Author Topic: "The Astronaut Farmer"...an actual libertarian movie?  (Read 1095 times)

Manedwolf

• friend
"The Astronaut Farmer"...an actual libertarian movie?
« on: February 17, 2007, 11:27:50 AM »
I, for one, am shocked.

Go here:

http://movies.go.com/trailer?cid=864293&vid=864294

And click on the clip called "if we don't have our dreams, we have nothing"...wherein Billy Bob Thornton gives investigators a speech about how we have laws to protect from ourselves, laws to protect us from other laws...

And the whole plot is apparently about a guy in Texas who rebuilds a 1960's-tech booster in his barn, designs a capsule for it to take it up, and everyone from the FBI to the FAA is trying to stop him, just because laws must be laws, and it, of course, could be a threat.

DAMN. About time! It really looks like a good "American pride" movie, about...just when, exactly, did we stop wondering, and when was that once upon a time when people could look at the space program with awe and national pride?

I can't believe this came out of Hollywood. "Field of Dreams" with rockets.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
Re: "The Astronaut Farmer"...an actual libertarian movie?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2007, 01:36:26 PM »
This is the first movies in years that I have actually been looking forward to being released so I can go see it.

bob

CAnnoneer

• friend
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2007, 03:28:52 PM »
Should be fun and a nice break from most of Hollywood's streak in horror and hopelessness.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2007, 07:09:25 PM »
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2007, 05:47:43 AM »
I'm looking foward to seeing this since I like Billy Bob Thornton's work.  The premise does sound like a rework of the short lived TV series Salvage 1, which starred Andy Griffith.  Who's work I'm also a fan of.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

DJJ

• friend
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2007, 05:53:19 AM »
Is Billy Bob going to use a concrete mixer as a capsule?  cheesy

TarpleyG

• friend
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2007, 01:49:13 AM »
I like the line in the trailer when the "Powers-that-be" ask him if he's building a WMD.  He stated that if he was, they couldn't find it.

Greg

wingnutx

• friend
  • Danish Cartoonist
    • http://www.punk-rock.com
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2007, 09:09:25 AM »
Looks like a remake of "Salvage 1".