Author Topic: Man Vs. Wild  (Read 2097 times)

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Man Vs. Wild
« on: February 16, 2007, 09:55:32 AM »
Anyone seen this show on Discovery?  What a load of tripe!  I've seen it before (Moab, UT episode) and wasn't impressed.  Today, I caught the tail end of his Rockies adventure.... rolleyes shocked rolleyes angry
This dipshit actually jumped into a river, saying it should be used as an avenue of escape.....so he is miles from nowhere, in the mountains where even summertime night-temps easily drop below freezing, and jumps into 35* water.....numbskull!  Then, he takes a breather on some rocks and is talking to the camera....you can see the outline of a PFD under his soaked sweatshirt....
 cheesy
His "survival" techniques are risky at best, and to encourage them as techniques makes it downright reckless.....
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

MechAg94

• friend
Re: Man Vs. Wild
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2007, 11:46:21 AM »
PFD?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

crt360

• friend
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2007, 11:49:50 AM »

This dipshit actually jumped into a river, saying it should be used as an avenue of escape.....

Escape from what?  Flesh-eating hillbillies who can't swim?  Law enforcement?  Bigfoot?  Sanity?
For entertainment purposes only.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2007, 11:55:01 AM »
PFD?

Personal Floatation Device

Escape from what?  Flesh-eating hillbillies who can't swim?  Law enforcement?  Bigfoot?  Sanity?

I used escape as a generalization.  He was trying to get back to civilization after being "lost" in the wilds.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

valencia

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2007, 12:17:50 PM »
wow. walk by the river, sure (though i wouldn't want to be by a river after dark because of the chill), to find civilization, but not *in* thhe river!

Ron

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2007, 12:24:16 PM »
I've used that exact episode to point out how ridiculous the show is when it comes to surviving.

Someone should tell him about hypothermia.

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2007, 12:28:38 PM »
I've seen it.  While entertaining, its not as good as Survivorman in my opinion.  The presence of the film crew for Man Vs. Wild ruins the impact.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2007, 02:28:25 PM »
I've used that exact episode to point out how ridiculous the show is when it comes to surviving.

Someone should tell him about hypothermia.
Heh, hypothermia...

I caught an episode where he came across a frozen lake in the middle of nowhere Alps.  Like any sane and rational person, he felt compelled to demonstrate the proper technique for how to climb out of a frozen lake after you fall in.  He lit a fire first, so that he'd have something to warm himself with, said "don't try this at home", and jumped in.

So there he is, neck deep in a frozen lake with his chin and elbows propped up on the edge of the ice, mugging for the camera.  He starts in on a narrative about the dangers of falling through a frozen lake in a frozen wilderness.

"You have to act quickly if you fall into a frozen lake.  With every second that passes your muscles begin to stiffen and go numb.  Your core body temperature lowers."  He begins to shiver severely.  "Acute hypothermia will set in within a minute or two, but that doesn't matter because you'll die sooner from drowning.  Your body will go numb, your arms and legs won't react to your commands, and then you'll sink."  His shivering becomes uncontrollable shaking.  "So it's crucial that you climb out as quickly as possible"  All this time he's completely ignoring his own advice to get out of the frigid water as quickly as possible.

"Wow!  I can already feel my lower body going stiff and numb.  It's time I got myself out of this water."  He's shaking violently from the cold.  It's clear he's having trouble holding onto the lip of the ice.  "So here goes:  I'm going to try to push my upper body up onto the ice, then shimmy and crawl the rest of the way out."

He takes a couple of quick deep breaths to get himself pumped up and ready to show off his hero move.  He gives a big grunt and starts to push himself up with his arms.  He manages to raise himself about 6 inches then stalls, his arms are jello-y and wobbly.  A look of panic crosses his face.

He begins thrashing violently with his legs, trying to kick or swim or something.  It isn't working.  The look of panic on his face deepens.  One of his arms slips and he falls in completely, head and everything submerged below the ice/water.

He pops up a second later, and tries desperately to thrash or kick or push or claw his way up out of the frozen lake.  He gets about 12 inches out of the water this time before he again falls back in under the ice and water.

At this point you know the camera crew is starting to get worried.  He's obviously in deep *expletive deleted*it.  He surfaces again and spits out a tight, hard breath of air.   Icy drops of water spray out with that breath.  He makes one last do-or-die attempt at climbing out.  He succeeds, barely.  He collapses on the surface of the ice.

He's gasping for breath, exhausted, shivering uncontrollably, soaking wet and laying flat on a solid slab of ice.  He obviously can't move his extremities.  "Well <gasp> I'm desperately cold.  <gasp>  I have to <gasp> get warm soon.  <gasp> Or I'm gonna die.  <gasp> Thankfully <gasp> I have a warm fire <gasp> burning right over there."

It's painful to watch as he attempts to stand, then hobble desperately, pathetically, over the the saving warmth of his fire.  He collapses in front of his fire...

...only to find that it's gone out.

grin   grin

Stupid people are fun to watch on TV, ain't they? 

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2007, 03:27:28 PM »
I actually thought lighting the fire before crossing the lake was a nugget....of course he never looked to see if there was a way around the fkn lake.... rolleyes
JD

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2007, 04:08:14 PM »
HTG, I think what you described was a great "lesson".  He demonstrated to you what happens in icy water.  The burned out campfire was just comic relief.

Chris

Dannyboy

• friend
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2007, 05:37:15 PM »
Did anyone see him get water by squeezing elephant turds?  Same episode, he feasted on some leftover raw zebra meat.  I almost yakked watching that. 
Oh, Lord, please let me be as sanctimonious and self-righteous as those around me, so that I may fit in.

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2007, 07:04:05 PM »
I saw the elephant turd episode.  I wanted to hurl just watching it.

I'm the survivalist type, and I figure a good way to survive is to not let a helicopter drop me off in the middle of nowhere in Africa, where I'd have to drink form elephant turds.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2007, 11:11:27 PM »
I prefer to just steal the water from the camera crew when I'm in those situations.

Same reason I'd never be hungry on "Survivor", you know those crew members are living cushy and not expecting a thief in the night.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."