your re-usable cloth bags to prevent their contamination.

Right?

Riiiiiight.  There you go.

Terry runs and hides.

Seems to me (heh, heh) the cloth bags can simply be thrown in a washer occasionally . . . . .
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #48 on: June 18, 2019, 11:00:39 AM »
Seems to me (heh, heh) the cloth bags can simply be thrown in a washer occasionally . . . .

And how much energy, water,  chemicals, and drying energy is used in sanitizing them?  I know it's hard to parcel out in a regular batch of laundry and it don't look like much, but it ain't zero.

You push in the balloon here and it bulges out there.

Oh, and my time and personal effort ain't zero, neither.

You push in the balloon here and it bulges out there.  Ayup.

Look, I ain't against conservation..  What I'm sayin' is you gotta look at the entire energy picture realistically, for example, from harvesting and processing the cotton to the final cloth sack product*, as opposed to drilling the wells and pumping the oil and the energy used in refining the crude to make a plastic grocery bag.

Sound ridiculous?  Well, perhaps, but you've got to do some real analysis beyond the benefit of "feeling good" about a conservation measure.

Terry, 230RN

* Not forgetting the fact that the cloth sack's energy costs can be amortized out over the number of uses it takes to wear it out.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #49 on: June 18, 2019, 11:15:10 AM »
And how much energy, water,  chemicals, and drying energy is used in sanitizing them?  I know it's hard to parcel out in a regular batch of laundry and it don't look like much, but it ain't zero.

Oh, and my time and personal effort ain't zero, neither.

You push in the balloon here and it bulges out there.  Ayup.

Look, I ain't against conservation..  What I'm sayin' is you gotta look at the entire energy picture realistically, for example, from harvesting and processing the cotton to the final cloth sack product*, as opposed to drilling the wells and pumping the oil and the energy used in refining the crude to make a plastic grocery bag.

Sound ridiculous?  Well, perhaps, but you've got to do some real analysis beyond the benefit of "feeling good" about a conservation measure.

Terry, 230RN

* Not forgetting the fact that the cloth sack's energy costs can be amortized out over the number of uses it takes to wear it out.

Related, and important, cloth diapers are far harder on the environment than disposable ones. The amount of energy and waste to sanitize the diapers for reuse far exceeds what it takes to produce (and dispose!) of disposable diapers.

But the "woke" virtue signalers don't care. They use the cloth diapers, just like they use cloth bags. That are far more damaging and costly, BUT THEY ARE CONSPICUOUS, which is the more important feature. They are a sign that they are "better" than the hoi polloi, which is what this is all about.