Author Topic: Just Shoot me  (Read 1451 times)

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: Just Shoot me
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2019, 10:18:15 AM »
I recall the first game that really sold me on where computer-based gaming could go was Wing Commander. The integration of "shoot 'em up" and storyline (including alternative storylines depending on how you did) just had me amazed at the time. I actually have it on DOSbox and still play it from time to time, including the use of an old-fashioned joystick controller.

I still remember that one. It was pretty amazing at the time. (And, though it would never win any awards, the movie wasn't terrible. It was bad, yes, but entertaining. I particularly like that Hercule Poirot was the captain of the starship.)

I was already hooked on gaming before then, though. Legend of Zelda had me a few years before Wing Commander.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2019, 10:47:18 AM »
I played Wing Commander a number of times. It was a lot of fun.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2019, 11:42:44 AM »
I remember playing Wing Commander a little, but I was in love with X-Wing and Tie Fighter at the time and didn't give a damn about storyline.  Doom fell in there somewhere as well.  I guess I was always more into the arcade/game play side of things rather than storyline.  Total Annihilation is one that sucked up a lot of time also.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge