Author Topic: Dammit Harbor Freight (Again)  (Read 616 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Dammit Harbor Freight (Again)
« on: July 12, 2019, 09:45:55 AM »
My continuing love/hate relationship with Harbor Freight over the last few months.  :laugh:

I bought the bottom part of one of their General Rollaways during a sale last month (excellent unit for the price). I want to get the matching top for it, and am waiting for the next sale. The stupid things were on sale nearly weekly before I bought the bottom, but haven't been on sale since. They're not even out on display at my local Harbor Freight right now. Still in the back warehouse, at regular price. With my luck it'll be labor day before they're on sale again.  :laugh:

I am going to pick this up this weekend though:

https://www.harborfreight.com/60-in-4-Drawer-Hardwood-Workbench-63395.html?ccdenc=eyJjb2RlIjoiNDAxOTY0MzAiLCJza3UiOiI2MzM5NSIsImlzIjoiMTE5Ljk5IiwicHJvZHVjdF9p%0D%0AZCI6IjEyOTU3In0%3D%0D%0A&utm_source=1021&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=2819b1_Huge_Free_Event&cid=mEmail_s1021_2819b1_Huge_Free_Event&lid=736,589,645

I'm going to put it into either my third bedroom that I'm turning into a semi-hobby room, or else the upstairs bonus room (but that gets kinda warm this time of the year). And use it as a "tinkering bench" for when I have somewhat clean projects that I can do in the house. Like building ARs (first kit arrived yesterday (damn you Dogmush!)), small electronic projects, etc. I've been eyeing the bench for a while now at my local HF, and it seems to be of solid build quality.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

dogmush

• friend
Re: Dammit Harbor Freight (Again)
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2019, 10:01:17 AM »
I have that workbench, my 3D printers sit on it.

Be aware, the drawers are not full width, and they don't open even their full depth, so you end up having to reach up under the back and dig around for stuff. Kinda annoying.

For reference,  on that picture, the bottom two drawers are open as far as they go. There's probably 6" of drawer still under the tabletop (or other drawer) at full open. 

Little things like to fall in the holes in the top as well. They land in the drawers most of the time.

Other then those two issues, it's a nice bench for the price, reasonably sturdy for tinkering with a fair bit of real wood.

Make sure to use the 20%off super coupon.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2019, 10:05:39 AM »
Hum... I wonder how well one of those would work for a reloading bench, especially if using Lee's mounting plate system...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2019, 10:07:31 AM »
I have that workbench, my 3D printers sit on it.

Be aware, the drawers are not full width, and they don't open even their full depth, so you end up having to reach up under the back and dig around for stuff. Kinda annoying.

For reference,  on that picture, the bottom two drawers are open as far as they go. There's probably 6" of drawer still under the tabletop (or other drawer) at full open. 

Little things like to fall in the holes in the top as well. They land in the drawers most of the time.

Other then those two issues, it's a nice bench for the price, reasonably sturdy for tinkering with a fair bit of real wood.

Make sure to use the 20%off super coupon.

Ugh, that is annoying on the drawers. I can deal with the holes on top.  I doubt I'll use them for their (I assume) intended woodworking purpose, so will likely just fill or cover them. Still, for the price, it seems like a good deal. Already printed out the coupon. :)

They also have that metal bench with the pegboard for even cheaper, but I played with their display and the thing is wiggly as all get out. That would go away if it were mounted into a floor or wall studs, but I don't want to do any of that in the house.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2019, 10:24:51 AM »
Ugh, that is annoying on the drawers. I can deal with the holes on top.  I doubt I'll use them for their (I assume) intended woodworking purpose, so will likely just fill or cover them. Still, for the price, it seems like a good deal. Already printed out the coupon. :)

It is, but for the less than $100 I paid for it, I'll deal. It IS by far the cheapest real wood top bench to be easily found.  If it ends up really bothering you, replacing the drawer slides would fix the issue.  For my use it's not worth it.

Quote from: Mike Irwin
Hum... I wonder how well one of those would work for a reloading bench, especially if using Lee's mounting plate system...

As it sits, I think it would be a little flimsy for reloading. If you got (or made) some brackets and bolted it to the wall, it'd probably be OK. Without additional support I think yanking on a press would shake it a fair amount.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2019, 10:26:21 AM »
"As it sits, I think it would be a little flimsy for reloading. If you got (or made) some brackets and bolted it to the wall, it'd probably be OK. Without additional support I think yanking on a press would shake it a fair amount."

That goes without saying. I've seen very few dedicated reloading tables that will actually support reloading activities without bouncing around unless they're anchored.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2019, 11:44:53 AM »
"As it sits, I think it would be a little flimsy for reloading. If you got (or made) some brackets and bolted it to the wall, it'd probably be OK. Without additional support I think yanking on a press would shake it a fair amount."

That goes without saying. I've seen very few dedicated reloading tables that will actually support reloading activities without bouncing around unless they're anchored.

Even the heavy ass benches I have built myself over the years get bolted to the wall/floor. You'd about need a 500lb bench to use it for reloading without some wobble.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2019, 11:48:36 AM »
I use one of these for my reloading bench. Its very sturdy, but even that wobbles a bit with the presses.
https://www.menards.com/main/tools/tool-storage/workbenches/xtreme-garage-reg-60-adjustable-workbench/60adjustableworkbench1993804/p-1444422659318-c-19492.htm?tid=-3959790078276977286&ipos=6

Screwed 3 of these into the top and into the wall studs behind it, no more wobbles.

https://www.menards.com/main/tools-hardware/household-hardware/utility-hardware/corner-flat-braces/national-hardware-reg-zinc-corner-brace/n275-669/p-1444448916754.htm

Only issue was in mounting my Hornady LnL press- had to notch out the side of the table to make the press fit right.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2019, 02:44:16 PM »
Ok.

My reloading bench doesn't wobble, and it's not anchored. Not having used a lighter one, I didn't realize that was not widespread.
I don't know what it weighs though, I've only moved it in pieces.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2019, 02:53:45 PM »
I used a wood dining room table and it worked great! :old:

I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2019, 06:40:43 PM »
My towns getting a harbor freight, so I'll no longer have to drive 45 minutes to one.

I feel a sense of joy....

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2019, 07:25:03 PM »
Unless you used something like a Dillon Strong Mount to raise the press well above the table, the ram and toggle hanging down (on most metallic reloading presses) would keep a couple of drawers from opening on that Harbor Freight bench. It might work OK for a shotshell press.

Oh, and my reloading bench is very stable, even though it's not bolted down. It's got 4x4 legs, bottom framing of 2x6's and upper framing of 2x8s, and a top made of a 2x10 and 2x12 with 3/4" plywood screwed on. It's bolted together for "easy" disassembly with 5/8" carriage bolts.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2019, 07:41:31 PM »
I use the HF table (without the end vise) for a reloading bench. I have a Dillon 550 in their mount that raises it on one of the corners. It doesn't wobble enough that I notice it. For the price it is a good table but as noted above the holes can be a pain if stuff gets loose on the top. But now thinking about it they could be plugged with a piece of dowel. I will probably do that when I move.

bob