Author Topic: Tactical pens  (Read 681 times)

zahc

• friend
Tactical pens
« on: July 17, 2019, 06:27:53 AM »
I've had a Smith and Wesson tactical pen in my luggage for years. It's an aluminum pen which looks typically pen-shaped but is designed to be a decent stabbing weapon. After traveling all over the world with it I had it confiscated at a podunk domestic airport. I was going to buy a replacement then I found out the state of the art in tactical pens has advanced. Any recommendations?
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Bob F.

• friend
Re: Tactical pens
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2019, 07:19:57 AM »
Yeah, a Zebra for under 5 bucks; stainless steel and nobody bats an eye at it.

Stay safe,
Bob
"I always have my primary weapon, it's right between my ears."

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2019, 09:16:44 AM »
I have a pair of Gerber pens that I like, but they are more for the write in the rain capability than stabbing. They do have a nice heft to them,

I also really like the Zebra F-701. The lesser Zebra's have gotten really plasticky in the last couple years, so I stopped using them.

Gerber pen

Zebra F-701

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2019, 10:30:15 AM »
Luke4Deals. Machined from solid bar stock and available in stainless or brass. Lacks the TactiCool appearance of some other pens so much less likely to get the TSA stinkeye.

https://www.amazon.com/Luke4deals-Solid-Stainless-Steel-Pen/dp/B07QJWYWRF/ref=sr_1_7?keywords=stainless+steel+pen&qid=1563373601&s=gateway&sr=8-7#customerReviews

There are also the metal barreled "regular" pen like the Parker Jotter, Parker Classic, or Scheaffer Sentinel. They're plain old click-style ball point pens which just happen to be all metal. Oh darn.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2019, 11:45:37 AM »
If you search eBay for 'stainless steel tactical pen' or 'titanium tactical pen', you will find a large number of listings for inexpensive pens machine turned from solid round metal stock in China.  I have several of them, in stainless, titanium or brass, albeit I had to search a bit to find plain pens without all the tactical sharp attachments or add-ons that get them confiscated from me at the courthouse or the airport.  These are shipped directly via China, and I have discovered that they generally take a couple of weeks to get from the PRC to me in the Seattle area.  It is much cheaper to buy them directly from China as opposed to the same pen on Amazon that has been marked up 400%.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2019, 11:47:51 AM »
Sharpie=innocuous kobuton
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

MikeB

• friend
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2019, 01:24:11 PM »
Sharpie=innocuous kobuton

This. I carry a Sharpie in my laptop bag and when I travel. I also carry a 2aaa sure fire penlight and one of the countycomm embassy pens. They lack the stabby bits unless you unscrew the cap, but even better than a sharpie since solid metal. Nice to write with too.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2019, 02:49:06 PM »
Consider a metal straw.

Unless you're flying to Blighty.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2019, 02:57:27 PM »
I need to clean my phone screen. When I looked at.the thread list I saw "Tactical penis" and I thought WTF?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2019, 03:12:07 PM »
One thing to consider, is that the ebay/Chinese pens often sacrifice usability as a pen to make their price point.  Shitty ink inserts and balls, caps that have to be unscrewed and screwed on each time you want to use it, and weird lengths and balance are rampant in that product line.

Usability as a weapon is nice, but I use mine as a pen way more often.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2019, 04:05:33 PM »
Usability as a weapon is nice, but I use mine as a pen way more often.
I estimate I probably stab about sixteen tangos through the eyesocket with a pen for every time I write with it.  Of course that doesn't count the throat stabbings ... who can even try to keep track of those?

I've got a stainless steel Embassy Pen from CountyComm.  Nice as it is, it uses the pressurized space pen inserts which aren't great for writing so I don't carry it as much as I used to.  Seems to make it into the backpack for flights though.  Doesn't look very scary but it carries some weight.