Author Topic: Amazon and USPS  (Read 1065 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Amazon and USPS
« on: July 17, 2019, 08:58:47 AM »
Has anyone else noticed this? Starting about a couple of weeks ago, my Amazon deliveries went from 90% USPS / 10% UPS (usually for bigger stuff) to zero USPS deliveries and everything with UPS.

I'm wondering if it's a regional thing or if Amazon is cutting ties with USPS.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Amazon and USPS
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2019, 09:01:48 AM »
I think Amazon has said that they're going to be using USPS less.

I got a delivery day before yesterday from USPS for Amazon.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2019, 09:15:12 AM »
Didn't Amazon just recently start using USPS?  Within the last two or three years, IIRC.  I still occasionally get Amazon deliveries on Sunday from USPS.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2019, 09:44:32 AM »
The majority of my deliveries are now coming via the Amazon Prime delivery vans.  A small percentage via USPS and almost none with UPS.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2019, 09:49:41 AM »
The majority of my deliveries are now coming via the Amazon Prime delivery vans.  A small percentage via USPS and almost none with UPS.

I've only seen Amazon vans in Boise. I don't know if they'll make it to the redneck side of the valley anytime soon. I don't care much on which carrier they use, but I did like that my USPS deliveries came around 0900. The UPS deliveries show up closer to 2100.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2019, 09:57:17 AM »
My last two orders from Amazon came USPS.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2019, 11:21:53 AM »
I get Amazon both UPS  and post office.  I haven't noticed any pattern.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2019, 12:30:33 AM »
Trump wins again.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2019, 08:51:23 AM »
Wifey read an article recently that stated Amazon is moving away from USPS, gradually shifting over to it's own branded delivery service.  At some point they are supposed to drop USPS altogether.  How accurate the article was, I don't know.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2019, 09:08:07 AM »
I still get Amazon stuff from both.  I do get some things that are UPS/Fedex that are delivered by the USPS.  I really hate that as the USPS delivery people screw up the delivery periodically. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2019, 09:17:13 AM »
Is Amazon still pushing to having people to install special locks on their doors so that Amazon delivery people have have access to your house?
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2019, 09:34:09 AM »
Is Amazon still pushing to having people to install special locks on their doors so that Amazon delivery people have have access to your house?
Is anyone actually doing that?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2019, 09:37:38 AM »
Is anyone actually doing that?

I think it's popular in the high density urban areas. I wouldn't want it for my home, but would consider one to let them put stuff in my shop. If there were any crime around here that is.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2019, 10:29:02 AM »
No way in freaking hell am I giving Amazon access to my house.

If I have something of value coming, I have my neighbors look out for it. Or, if that isn't going to work out I'll have it delivered to an Amazon locker a couple of miles from my house.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2019, 10:50:41 AM »
Wifey read an article recently that stated Amazon is moving away from USPS, gradually shifting over to it's own branded delivery service.  At some point they are supposed to drop USPS altogether.  How accurate the article was, I don't know.

There have been some articles in the Seattle media about how Amazon is offering low-cost loans and business advice to persons who want to set up an Amazon delivery company franchise.  Thousands of Sprinter vans are being built for and leased by Amazon for this. The franchises in the greater Seattle area were snapped up quickly.  https://fortune.com/2018/09/07/amazon-delivery-service-vans/

In my area, the Amazon Flex program, in which people delivered packages in their personal vehicles, has been largely replaced by the Amazon Prime delivery franchise.  I still see some Flex deliveries out in the way more rural areas and on Sunday.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2019, 02:51:23 PM »
Funny story, took days for my dad to stop talking about it.  I was like "meh, it's just GPS maps being goofy".  Anyways, I'm down visiting and both me and dad are buying "lots" of stuff off amazon.  Dad's house faces a court, but there's a dirt access road behind us.  A young lady doing amazon deliveries pulled up on that, then drove onto our back yard almost to the house to make a delivery.

Dad found it all sorts of interesting.  I just said "front door is the next road over" and was meh otherwise.  We knew about her because the dog went nuts.

Anyways, deliveries in Florida in my area are overwhelmingly by the amazon delivery people.  Makes sense when they sell enough to pack vans on their own.  Deliveries up here in Alaska are still a mix of UPS and USPS.  USPS is mostly for the small stuff that you can fit in a mailbox easily.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2019, 05:04:27 PM »
About a month ago I drove past my old Airborne Express Building,. I had been vacant for many years.  Now it was an Amazon delivery facility.  Made me feel a bit nostalgic that the place was back in operation, doing what it was designed an had done for years.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.