Author Topic: Outdoor Life's Jim Zumbo comes out of the closet  (Read 13616 times)

Waitone

• friend
Re: Outdoor Life's Jim Stumbo comes out of the closet
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2007, 01:36:50 PM »
Jim is a long-time friend. He has always said he is not a gun guy, but a hunter. He knows hunting, but not guns or the gun rights issues or sensitivities.
All the more reason to keep publicly mum.  His words will be used against the second amendment movement.  The distinction he used will never be aired.  All we will see is "Hunting guru opposes assault weapons".  The fact that he considers himself a hunter will be conveniently forgotten.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

SteveS

• The Voice of Reason
  • friends
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2007, 01:50:06 PM »
I think Zumbo has a ways to go and I consider myself a forgiving person.  The thread over on THR has gotten out of control.  It is already 10 pages long and there seem to be a high number of first-time posters on that thread.  I don't see where we would benefit from alienating someone that is sincere in trying to make amends.  I am not saying that I believe Mr. Zumbo is sincere, but there are plenty of people saying one strike and your out. 
Profanity is the linguistic crutch of the inarticulate mother****er.

wingnutx

• friend
  • Danish Cartoonist
    • http://www.punk-rock.com
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2007, 01:57:24 PM »
Fistful needs to print out his old sig, wrap it around a brick, and beat this guy over the head with it.

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2007, 03:58:01 PM »
The apology sounds like an apology, and not like a carefully crafted legal statement.  That's something, anyway.  Saying something without thinking it through is the danger of a blogger.  Honestly, I think it's less harmful than the inbred, overweight, small-gunshop owner who the local news crew always manages to find when ever the news turns to gun bans-the one with the AK with the 50-round banana clip who brags about how deadly it is  angry  Idiot.

The damage is done.  Besides, with a frontrunner like Giuliani...
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2007, 04:06:21 PM »
I find his apology almost as insulting as his original comments.

It is insulting.

What really bothers me are some of the unpatriotic comments leveled at me. I fly the flag 365 days a year in my front yard. Last year, through an essay contest, I hosted a soldier wounded in Iraq to a free hunt in Botswana. This year, through another essay contest, I'm taking two more soldiers on a free moose and elk hunt.

Okay, Dumbo, just WHO is unpatriotic here? Because he flies a f-ing FLAG, he's Mister Patriot, while people who are angry that he took a collosal dump on their second amendment rights are NOT?

He called ME a terrorist because I have an AK. He called ALL OUR OUR SOLDIERS terrorists...they have M-16s and ARs.

Apology from this Fudd not accepted. He needs to go away.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2007, 04:20:48 PM »
 angry angry angry angry angry angry

ARRRRRRRGGG!!

The BRADY CAMPAIGN IS ALREADY QUOTING HIM!!!!!

http://www.myspace.com/bradycampaign

Even Remington's top gun writer agrees on Assault Weapons

With important writers such as this on our side, it is clear that we have a cultural imperative to remove dangerous terrorist rifles from our streets, and our woods.

He needs to leave. NOW.

and yeah, that's the real Brady campaign.

http://www.bradycampaign.org/bradyreport/2007/february/mobilizing/index.php#story2

That mentions it as their new outreach blog.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2007, 04:23:43 PM »
I find his apology almost as insulting as his original comments.

More.  I think it's very likely he realized how much of a financial loss he'd take from his words.  Obviously, his opinion is for sale.  Which is fine, his right.   Our right is to see him as the backstabbing elitist "me first, and screw everyone else" type of guy he is.  I haven't read his work, but I imagine he does reviews amoung other work.  Wouldn't his future credibility be on the line here?

The only way I think he could fully remove his foot from his mouth (inserted up to the knee), would be to do a series on hunting with "evil black rifles" and try to convince the bolt rifle hunters that it's worth protecting ALL of the 2A rather than their niche.  Sure, we'd still know that he's a backstabbing elitist snob, but at least he'd be USEFUL one.   

Kinda like Jim March.  We put up with his horrible puns, and he does nice things for the 2nd A.   grin

"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2007, 04:53:29 PM »
The apology sounds like an apology, and not like a carefully crafted legal statement.  That's something, anyway.  Saying something without thinking it through is the danger of a blogger.  Honestly, I think it's less harmful than the inbred, overweight, small-gunshop owner who the local news crew always manages to find when ever the news turns to gun bans-the one with the AK with the 50-round banana clip who brags about how deadly it is  angry  Idiot.

