Author Topic: Beets!  (Read 10967 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Beets!
« on: July 08, 2019, 08:29:23 AM »
Who likes them?

Who hates them (so we can thoroughly beat you)...

I absolutely love beets. I picked up two pounds of fresh young beets at farmer's market Saturday and roasted them yesterday. I was going to do them on the grill with some of the Italian hot links I also picked up at market only to discover I was out of charcoal.

Sigh.

So I oven roasted them. Very easy to do. Cut the tops and bottoms off, throw them in a pan with some salt and a bit of oil to coat them and cover with foil. Roast until fork tender (mine took about an hour.

Skinning them is easy -- simply let them cool a bit then rub with a tea towel. The skins will slip right off.

I had some with butter, salt and pepper last night, and now I'm looking for a good summer salad recipe for the rest.

I really should have bought all they had and roasted and frozen the excess.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Beets!
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2019, 09:32:46 AM »
Time to repeat my Costco story.

I used to hate beets, or at least I thought I hated them (as in, the kid that doesn't try them). I really like them now. Costco sells some from Love Farms and I pick them up there on occasion. One time doing so,  I got to the register and there was a problem scanning them. It was crowded and the lines were long and getting longer. The frustrated checker asked for a manager, who couldn't come over, so they had to shout at each other.

The checker yelled, "I need a price on Love beets!" Only it sounded like "love beads".

The manager caught it right away, as did I, and the manager yelled, "What?"

Cashier replied again, "I need a price on love beads!"

Manager (smiling now and trying not to laugh): "What?"

Cashier: "I NEED A PRICE ON LOVE BEADS!!!"

By now, the manager, me, and several others were cracking up and the cashier finally got it. Only a bunch of other people at the registers heard it too and didn't know the context, and they were all staring at me, the guy buying "love beads".  :rofl:

But yes, I like beets. Especially love beets.  :laugh:
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2019, 09:46:38 AM »
Beet greens are great.  Beet roots are not really edible, they are for throwing at passing cars, and scaring small children. ;)

I grew beets in my garden once; thought maybe I didn't like them because I'd never really given fresh beets a chance.  Nope, but that's how I found out about the greens.

Wife and I went to a Ukrainian restaurant a couple of months ago.  I got a cup of borscht just to try it.  I should have gotten a bowl of it, it was really good.  Didn't taste like beets :D
"It's good, though..."

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2019, 09:56:44 AM »
Love beets but the beet greens are even better.
Oddly, I found out I'm allergic to golden beets but red beets don't bother me. (I'm a person of few allergies, not one of those allergic to everything types)
Roasted beet roots are the preferred. We do them on the grill and sometime mix with potatoes and some onion and garlic.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2019, 10:25:59 AM »
"Beet greens are great.  Beet roots are not really edible..."

Beet greens are absolutely disgusting.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2019, 11:38:59 AM »
I enjoy roasted beets, especially in salads.  Until this very moment, I did not know that beet greens were edible.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2019, 11:40:31 AM »
We usually pickle a box every couple of years.  A box is called a "tab" by the local farmers, and is around 40 pounds.  I'm not really fond of cooked beets, but pickled ones are like candy.  We can get them fresh this time of year from the farmer across the road for about $15 a tab.  He will top them or not, your choice.

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2019, 11:42:58 AM »
Until this very moment, I did not know that beet greens were edible.
There is a salad mix of seeds called arugula (or something like that), that has different greens in it.  Red beets are part of the mix.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2019, 11:49:40 AM »
Beets taste and smell like dirt. I honestly have no idea how people can stomach them.

(You wanted to know who hates them, so I complied.)
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2019, 01:20:54 PM »
"I'm not really fond of cooked beets, but pickled ones are like candy."

That's why I roast my beets. It concentrates the natural sugars as moisture is lost during the roasting process.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2019, 01:22:37 PM »
Beets taste and smell like dirt. I honestly have no idea how people can stomach them.

Prepare for your beating, heretic!

I bet you're one of those people who thinks cilantro tastes like soap...

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2019, 02:00:01 PM »
I grew beets with a late season planting in the greenhouse and covered them for winter. Pulled them in the spring. Those were the sweetest beets I ever had and the carrots were also awsome
What we have here is failure to communicate.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2019, 02:12:45 PM »
Stupid thread. I just got back from my new local Costco, which doesn't sell the Love beets. They did have a two pack of jarred sweet pickled beets, so I'm trying those.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2019, 02:15:27 PM »
"Stupid thread."

???

Then why you come back multiple times? Forrest Ben?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2019, 02:18:38 PM »
"Stupid thread."

???

Then why you come back multiple times? Forrest Ben?

I should have used a smiley. Stupid only because it made me crave beets.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2019, 02:56:07 PM »
Mama always said life is like a box of love beads...

One way or another, you're getting in it the ass...

JonnyB

• friend
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2019, 10:58:06 PM »

Son 2 has said exactly that for years (he turns 40 this week). In fact, some people have a particular enzyme in their mouth that causes this reaction. I don’t remember where I read it but a search will likely find the article.

I rather enjoy fresh, boiled or steamed beets. The greens can also be steamed - they’re much like spinach.

JB
Jon has a long mustache. No, really; he does. Look at that thing!

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2019, 11:09:31 PM »

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12568567
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geosmin
"It's good, though..."

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2019, 12:14:44 AM »
The Puke Palace > Beets!

I think that sums it up much more succinctly than I could ever hope to accomplish.  =|

bob

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2019, 07:45:16 AM »
"Son 2 has said exactly that for years (he turns 40 this week). In fact, some people have a particular enzyme in their mouth that causes this reaction. I don’t remember where I read it but a search will likely find the article."

Interesting. Sort of like those people who say that cilantro tastes like soap.

About the only food that I really do not like (but I'm coming a bit closer to tolerating) is olives. Olives always tasted like soap to me, especially brine cured ones. The ash cured ones I've had have been better, but still not great. I believe that most commercial olives are lye cured (ash curing creates a form of lye) so there's something about the ash that does something to the flavor.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2019, 06:36:36 AM »
Time to beet this thread like a dead horse!

Steamed my latest round of beets from Imperfect Produce. Made a salad for dinner last night with romaine heart, cucumber, a diced up beet (all from Imperfect Produce), blue cheese crumbles and a vinaigrette of olive oil, orange juice, and balsamic vinegar, all topped with a thinly sliced pan-seared tuna steak. Pretty damned awesome.

Yesterday I also pickled 2 cans of whole baby beets. That's about the only use I have for canned beets...

Simple to do, too, but everything is done by "well this looks to be about how much I need)...

Drain juice of 2 cans of beets into a stainless sauce pan.

Add about 1 cup vinegar.

Add about 1/2 to 3/4 C sugar.

Add about a half dozen whole cloves, a chunk of cinnamon stick, and some all spice berries.

Bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve the sugar.

Boil for about 5 minutes, then turn the heat off and let the pickle partially cool.

Put the beets in a container and pour the pickle over them. Lid up and throw in the refrigerator.

They'll be good after a couple of hours, but will get a lot better over the coming weeks.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2019, 08:28:37 PM »
I've been eating so many beets lately that I'm pissing red...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2019, 06:33:24 AM »
I've been eating so many beets lately that I'm pissing red...

Ned, dat you?
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2019, 08:22:30 AM »
Don't get the reference.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2019, 11:13:21 AM »
Don't get the reference.

You're talking about colorful bodily functions...
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought