Author Topic: *H-uh.....* (Interesting Amazon Interaction)  (Read 842 times)

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
*H-uh.....* (Interesting Amazon Interaction)
« on: July 18, 2019, 02:23:56 AM »
So I just had one heck of a weird experience with an amazon customer service sup....

Long story short - ordered an item.  2 day prime shipping, Guaranteed delivery by 7/18.  Looking at the order, it's giving me the option to change to 1-day shipping for free.  Sure!   

Give it some time to process... and now it's saying delivery by Friday the 19th....  WHAT???

So I get in touch with customer service....

"It's a technical glitch"...  Sez the customer service drone in Pakistan, or India, or wherever....  Riiiiiight...   Round and round we go, she can't explain how it's a "technical glitch"....  So I ask for a supervisor. 

Now the story changes.  "Well, when you place the order, we put an estimated time of delivery based on where the item is coming from, blahblahblah."  Hold up.  Nope.  It said *guaranteed* delivery date.... Not estimated.

"Well yes, but it's not guaranteed. it's an estimate."

WTF? Did she just say what I think she just said?

"So let me make sure I understand you - when Amazon says they guarantee a delivery date, they don't actually guarantee it?"

Yup.  Got a supervisor at the Bangladeshi call center to admit that they don't actually guarantee it when they say they guarantee it....

Ah well.  Got a $5 credit on a $15 item for their screw up....    Just floored me that they would actually admit that their guaranteed delivery date (especially with Amazon Logistics) is just a fantasy.
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

cordex

• Administrator
Re: *H-uh.....* (Interesting Amazon Interaction)
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2019, 06:39:40 AM »
A guarantee means that if they fail to accomplish the goals set out in the commitment, they'll make it right ... if you complain at least.  In the case of the guaranteed delivery date they'll either refund a part of the purchase or give you a free month's worth of Prime.

So ... guarantee, not solemn vow.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2019, 09:48:54 AM »

So ... guarantee, not solemn vow.

So ... marketing hype, not guarantee.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2019, 10:00:23 AM »
If you like your delivery date, you can keep your delivery date.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2019, 10:46:12 AM »
I've had Amazon orders that were due on a particular day miss by a day or two.  I've gone online and tracked orders that said "DELIVERED" except it was not anywhere to be found but showed up the next day.

The most recent really bad foul-up was on a Sig Romeo6 circledot sight that was due on Wednesday July 17th through the postal system.

Due to post office incompetance, it arrived on Tuesday July 16th! !  :mad:

I mean, really ....AMAZON:   GET YOUR ACT TOGETHER!!!

:laugh: [popcorn]
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2019, 10:53:25 AM »
I've had Amazon orders that were due on a particular day miss by a day or two.  I've gone online and tracked orders that said "DELIVERED" except it was not anywhere to be found but showed up the next day.

I have had this happen so often that I've lost count.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2019, 01:17:42 PM »
So ... marketing hype, not guarantee.
Sure, exactly as much as any other product/service guarantee.  It means "we'll try, and make good if we fail", not perfection.

A product/service guarantee is a commitment to make good on an agreement, not a prophecy.  In this case, they guarantee the product will arrive on a given date or (assuming you complain) you will receive money back or an extension of your prime membership.  Just like if you bought cereal that was guaranteed to be fresh until a given date might mean that you'll get a free box of cereal if you end up with stale product.  Or if my internet company guarantees 99.999% uptime and it goes down for a few hours in a given month they might refund a portion of my monthly recurring cost.  Or if your plumber guarantees their work, if it leaks they'll come back and fix it, and depending on their guarantee perhaps pay to fix anything damaged by the leak.

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2019, 01:57:02 PM »
Most of my amusement came from getting the "supervisor" to admit that guaranteed does not mean guaranteed.

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2019, 01:58:59 PM »
Oh, and every time I have had a delivery either go way late or misdelivered (neighbors a couple hundred yards away, normally) or get lost has been with Amazon Logistics. Even FedEx gets it right more often, at least my area.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2019, 02:50:44 PM »
The only problems I've ever had was due to the carrier, UPS or FedEx. One year close to Christmas they made three deliveries to the dead end road I live on, all three were wrong, the three of us had a package exchange.
Also had a few "signature required" deliveries left on the front porch. One such was a 10# order of black powder. :facepalm:
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

JN01

• friend
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2019, 04:39:01 PM »
Next time make them pinkie swear.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2019, 07:39:01 PM »
I don't have Amazon Prime. So the last time I ordered something, estimated delivery time was about 5 or 6 days.

I actually got it the very next day.  =D
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2019, 08:15:10 PM »
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.