Author Topic: New TopGun trailer  (Read 6373 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: New TopGun trailer
« Reply #50 on: July 29, 2019, 10:32:02 AM »
Birth Name   Thomas Cruise Mapother IV
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #51 on: July 29, 2019, 10:38:00 AM »
We do not speak of Firebirds.

You don't like seeing Attack Helicopters taking on and shooting down Supersonic Interceptors?
I heard that in the sequel they were going to take out a rogue Carrier Battle Group to prevent WW-III. After splashing all of the F-14 CAP first of course.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #52 on: July 30, 2019, 04:09:00 PM »
Wow!

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-7301527/Kelly-McGillis-says-old-fat-Gun-sequel-Tom-Cruise.html

Kelly McGillis thinks she looks "age appropriate" for 62 years of age. I've dated older women who looked a whole lot better than she does. I'm glad she's happy with how she looks, but ...
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #53 on: July 30, 2019, 08:21:20 PM »
You don't like seeing Attack Helicopters taking on and shooting down Supersonic Interceptors?
I heard that in the sequel they were going to take out a rogue Carrier Battle Group to prevent WW-III. After splashing all of the F-14 CAP first of course.

I like seeing that! [tinfoil]  I have the complete boxed set of AIRWOLF!!!!  

Seriously,  the use of attack helicopters vs. Jet fighters was tested at Nellis a couple or three decades ago.  It was assumed the Jets would TKO the choppers post haste, but,  were quite surprised that the opposite happened.
I recall two reasons:

1. The Jets operate high and fast, the choppers low and slow. Most first contact was visual as the choppers mixed in with ground clutter on radar and choppers sometimes do not have radar.  Chopper pilots have an easier time seeing up than jet pilots have seeing down.

2.  The choppers may not go zoom zoom fast like jets,  but they're a LOT more maneuverable.

An additional conclusion was that dogfights between jets and choppers was not very likely due to the fact they operate in different realms and fighters usually are up against other fighters and worried about SAMs from below,  while choppers are more typically antitank, if they're armed.  But, I understand some AH-64s to have Sidewinder missile ability.

Anyway .... I still like AIRWOLF.   [tinfoil]
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #54 on: July 31, 2019, 08:47:54 PM »
Airwolf,  the medivac helo from hell...
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #55 on: July 31, 2019, 08:54:41 PM »
I like seeing that! [tinfoil]  I have the complete boxed set of AIRWOLF!!!!  

Seriously,  the use of attack helicopters vs. Jet fighters was tested at Nellis a couple or three decades ago.  It was assumed the Jets would TKO the choppers post haste, but,  were quite surprised that the opposite happened.
I recall two reasons:

1. The Jets operate high and fast, the choppers low and slow. Most first contact was visual as the choppers mixed in with ground clutter on radar and choppers sometimes do not have radar.  Chopper pilots have an easier time seeing up than jet pilots have seeing down.

2.  The choppers may not go zoom zoom fast like jets,  but they're a LOT more maneuverable.

An additional conclusion was that dogfights between jets and choppers was not very likely due to the fact they operate in different realms and fighters usually are up against other fighters and worried about SAMs from below,  while choppers are more typically antitank, if they're armed.  But, I understand some AH-64s to have Sidewinder missile ability.

Anyway .... I still like AIRWOLF.   [tinfoil]

First rule of air combat, or one of them at least: Don't get suckered into fighting them on their terms.
Or another way of putting it: If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics suck.
- Calvin and Hobbes

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #56 on: July 31, 2019, 10:18:55 PM »
I liked Firebirds! Of course I was like ten or something.

There are plausible scenarios where a hell could engage a jet. And yes it has been proven out for several platforms to carry sidewinders. Sometimes if you see a pic with a Cobra and a Sidewinder it is actually a Sidearm, wonder turned into an antiradiation missile. I think the basic premise is leave someone alone with a hell long enough and they will figure out how to misuse it. The use of Apaches in Gulf Wars to clean out the air defense being a prime example. Or H-60 trucks carrying Penguin missiles making them ship hunters. Or hellfire missiles, or whatever fits on the stubwing. My old helo at one time was nuclear capable. Just when you thought the nuclear recoilless rifle was a spite weapon...
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #57 on: May 23, 2022, 09:34:01 AM »
"I'm old and I'm fat"

Kelly McGillis' Brutally Honest Take On Her Top Gun: Maverick Exclusion
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KekQdxZ5buM
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #58 on: May 23, 2022, 10:03:03 AM »
"I'm old and I'm fat"

