Author Topic: Plastic Bag Shaming  (Read 3349 times)

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: Plastic Bag Shaming
« Reply #50 on: June 18, 2019, 11:27:57 AM »
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opinion/article-sorry-banning-plastic-bags-wont-save-our-planet/

Oh look. More evidence that this is just counterproductive virtue signalling.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #51 on: June 18, 2019, 11:30:07 AM »
So the plastic bags I use to pick up my dogs poo on walks are PLA, which is plant based and compostable. They are a little more expensive than polyethylene, but not that much.

Not sure why grocery bags couldn't be made of those., and throw them out.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #52 on: June 18, 2019, 11:37:06 AM »
So the plastic bags I use to pick up my dogs poo on walks are PLA, which is plant based and compostable. They are a little more expensive than polyethylene, but not that much.

Do you sort them and send them to an industrial composter?

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #53 on: June 18, 2019, 01:06:17 PM »
I'm certainly not against plastic bags.  Or paper, or reusable.  I'm against the over-regulation involved.  In this or any other similar topic. 

That said, I'm 100% against littering.  And plastic bags that are tossed on the ground, or escape out of garbage cans, dumpsters, garbage trucks, etc. are ugly and long-lasting.  Along with other large pieces of plastic from various construction, shipping, farming, and other industries.  I'd like to see a vegetable-based plastics industry start flourishing.  Apparently it's known as "bioplastic."  Like the product dogmush mentioned. 

I don't think the technical challenges are difficult to overcome.  And as I understand it, recycling is more efficient than petroleum-based plastics.  Those items that are not biodegradable are more easily and efficiently reused. 
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

brimic

• friends
« Reply #54 on: June 19, 2019, 07:18:58 AM »
As I drive to work every morning, I take note that the roadsides tend to be very clean, right up until I get to the core area of metropolitan area, where areas and neighborhoods look like an open landfill (no exaggeration).
Plastic pollution is a people problem, not a materials problem.

See also:San Francisco poop map
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #55 on: June 19, 2019, 09:30:22 AM »
I use all of the above.

Biodegradable “plastic” bags do seem like a good idea.

After a storm I had a plastic grocery bag stuck way up high in the Magnolia tree in my front yard.

It really po’d me for months.

Another storm knocked it lower eventually and I was able to snag it down.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #56 on: June 19, 2019, 09:35:09 AM »
My house is on the outside of the street corner.  The predominant wind direction is down the street straight into the yard of my house and my neighbors.  I am always picking up bits of plastic as I move.  Small candy and food wrappers are most common.  Plastic bags are rare and normally easy to see and pick up.  If I don't get them, my mower shreds them and I have lots of little pieces of plastic to pick up that are hard to see.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #57 on: June 19, 2019, 09:52:28 AM »
This stuff reminds me seeing a Tesla with a "Zero Emissions" bumper sticker. Just where the heck do they think the electricity to charge that thing is coming from, Harry Potter wands?
This is on top of the resources used to produced the battery(s) and then depose of it.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #58 on: June 19, 2019, 09:55:39 AM »

I couldn't agree more.  It seems more prevalent in poorer communities, but it's not exclusive to any group.  Respect for the environment has been lost, just like respect for everything else.  Littering is another aspect of entitlement and the lack of personal responsibility.  People seem to think they shouldn't have to clean up after themselves, that's what government is for.  
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #59 on: June 19, 2019, 09:56:37 AM »

Much truth there, and often has to do with demographics that we're not allowed to shame. Back in CA, I spent a good bit of time picking up trash along the outskirts of the land. Some of it was pickup loads from people who didn't want to pay the dump (and that could be white rednecks as much as anyone), but a lot of it was farm workers.

My cousin has orange orchards. It never failed that every picking season, the workers, who all parked along our shared road, would, during breaks, eat their packaged food and then just drop the wrappers, cans, etc. where they stood. I guess just a cultural thing that since they're out in public, or away from the city or whatever, that everyplace is a trash can.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #60 on: June 19, 2019, 09:58:37 AM »
I use all of the above.

Biodegradable “plastic” bags do seem like a good idea.

After a storm I had a plastic grocery bag stuck way up high in the Magnolia tree in my front yard.

It really po’d me for months.

Another storm knocked it lower eventually and I was able to snag it down.

If it's a regular occurrence you might be interested in bag snaggers:  http://bagsnaggers.com/

ETA:  The same thing happened in one of my trees with a birthday balloon that got away one year.  It was up there for a full winter before it came within reach.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #61 on: June 19, 2019, 10:00:09 AM »
Much truth there, and often has to do with demographics that we're not allowed to shame. Back in CA, I spent a good bit of time picking up trash along the outskirts of the land. Some of it was pickup loads from people who didn't want to pay the dump (and that could be white rednecks as much as anyone), but a lot of it was farm workers.

