Author Topic: Jack Bauer is a JBT...  (Read 7571 times)

cosine

• Administrator
Jack Bauer is a JBT...
« on: February 17, 2007, 08:55:43 AM »
There, I said it.

You know you've thought the same.
Andy

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Re: Jack Bauer is a JBT...
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2007, 09:06:11 AM »
There, I said it.

Precisely why I won't watch the show.  I watch shows that are pure crap, but at least the heros in those shows aren't violating every amendment of the constitution.....
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

BakerMikeRomeo

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2007, 11:09:18 AM »
I like 24. A lot.

~GnSx

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2007, 12:39:06 PM »
I like 24. A lot.

~GnSx

I watch 24 occasionally. It's not at the top of my "favorites" list, but it's nowhere near the bottom of my "dislike" list either. It's only fiction, so I don't get too worked up over the portrayal of blatant constitutional abuse in the show. My only concern would be that it portrays the abuse of the Bill of Rights as "normal," or "necessary" for safety...

But still, I had to post this thread.

Wink
Andy

Warren

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2007, 01:18:07 PM »
Never have liked the show.

I do wonder though why Jack has not developed a nervous tic that is brought on by the clock getting to the top of the hour. Since it is always around 5 til that something horribly bad happens.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2007, 02:08:53 PM »
Never seen it.  Don't miss it.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

meinbruder

• friends
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2007, 05:27:11 PM »
There, I said it.

Ive been wondering when someone would say it.  I dont watch the show and am more than a little puzzled by the cult following.  Aside from the constitutional abuse issues, the pandering to the patriot act for legitimacy of plot, and the ridicules notion that an operative of any branch of gubment would have so many direct ties to the oval office; its so over-acted that the main character is really just a caricature. 

Ive tried to watch a few episodes and just cant.  Just think, the hero is a JBT and everyone wants to be just like him.  Its sad really.   
}:)>
Artificial Intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.....

Da bianhua

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2007, 05:33:33 PM »
A lot of people I know rave about the show. I've never seen it, but just last week got Season 1 from Netflix to see what the hubub was about. Guess when I watch this week I'll develop an opinion. Smiley
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

BakerMikeRomeo

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2007, 05:33:38 PM »
Actually, that was a total fabrication. I think I've seen 24, like, twice. But those two episodes involved Jack Bauer dropping the hammer on some fools with regularity.

Everything else I know about the show is hearsay and wikipedia article.

~GnSx

Vodka7

• friend
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2007, 06:13:19 PM »
24 is absolutely ridiculous--the tech BS they spout off each week makes me cringe every time, as does the rampant trampling of oh so many constitutional rights.  My friend calls it the MacGyver of the 21st century.  For me, it's a male soap-opera on the scale of professional wrestling and Prison Break (but somehow with more plot twists than either.)  And in every season, you can count on at least three main characters dying, finding out there's at least one or two bigger, badder bad guys than the one you thought was the bad guy, and at least a dozen tortures.

That said, it's still a solid 42 minutes of terrorist butt-kicking every week.

And BenW, the first two seasons are pretty slow.  There's really no continuation between each season, and since so many main characters get killed off it's not worth getting attached to any of them anyway.  Start with season 3 or 4, whichever the mexican one is, then just skip to the current season.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2007, 06:23:20 PM »
He has really weird looking ears.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Dannyboy

• friend
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2007, 06:37:58 PM »
Holy crap, people!  It's a friggin work of fiction, as in made up, as in not real.  Get over yourselves. rolleyes

PS He's more of an anti-hero type character, similar to Frank Castle (The Punisher).  Of course, that came from a comic book so that couldn't possibly be confused for anything other than fiction.
Oh, Lord, please let me be as sanctimonious and self-righteous as those around me, so that I may fit in.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2007, 06:54:21 PM »
There, I said it.