The damage is done.  Besides, with a frontrunner like Giuliani...

Hey.  I resemble that remark!
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

wingnutx

• friend
  • Danish Cartoonist
Re: Outdoor Life's Jim Zumbo comes out of the closet
« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2007, 07:22:25 PM »
I'm told that Remington has severed their relationship with Zumbo, but I don't have a link.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2007, 07:30:14 PM »
Fistful needs to print out his old sig, wrap it around a brick, and beat this guy over the head with it.

I'm working on that, but I really need an assault brick to do the job.  My regular bricks only hurt animals. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2007, 07:32:23 PM »
I'm told that Remington has severed their relationship with Zumbo, but I don't have a link.

On a Sunday? That sort of thing can't happen till the board meets on a business day. I call hoax.

wingnutx

• friend
  • Danish Cartoonist
« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2007, 07:43:16 PM »
CEO could do it, or at least announce his intention.

Boards appoint officers to set policy.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2007, 07:55:42 PM »
CEO could do it, or at least announce his intention.

Boards appoint officers to set policy.

I saw the purported "letter", and it had more mis-spellings than a sixth grader's essay, as well as horrendous grammar.
I still call hoax until I see it on their site.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2007, 07:56:55 PM »
No hoax.  Remington's CEO typed it, bad spelling and grammar verbatim, via Blackberry from his business trip overseas. Last time I did the quick-n-dirty Blackberry missive thing myself, I didn't have Microsoft Office spellcheck my mashing of the tiny chiclets, either.  If he sent it via that immediate method, sans personal secretary checking it on the outbound side, that can only mean he's mighty pissed.  BTW, Manedwolf, do you go by "SBM" over on GlockTalk?

http://glocktalk.com/showthread.php?s=71bde24717ceaa5ef8d5c7a955d164aa&threadid=658706

"You may feel free to advise your people of the following.

Remington is shocked and dissappointed by the comments of Jim zumbo which have been widely circulated on the web. These comments do not reflect either my own feelings or those of my company!

Accordingly we are severing all business ties with Mr zumbo and any of his companies effective immediately and will make a formal release tomorrow to this effect.

We appreciate the passionate support of our right to bear arm arms by all in the shooting sports.

Sincerely

Tommy millner
CEO"
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2007, 08:10:55 PM »
  Saying something without thinking it through is the danger of a blogger.

I went off to do laundry, but I thought about ol' Zumbo the whole time.  When I got home, I was going to edit or delete my posting, because I'd changed my mind.  But it's too late, isn't it?  Rabbi has already quoted me, and how many hundreds of RT'ers have read it?

You'd think a gun writer would be more aware of The Four Rules:

1.  All blogs are loaded, all the time, unless you positively confirm it is off-line.
2.  Never let your blog cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
3.  Keep your finger off the "Send" key until you are ready to fire,

and

4. Be absolutely certain of your target (which may be one thing) and what the trajectory of your bulletin might hit behind it (which is absolutely everything on the entire Internet, forever).

Because

5.  Like a bullet, a posting on the Internet cannot be unfired, recalled, or done over.  It is permanent.

Maybe there should be a Federally mandated cooling-off period for bloggers, eh?

Has he announced any plans yet to check himself into Rehab, so as discover wherefrom what dark place inside him such horrible things came?  rolleyes
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #40 on: February 18, 2007, 08:36:22 PM »
No hoax.  Remington's CEO typed it, bad spelling and grammar verbatim, via Blackberry from his business trip overseas. Last time I did the quick-n-dirty Blackberry missive thing myself, I didn't have Microsoft Office spellcheck my mashing of the tiny chiclets, either.  If he sent it via that immediate method, sans personal secretary checking it on the outbound side, that can only mean he's mighty pissed.  BTW, Manedwolf, do you go by "SBM" over on GlockTalk?

http://glocktalk.com/showthread.php?s=71bde24717ceaa5ef8d5c7a955d164aa&threadid=658706

"You may feel free to advise your people of the following.

Remington is shocked and dissappointed by the comments of Jim zumbo which have been widely circulated on the web. These comments do not reflect either my own feelings or those of my company!

Accordingly we are severing all business ties with Mr zumbo and any of his companies effective immediately and will make a formal release tomorrow to this effect.

We appreciate the passionate support of our right to bear arm arms by all in the shooting sports.

Sincerely

Tommy millner
CEO"

I still just can't believe it till I see it on the company site, YMMV. Smiley Too many poseur hoaxers out there. Who knows for sure it was from a blackberry, with proof? I'm a skeptic.

And nope, don't post on Glocktalk, 'cause I don't own any Glocks.  grin

wingnutx

• friend
  • Danish Cartoonist
« Reply #41 on: February 18, 2007, 08:44:50 PM »
I'd like to see it on Remington's site.

Cosmoline

• friend
« Reply #42 on: February 18, 2007, 09:46:18 PM »
I knew Brady or VPC would jump all over this.  Nothing more we can do about that now. 

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: February 18, 2007, 09:47:17 PM »
I've been watching this thing all day on a bunch of different firearms sites.

All I can say is wow.
Andy

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #44 on: February 19, 2007, 01:27:10 AM »
The last line of the last entry to date at the apology site sums it all up so nicely:

May you be sodomized by a syphallytic grizzly.
  shocked

cheesy
Avoid cliches like the plague!

HankB

• friend
« Reply #45 on: February 19, 2007, 03:30:12 AM »
I added my two cent's worth to the Zumbo blog - my "off the cuff" remarks didn't include the profanity I felt was appropriate (especially when I saw the Brady Campaign was already using his remarks!) but I DID need to vent . . .

Mr. Zumbo:

Your first column, written from the heart, appeared sincere. Unfortunately, it smacks of the same elitism that makes some skeet shooters look down their noses at people who use semi-auto or pump shotguns, or bullseye target shooters who view the "practical" shooting sports with disdain.

Your subsequent apology reeks of insincerity, and certainly would NOT have been written had your first column not touched off such an unanticipated firestorm of criticism.

Perhaps, by your future actions, I will FORGIVE you . . . but I most assuredly will not FORGET what you wrote.

In fact, I'll keep it in mind should I see your name associated in the future with products or publications I might consider buying - it WILL factor into my purchasing decisions.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
« Reply #46 on: February 19, 2007, 03:32:14 AM »
Antibubba, I didnt take it personally.  No blood no foul.  And fwiw, I agree.

Anyway, in the old days communication really only went one way, from media to audience.  In the internet day things are interactive.  And how.  There was a thread at THR about Lee Reloading and some shabby treatment a customer got from them.  It was all over the place, with thousands of people reading this.  Lee had no choice but to back down.
Similarly here, we gun owners are so embattled that something like this feels like betrayal (for good reason).  And the reaction in cyberspace is enormous and instantaneous.  I dont think Remington and whatever other companies involved have any choice but to ditch this guy.  And the sad thing is he could have made his point (that "assault type rifles" ruin the classic feel of hunting) without all this.
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

Art Eatman

• friend
« Reply #47 on: February 19, 2007, 04:25:00 AM »
Zumbo himself is rather irrelevant to the real problem:  The old "They came for...but I wasn't..."

My response was to the print version of OL.  I pointed out that at the time of the implosion of the USSR, Spetsnaz forces in one of the Baltic states were seizing civilians' weapons.  An ABC News film clip showed some of the seized firearms:  A Browning-type O/U shotgun, and an Olympic free rifle of .22 caliber.

If such are seen as seizable by government, how is there any difference for a custom scoped bolt-action "sniper" rifle? 

Is a Perazzi less hazardous than a home-defense 870?

"If we do not hang together, we most assuredly will hang separately."

Zumbo may have apologized, but his words are out there--and may well be believed by the Ignoranti...

Art
The American Indians learned what happens when you don't control immigration.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #48 on: February 19, 2007, 04:33:22 AM »
my response is a tad more sideways:

"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Derby FALs

• http://www.derbyfals.com/home.htm
« Reply #49 on: February 19, 2007, 05:01:18 AM »
Antibubba, I didnt take it personally.  No blood no foul.  And fwiw, I agree...And the sad thing is he could have made his point (that "assault type rifles" ruin the classic feel of hunting) without all this.

He gave a bloody nose to every black rifle user in the USA. The terrorist name calling was the kicker. He didn't apologize for that either. That is why some will never forgive him.
?Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add "within the limits of the law" because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.? - Thomas Jefferson