Author Topic: Thousands of parts with fake safety certificates found in airplane engines.  (Read 1514 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
The aviation industry has been rocked by reports thousands of jet-engine parts with fraudulent safety certificates have been installed onto passenger planes.

Major airlines including American Airlines, United Airlines and Southwest Airlines have pulled jets from their fleets as investigations into the potentially catastrophic faults are ongoing.

The scandal has zeroed in on a dubious airplane parts supplier named AOG Technics, which allegedly mass-produced fake safety certificates in order to sell its engine parts to airlines.

AOG Technics has also faced allegations it faked employees and was using stock photographs for fictitious staffers on LinkedIn, according to Bloomberg. Attempts to contact the company were unsuccessful.

With parts from the problematic company so far found in 126 engines across several airlines, questions are being raised over the effectiveness of the aviation industry's safety oversight measures.
According to the Wall Street Journal, the company serves as a middleman in the aviation industry by acquiring parts before selling them to maintenance and repair shops.

And to really give you a warm and fuzzy feeling
The WSJ reported that it visited the company's listed address in London, near Buckingham Palace, where reception and security staff said they had not heard of the company.

A representative for the building that leases the spaces told the outlet that AOG Technics was a virtual client and did not hold a space in the location.

But nowhere in the article do they say where the parts were actually coming from but I have a guess.

America's biggest airlines ground planes as they launch desperate search for THOUSANDS of jet engine parts sold with fake safety certificates
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12595495/airlines-ground-planes-engine-parts-fake-safety-certificates.html

« Last Edit: October 05, 2023, 11:25:59 AM by WLJ »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
So were the parts legitimately manufactured, but lacked the QA/QC and testing to verify quality?  I do not know what the standards are for those parts.

I assume so since they obviously have worked in service for at least some period of time. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Hawkmoon

• friend
So were the parts legitimately manufactured, but lacked the QA/QC and testing to verify quality?  I do not know what the standards are for those parts.

I assume so since they obviously have worked in service for at least some period of time.

There is speculation that some of the parts were seconds (rejects that failed inspection and should have been destroyed), and others were used parts that had been removed from engines and replaced during overhauls.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

HankB

• friend
A fictitious address in London as a "virtual client"?   :O

Sounds like the people running this operation went to some lengths to obscure their identities. Wonder how much "forensic accounting" it will take to track them down.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

zahc

• friend
The LinkedIn page for all their executives are fake with stock photos too. Pretty funny.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Update

Founder of company which 'supplied jet engine parts with falsified safety paperwork' is arrested by fraud cops in Britain over scandal which forced airlines in US and around the globe to ground at least 126 passenger planes
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12837757/AOG-Technics-founder-arrested-fraud-fake-aircraft-parts.html

Before joining the aviation industry in around 2010, Yrala was a budding techno DJ and music producer who performed under the name Santa Militia.

A profile on the artist website Resident Advisor says Yrala started playing techno events in Caracas, Venezuela's capital, in 2005 before relocating to Europe in 2010 and performing in countries including Spain, Italy and the UK.

AOG Technics, which he founded in the UK in 2015, allegedly supplied thousands of parts with false paperwork to companies which airlines use for aircraft maintenance.

AOG Technics is also believed to have invented employees with fake profiles to boost its image and also rented a virtual 'ghost' office near Buckingham Palace to give it an exclusive address.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

RoadKingLarry

• friends
The profound level of hubris and stupidity that must exist in people like that to make them believe they will get away with that type of fuckery is stupefying.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.

This scheme is so vast and ballsey it makes you wonder if whole planes can be fake. Who knows how many Bowing or Repubic or Aerbuss planes are actually flying?  With counterfeit Airwerthiness Certificaits.

I would have said "pretty impossible" before this... now it's "pretty improbable."
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

tokugawa

• friend
Just wait till the DIE initiative gets fully spooled up. Mechanical failures will be the least of our airborne worries.

Lennyjoe

• friend
We have a counterfeit parts program in the Air Force to catch things like that.  Is it effective? most of the time….