Kelly McGillis' Brutally Honest Take On Her Top Gun: Maverick Exclusion
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KekQdxZ5buM

She actually looks 10X better in the video than that photo of her earlier in this thread. She actually looks healthy and 100lb lighter than the previous photo. While there's no way she could portray Cruise's love interest given he looks younger than his age, plus Hollywood expectations, she's not ugly and could certainly portray the love interest of someone in their 60s. She must have really gone on a health kick since that other photo.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #59 on: May 23, 2022, 11:35:11 AM »
She actually looks 10X better in the video than that photo of her earlier in this thread. She actually looks healthy and 100lb lighter than the previous photo. While there's no way she could portray Cruise's love interest given he looks younger than his age, plus Hollywood expectations, she's not ugly and could certainly portray the love interest of someone in their 60s. She must have really gone on a health kick since that other photo.

She has also made no secret of the fact she has become a militant lesbian.  That makes me wonder if that attitude had some bearing on the filmmakers not including her in the movie.  When you think of the demographic they are appealing to, it makes some sense she would be left out.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #60 on: May 23, 2022, 11:48:51 AM »
She has also made no secret of the fact she has become a militant lesbian.  That makes me wonder if that attitude had some bearing on the filmmakers not including her in the movie.

Are you kidding?  In this "woke" age, that's a plus.
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #61 on: May 23, 2022, 12:16:04 PM »
Something is off, too many critics are liking it. So I'm thinking at the end of the movie it is revealed Maverick has been a birthing person this whole time and is pregnant with Kelly McGillis's character's child which he/she proudly aborts in the name of climate change and there's too many white people.
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #62 on: May 23, 2022, 12:32:11 PM »
I am hearing a lot of good things about the movie.  Not just from critics, but from others.  I may try to see it this week.  I do have a long weekend off. 

I heard a couple people I follow on YouTube are seeing a Tuesday viewing so we will see. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #63 on: May 26, 2022, 10:21:08 PM »
Personally, while I'd like to see the movie, I can't stand T. Cruise.

Oh well...

Big Hairy Bee

• friend
« Reply #64 on: May 27, 2022, 09:12:27 PM »
It was more fun than the original!  and that was a lot of fun in 86

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #65 on: May 27, 2022, 10:08:04 PM »
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #66 on: June 10, 2022, 11:51:42 AM »
With a run time of one-and-a-half minutes, new release Top Gun: Predator shows a drone completing the exact same mission as in Maverick, but way faster. 

"This is easily the most realistic Top Gun movie yet," said Navy pilot Ryan "Mayonnaise" Matthews. "It's a thirty-second thrill ride, wondering if the pilot will finish his bag of Doritos before the drone blows up the target."

Thrilling New Top Gun Sequel Shows Predator Drone Completing Same Mission In 30 Seconds
https://babylonbee.com/news/amazing-new-top-gun-movie-shows-predator-drone-completing-same-mission-in-30-seconds
- Calvin and Hobbes

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #67 on: June 13, 2022, 10:29:20 PM »
I just watched it, had some good scenes and quite a few wtf. Not a bad sequel but I like the original better.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #68 on: June 14, 2022, 07:30:04 PM »
After extensive research someone figured out that Top Gun: Maverick is Pentagon propaganda

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mSVzGnKsXw

FOIA’d documents prove that ‘Top Gun: Maverick’ is Pentagon propaganda
https://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2022/06/14/foiad-documents-prove-that-top-gun-maverick-is-pentagon-propaganda/
« Last Edit: June 14, 2022, 07:53:25 PM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #69 on: July 17, 2022, 10:04:48 AM »
My wife and I saw it last night.  A great summer blockbuster movie. Ignore the continuity and other errors.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #70 on: July 17, 2022, 12:31:30 PM »
It’s a very good movie, and Cruise played a much more humble character than you’d expect.

No wokeist *expletive deleted*it either
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #71 on: July 18, 2022, 09:35:09 PM »
 Top Gun 2 - The Reason Maverick wasn't promoted.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaFMMYXb1m0
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #72 on: October 29, 2022, 10:01:07 AM »
- Calvin and Hobbes

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #73 on: October 29, 2022, 01:19:55 PM »
^^^That cat can command my squadron any day.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #74 on: March 11, 2023, 09:47:15 PM »
Somebody didn't like it.

'Top Gun: Maverick' is 'insidious' for portraying 'virtue' of U.S. military: MSNBC editor
https://www.foxnews.com/media/top-gun-maverick-insidious-portraying-virtue-u-s-military-msnbc-editor
- Calvin and Hobbes