Cosine, your lack of patriotism is disturbing.  Therefore, I suspect you have knowledge of a planned terrorist attack.  Ve hav vays of makink you talk!

Prepare the Yanni tapes!
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

meinbruder

• friends
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2007, 07:35:14 PM »

Cosine, your lack of patriotism is disturbing.  Therefore, I suspect you have knowledge of a planned terrorist attack.  Ve hav vays of makink you talk!

Prepare the Yanni tapes!

NO! Not the Yanni.  Who could have expected the Yanni tapes?
Artificial Intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.....

Da bianhua

tyme

• expat
  • friend
  • Did you know that dolphins are just gay sharks?
    • TFL Library
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2007, 07:55:51 PM »
And BenW, the first two seasons are pretty slow.  There's really no continuation between each season, and since so many main characters get killed off it's not worth getting attached to any of them anyway.  Start with season 3 or 4, whichever the mexican one is, then just skip to the current season.

There are two kinds of 24 viewers.  Some (like me) prefer seasons 1 and 2 and maybe 3, in order of preference.  The rest like season 4 and beyond because it's easier to follow without watching the season in order, and because it's mindless and one-track and violent.  There's nothing wrong with mindless entertainment, I just prefer if it isn't a JBT soap opera with lots of poorly-motivated shootings, torture, political debate, explosions and nonsense technology.

I prefer the dark moodiness of season 1 the best.  Season 2 departed from that, but even with snafus like the cougar situation, the show didn't run off the tracks until somewhere in season 3 or 4.  I really liked the Warner family angle and the political intrigue of season 2.

Season 4 eschewed the political intrigue of season 3, and replaced it with a simple, linear plot with lots of action.  Season 5 relied on absurd political intrigue, and IMO was an unmitigated disaster.  Season 6 is, so far, no better.

I don't understand the total technical incompetence of the scripts.  What would it take for them to hire a competent tech consultant?

The season plot arcs have been crap starting with season 4.  Bauer's and other operative's lines in recent seasons have become irritatingly repetitive.  Most of the other actors are either terrible or have terrible dialog or both.  Some are okay, but are miscast (Carlo Rota -- Chloe's boyfriend -- is awesome, but not as a tech nerd).

I think that might be the key.  The good actors have mostly vanished (Nina, the two original Palmers, Michelle and Tony are dead, and Mandy's probably gone for good).  They've been replaced with lesser actors because there's no need for good actors.  It's action, action, action, political nonsense, tech mumbo-jumbo, more action, action, action, political sniping, action, action...
Support Range Voting.
End Software Patents

"Four people are dead.  There isn't time to talk to the police."  --Sherlock (BBC)

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2007, 02:57:43 AM »
Holy crap, people!  It's a friggin work of fiction, as in made up, as in not real.  Get over yourselves. rolleyes

PS He's more of an anti-hero type character, similar to Frank Castle (The Punisher).  Of course, that came from a comic book so that couldn't possibly be confused for anything other than fiction.

Weird.  I'm old enough to have read comics when the Punisher wasn't an anti-hero at all.  He was an out-and-out villain.  One with a tragic story, but a villain nonetheless.

He was "rehabilitated" to his current anti-hero status in the 90's.
"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Mannlicher

• Grumpy Old Gator
  • friend
  • The Bonnie Blue
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2007, 03:49:10 AM »
first of all, its just a TV show, and a badly written one at that.

Secondly, do any of you REALLY think torturing a terrorist to get the info needed NOW to save millions of lives is a bad thing?  If you do, then you are part of the problem here, not part of the solution.  Most Americans don't have the guts for war, or any sense of self preservation.  Sad.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2007, 04:28:45 AM »
"24" has gone downhill fast - everything about it becomes sillier each season, from driving around LA on streets that are almost entirely FREE of traffic at speeds that must be supersonic (to account for the distances traveled) to incredibly capable recon satellites that are PARKED over the city to immediate recovery from serious injuries and torture to . . .

