Author Topic: Jim from Mutual of Omaha's 'Wild Kingdom' is dead  (Read 956 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Jim from Mutual of Omaha's 'Wild Kingdom' is dead
« on: May 10, 2019, 10:15:17 AM »
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/09/obituaries/jim-fowler-dead.html?action=click&module=Well&pgtype=Homepage&section=Obituaries

Jim, Marlin Perkins, and Wild Kingdom were a staple of my television viewing for many years.  We will recall how often Jim was out there wrestling the wild animals while Marlin offered helpful advice from the Land Rover.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Jim from Mutual of Omaha's 'Wild Kingdom' is dead
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2019, 10:17:50 AM »
Brings back childhood family night memories. RIP Jim.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2019, 10:18:01 AM »
I loved that show when I was little. I liked how Marlin always wove some ad into the wildlife narrative, "Just as the mother lioness looks after her cubs, Mutual of Omaha is there when you need..."
What we have here is failure to communicate.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2019, 10:50:43 AM »
Marlin: While Jim is off risking life and limb wrestling the 30ft anaconda I'll be getting to know a local native girl better in my tent
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2019, 11:01:59 AM »
That episode with Jim wrestling the giant anaconda was one of the more famous ones. IIRC it was damn serious for old Jim there for a bit.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2019, 11:04:49 AM »
Spent lots of Sunday afternoons at my grandparents eating grilled cheese sandwiches and Fritos while watching Wild Kingdom and Wonderful World of Disney. Lots of memories there. Of course I had to sing along with the Mutual of Omaha jingle every time it played.

RIP.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

HankB

• friend
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2019, 11:35:21 AM »
Spent lots of Sunday afternoons at my grandparents eating grilled cheese sandwiches and Fritos while watching Wild Kingdom and Wonderful World of Disney. Lots of memories there. Of course I had to sing along with the Mutual of Omaha jingle every time it played.
Similar to how I remember seeing this show - watching TV in the living room at my grandparent's house while the adults were doing something else like playing pinochle in the kitchen. (Usually there was a Flash Gordon serial on before Wild Kingdom.) Even as a younster, it was Jim Fowler who seemed to be the one who knew what he was doing, and Marlin Perkins was a nature faker.

RIP, JF.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2019, 02:03:43 PM »
Marlin: While Jim is off risking life and limb wrestling the 30ft anaconda I'll be getting to know a local native girl better in my tent

Uhm.... Bloom County, right? Opus the Penguin watching TV...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2019, 02:07:24 PM »
I just checked, and I was surprised to see that Mutual of Omaha still has an Native American head in a war bonnet as their logo.  I would have thought that was changed years ago.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2019, 02:11:10 PM »
Uhm.... Bloom County, right? Opus the Penguin watching TV...

Yep I think that's where I'm remembering that from!
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2019, 07:58:37 PM »

RIP.

Brad

Must have been a weird time warpy retread thing going on,  My grandparents did almost exactly that with us in the late 80's.  Usually city chicken and pretzels for us though.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2019, 01:03:16 PM »
RIP.

I remember watching that show in my grandma's living room.

I was fortunate enough to meet Jim a few years ago when he visited our campus.  He was carrying around hissing cockroaches in his pocket for a presentation!

Got some pictures of him with my children.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2019, 12:11:29 PM »
Guy visits Perkin's grave and statue.
I couldn't help but notice that there appeared to be red paint on the statue.

What happened to Marlin Perkins of MUTUAL OF OMAHA"S WILD KINGDOM?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3fOT2pBLFc
- Calvin and Hobbes