Author Topic: Roy Batty didn't get more life... Rutger Hauer dead at 75  (Read 930 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Last Edit: July 25, 2019, 07:59:16 AM by Mike Irwin »
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Re: Roy Batty didn't more life... Rutger Hauer dead at 75
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2019, 02:14:13 PM »
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2019, 02:15:59 PM »
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die.

Dammit, you beat me to it. Very apropos.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2019, 04:53:41 PM »
Is that the Hobo With a Shotgun guy?

Just kidding.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2019, 12:33:23 AM »
Blade Runner has always been my favorite Sci-Fi movie.  Roy's death scene ("tears in the rain") was terrific.  I understand the actor adlibbed much of it, or at least rewrote it the night before.

he really carried the movie in so many ways

I agree, his performance plus the movie's unmatched ambience.  For the latter I credit the visuals and, mostly, the soundtrack.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2019, 07:12:31 AM »
Blade Runner has always been my favorite Sci-Fi movie.  Roy's death scene ("tears in the rain") was terrific.  I understand the actor adlibbed much of it, or at least rewrote it the night before.

I agree, his performance plus the movie's unmatched ambience.  For the latter I credit the visuals and, mostly, the soundtrack.
A lot of things came together in that movie to make it great.

The soundtrack was done by the same guy who did the Chariots of fire music, Vangelis.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Roy Batty didn't get more life... Rutger Hauer dead at 75
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2019, 08:07:24 AM »
A lot of people don't realize that Blade Runner was pretty much a flop at the box office when it came out in 1982, and it didn't get very good reviews.

Somehow, and I don't know how, my friends and I missed going to see it at the theater. Most likely it was because of a number of other really good movies that were out around the same time:

Conan, Poltergeist, Star Trek: Wrath of Kahn, Firefox, The Thing, Tron and a few others we saw in the theater.

I really wish that I had seen it in the theater. The first time I saw it on TV I only caught part of it and it was on an old CRT, and it still blew me away.

The first time I saw it on my HDTV? Massively blown away.

I have a 40" HDTV, and I'd really like to jump that up to a 60 or 72", primarily just to watch Blade Runner.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2019, 09:24:23 AM »
The fictional Roy Batty also died in 2019.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2019, 08:12:54 PM »
A lot of people don't realize that Blade Runner was pretty much a flop at the box office when it came out in 1982, and it didn't get very good reviews.

Somehow, and I don't know how, my friends and I missed going to see it at the theater. Most likely it was because of a number of other really good movies that were out around the same time:

Conan, Poltergeist, Star Trek: Wrath of Kahn, Firefox, The Thing, Tron and a few others we saw in the theater.

I really wish that I had seen it in the theater. The first time I saw it on TV I only caught part of it and it was on an old CRT, and it still blew me away.

The first time I saw it on my HDTV? Massively blown away.

I have a 40" HDTV, and I'd really like to jump that up to a 60 or 72", primarily just to watch Blade Runner.

I saw it in theater when it first came out and then saw the directors cut on the big screen when it was playing at a university theater. 

The big screen is better for some movies.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2019, 11:20:06 AM »

E.T.       
Tootsie
Fast Times at Ridgemont High
An Officer and a Gentleman
First Blood
The Road Warrior

1982 was the best.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2019, 07:07:33 PM »
Which blade runner version is best? aren't there like 4?
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2019, 09:27:32 PM »
Which blade runner version is best? aren't there like 4?

Two.  Only two.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2019, 09:33:35 PM »
Two.  Only two.

Only two there are. Master and apprent - oh, no, wrong franchise.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2019, 11:27:41 PM »
Two.  Only two.

There can be only one.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2019, 03:06:07 AM »
I think there were close to half a dozen.  I can't tell you the differences except between what I think were the first two:  studio release and later Director's Cut.

I favor the Director's Cut because the added unicorn dream sequence makes a much more interesting ending.

<SPOILER ALERT>

The studio version has, among other things, a narration that I found useful for understanding the story.  For instance, after the big ending Deckard is explaining via narration that the reason Roy saved him was because in his dying moments all life became more precious to him.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2019, 06:45:59 AM »
My brain pharted again.  I was thinking original and sequel, not the 47 different cuts of the original that are out there.
We could start an argument over which of the many different cuts of the original is best.  It might approach the intensity of our corn bread discussions.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2019, 09:46:17 PM »
Raised & drained a horn of mead when I heard of Mr. Hauer's passing.  Blade Runner was one of the two motivating factors that prompted me to pursue my first career path & life long love of the study of matter organized into life.  Of the various edits and cuts I've seen over the years, the original studio with voice over narration by Harrison Ford is the best in my view.  Ties the whole sometimes confusing story together.

Roy's death scene ("tears in the rain") was terrific.  I understand the actor adlibbed much of it, or at least rewrote it the night before.

Indeed.  For me it turned a decent SciFi flic into something moving that made me think about the ramifications of the then nascent science of genetic engineering.  What makes us human?  The means we come into this world?  Or something separate that arises from our awareness of ourselves and of others?  Heady stuff for an 18 year old still in High School to be pondering.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2019, 07:42:52 AM »
I think we're up to 7 different Blade Runner cuts. Doesn't matter, I freaking love them all.

I do like the ones with Deckard's voice over at the end a bit more, but Ford HATED that version. Thought it damaged the movie.