Well, you get my drift . . . OK, it's not real, it's a TV show, so one expects certain liberties to be taken, but it's supposed to at least be plausible . . . and it isn't.  sad
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2007, 04:45:39 AM »
first of all, its just a TV show, and a badly written one at that.

Secondly, do any of you REALLY think torturing a terrorist to get the info needed NOW to save millions of lives is a bad thing?  If you do, then you are part of the problem here, not part of the solution.  Most Americans don't have the guts for war, or any sense of self preservation.  Sad.

Let me guess....I'm unpatriotic as well?
If we torture them how are we any different from them?
And, where does it end?  Torture a suspected serial murderer to protect future victims?
Human rights are human rights.  If you don't believe this, then you can't support any of the fundamentals laid forth in the constitution and bill of rights.  How can we as a people say its good enough for us, but not for those who didn't happen to be born in America? 
Hypocryte.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Werewolf

• friend
  • Lead, Follow or Get the HELL out of the WAY!
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2007, 05:11:13 AM »
Quote from: jamisjockey
Let me guess....I'm unpatriotic as well?
If we torture them how are we any different from them?

Well there is that pesky notion of intent. Intent matters. The ends matter. If torture is the only method left available to discover the location of a nuclear weapon that will kill 1000's or even millions then it is justified. Of course in the absolutist world it is preferable to just let the million's die - after all in their minds, since the question, where does one draw the line is not answerable we just won't answer it and will let the die fall where it may. Kinda like the notion many anti-gunners have that a naked, raped and dead woman in an alley is preferable to her having shot and killed her assailant.

And, where does it end?  Torture a suspected serial murderer to protect future victims?
See...

Human rights are human rights.  If you don't believe this, then you can't support any of the fundamentals laid forth in the constitution and bill of rights.  How can we as a people say its good enough for us, but not for those who didn't happen to be born in America?
Hypocryte.

BS! We don't live in a digital universe. Black and white are not the only colors. Human beings are not computers - we have the ability to make judgements based on a whole slew of facts and variables. It all boils down to what needs to be done to effect the greater good. That said the problem as I see it is defining the greater good... But that's another discussion entirely.
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love
truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Fight Me Online

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2007, 05:40:40 AM »
The problem is that it is black and white!  We as a people critisize those who torture and violate the human rights of individuals, yet would do the same to suspected and known terrorists. 
And I insist, where does it end?  Creeping incrementalisim isn't just one of APS's members user names....creeping incrementalisim is exactly how it works.  First, its suspected terrorists....but we're okay with that because it might (not will) save lives.  Next, its suspected murderers or child molesters....but its okay 'cause you're not a murderer or child molester, right?  But next, next its anyone the police/government feels like, just in case you're a murderer or child molester.  It's the old frog theory.....stick a frog in a pot of boiling water and he jumps out.....stick him in a pot of water and slowly turn up the heat until it boils, he doesn't jump out....

And just how reliable is inormation gleaned from torture?  If you electrocute my nuts enough times, I'll admit to the overthrow of the Roman Empire!

There is a certain price for freedom.  Our founding fathers understood it and wrote about it. 
Liberals are against torture because they are all soft and gooey.  They don't get it.

JD

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2007, 05:57:24 AM »
And just how reliable is inormation gleaned from torture?  If you electrocute my nuts enough times, I'll admit to the overthrow of the Roman Empire!
Hell, just TELL me you're going to electrocute my nuts and I'LL admit to said overthrow!  cheesy

I don't really care for little Kieffer to start with so I've only flipped through 24 occasionally. I hate guys who are where they are just because of daddy. There's so much damn drivel on the tube these days. Nobody knows how to write anymore. We need another Rod Serling or the "Psycho" guy, geez I can't remember his name.

"Good evening..."  grin
Avoid cliches like the plague!

280plus

• friend
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2007, 06:02:05 AM »
Alfred Hitchcock!