My cousin has orange orchards. It never failed that every picking season, the workers, who all parked along our shared road, would, during breaks, eat their packaged food and then just drop the wrappers, cans, etc. where they stood. I guess just a cultural thing that since they're out in public, or away from the city or whatever, that everyplace is a trash can.

Respect for property, respect for the beauty of the outdoors, cleanliness, and personal responsibility are all cultural mores that must be learned.

But it's oppressive to suggest foreigners who come here should learn to respect and join our culture. So expect more of this.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #62 on: June 20, 2019, 12:16:38 PM »

PLA should work fine.  It is incredibly recyclable.  It's biodegradable, but still takes a while, especially if it is a bit thicker. 

Short of certain chemicals that will melt most plastics, I'd love to see slightly larger, slightly thicker, PLA grocery bags that can honestly be used in small trash cans(and why is it so hard to find trash cans sized for such bags?) for places like bath and bedrooms.

I loved how they saved 40 kton of plastic by banning bags, but then had to deduct 12 kton of extra garbage bag sales.

It's sort of like how, back in the day, newspaper was always at hand for when I needed drop protection to protect the dining room table or other space from my latest project, but these days I have to get more creative.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #63 on: June 20, 2019, 12:42:48 PM »
I couldn't agree more.  It seems more prevalent in poorer communities, but it's not exclusive to any group.  Respect for the environment has been lost, just like respect for everything else.  Littering is another aspect of entitlement and the lack of personal responsibility.  People seem to think they shouldn't have to clean up after themselves, that's what government is for.  
IMO, there is nothing new here.  There was plenty of littering back when I was a kid, we just didn't have plastic grocery bags.  makattak is correct that it is something that must be learned, or made painful via fines.

There is a long standing "Don't Mess with Texas" anti-littering campaign that started in the 80's.  
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #64 on: June 20, 2019, 04:35:03 PM »
If it's a regular occurrence you might be interested in bag snaggers:  http://bagsnaggers.com/

ETA:  The same thing happened in one of my trees with a birthday balloon that got away one year.  It was up there for a full winter before it came within reach.

You could use a pole saw to do most of what that would do, and then you would also have a pole saw. Also, if the bag was so tangled that you couldn't get it down, you might be able to just cut off the branch.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #65 on: June 20, 2019, 04:46:12 PM »

You could use a pole saw to do most of what that would do, and then you would also have a pole saw. Also, if the bag was so tangled that you couldn't get it down, you might be able to just cut off the branch.
Or just pull out the toilet paper when no one is looking so you can complain about those "damn kids".  Maybe no one will notice the bag.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #66 on: June 20, 2019, 06:07:35 PM »

Yeah, pole saws rock. I have the Harbor Freight cordless one, and it has been extremely handy.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #67 on: June 20, 2019, 07:48:15 PM »
My house is on the outside of the street corner.  The predominant wind direction is down the street straight into the yard of my house and my neighbors.  I am always picking up bits of plastic as I move.  Small candy and food wrappers are most common.  Plastic bags are rare and normally easy to see and pick up.  If I don't get them, my mower shreds them and I have lots of little pieces of plastic to pick up that are hard to see.

I live a block away south  from a gas station, McDonalds, KFC and small shopping center. I'm always picking up windblown trash in my yard or pulling it out of my pond.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2019, 08:09:07 AM by charby »
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #68 on: June 20, 2019, 08:56:42 PM »
Thankfully I don't have pond or a very big front yard.

One thing I thought about while mowing today is a lot of the plastic I pull out of my yard is shredded.  That means one of my neighbors upwind (or possibly me) already ran the mower over it.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #69 on: June 21, 2019, 08:10:40 AM »
Thankfully I don't have pond or a very big front yard.

One thing I thought about while mowing today is a lot of the plastic I pull out of my yard is shredded.  That means one of my neighbors upwind (or possibly me) already ran the mower over it.

My neighbors are awesome about keeping their yards clean, anything shredded we find is more than likely from the commercial mowers at the retail places.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #70 on: June 21, 2019, 01:07:51 PM »
Yeah, pole saws rock. I have the Harbor Freight cordless one, and it has been extremely handy.

Oh, well mine is cordless, too. No batteries or gas, either.  =)
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #71 on: June 21, 2019, 01:10:55 PM »
Oh, well mine is cordless, too. No batteries or gas, either.  =)

Jackass powered?

>:D
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #72 on: June 21, 2019, 07:18:45 PM »
Back to the OP, I wonder how many customers look at the bags they are getting and deciding to shop elsewhere ??
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #73 on: June 23, 2019, 01:28:52 AM »
Curious.  Why did this get to be a sticky?  What did I miss?

Fairly good technical information?  Fairly good counter-greenie rhetoric?  Accident?  Whim?

???

Terry
« Last Edit: June 23, 2019, 09:18:56 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.