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2007, 08:22:37 AM »

Yes, but the ticking bomb terrorist is a very rare occurance.  Politician dissants (which may someday include gun owners), unpopular ethnic groups, etc are much more common.  Play the odds.

I recall a case of an American officer pulling out his sidearm, firing a round into the ground next to a gentleman recently captured, and send the next one was going in his head if the gentleman did not cough up the location of a mortar team.  This is an example of heat of the moment stretching of the Geneva Conventions, a far more realistic example than "terrorist with a nuclear weapon."   

Does the officer deserve to be tossed in the clink?  Of course not, any reasonable person understands that under stressful situations (and getting shot at definitely counts) folks deserve some leeway.   Some leeway does not mean they are immune to the UCMJ, the War Crimes Act (look it up), and the GC/Hague.

Systemic institutionalized torture is a different story.  It is pure evil, on the moral side.  It is a pure waste of time, on the practical side.  I remember being told by indigenous folks that you torture for three reasons.  Entertainment, revenge or to force a confession.  Not sure how much I'd agree, but they had practical experience where I did not.  So there you go.  None of them expected torture to yield much or any useful information.  There are far superior methods of gathering reliable intelligence. 

Mannlicher, you have a GWOT medal?  I'm just curious.  There are things we do not do.  DO NOT DO.  We are Americans, not some tin pot third world rabble.  Things can turn charlie foxtrot in a hurry.  But there is a huge difference between that and institutionalized conduct. 

Well there is that pesky notion of intent. Intent matters. The ends matter. If torture is the only method left available to discover the location of a nuclear weapon that will kill 1000's or even millions then it is justified. Of course in the absolutist world it is preferable to just let the million's die - after all in their minds, since the question, where does one draw the line is not answerable we just won't answer it and will let the die fall where it may. Kinda like the notion many anti-gunners have that a naked, raped and dead woman in an alley is preferable to her having shot and killed her assailant.

People love to toss that "terrorist with a nuclear weapon" example out there to legitimize illegal, unethical and immoral behavior.  Here's a reality check.  There are no terrorists with a functional nuclear warhead.  None.  Zip.  Notta.  Unlike in Hollywood, nuclear weapons cannot be assembled by slapping random electronics onto a 1kg chunk of uranium, and pressing a button on some ueber-ultra sophisticated triggering device to cause a explosion that blows the world into two halves, causes global warming and kicks a puppy.  Nuclear weapons ain't the easiest to use, deploy and maintain even if you have the best technology on the planet.  And few countries, including Russia, have nuclear technology remotely close to the US's level.

What are the limits of torture?  Just mental/emotional abuse?  Physical abuse?  Sexual abuse?  Rape?  According to the Article 15-6 investigation of the 800th Military Police Brigade by Maj. Gen. Antonio M. Taguba (aka, the Taguba Report), these have already occurred.  I can think of no reason why a soldier found guilty in a clear cut charge of rape of a detainee should not be executed, in public. 

A bit of a side note...  All of the above to 'foreigners'?  Is it ok to do such things to fellow Americans?  What is the threshold?   What warrents torture up to and including death, without conviction or even charges?

But that's me.  I have those opinions because they were drilled into me from the beginning of my service, and I drilled it into my FNG's.  This was the core of all of it: We are Americans.  No further justification is required.

"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2007, 10:06:55 AM »
There are no terrorists with a functional nuclear warhead.  None.  Zip.  Notta.
Not yet anyways...

and kicks a puppy.
Good thing I don't usually drink at the keyboard!  cheesy

I can think of no reason why a soldier found guilty in a clear cut charge of rape of a detainee should not be executed, in public.
I agree. That would send the right message in a lot of the right directions.

But that's me.  I have those opinions because they were drilled into me from the beginning of my service, and I drilled it into my FNG's.  This was the core of all of it: We are Americans.  No further justification is required.
That just bears repeating. Makes me proud.