Author Topic: Outdoor Life's Jim Zumbo comes out of the closet  (Read 13615 times)

SteveS

• The Voice of Reason
  • friends
Re: Outdoor Life's Jim Zumbo comes out of the closet
« Reply #50 on: February 19, 2007, 05:08:21 AM »
Harold, that is awesome.

I also participate in some sportsmen forums.  The response has been similar, in that most hunters think Zumbo is wrong.  Strangely enough, a week prior, an article by Zumbo bashing QDM was being discussed.  There wer many that were saying Zumbo was off his rocker and going downhill.  I guess I know te answer to that now.
Profanity is the linguistic crutch of the inarticulate mother****er.

Eleven Mike

• friends
  • All your desert are belong to us.
« Reply #51 on: February 19, 2007, 05:22:22 AM »
Sorry for my ignorance, but what is a QDM?

And is Jim Zumbo gay, or not?   smiley

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
« Reply #52 on: February 19, 2007, 05:23:22 AM »
Quasi-demonic militaria?
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

Derby FALs

• http://www.derbyfals.com/home.htm
« Reply #53 on: February 19, 2007, 05:57:57 AM »
http://www.qdma.org/  Quality Deer Management
?Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add "within the limits of the law" because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.? - Thomas Jefferson

SteveS

• The Voice of Reason
  • friends
« Reply #54 on: February 19, 2007, 06:00:51 AM »

I still just can't believe it till I see it on the company site, YMMV. Smiley Too many poseur hoaxers out there. Who knows for sure it was from a blackberry, with proof? I'm a skeptic.

And nope, don't post on Glocktalk, 'cause I don't own any Glocks.  grin

Here you go (upper right corner):
http://www.remington.com/

I read some of the posts on the Brady My-Space Blog.  As bad as Zumbo is, I'd have to say that some of the foul-mouthed, poor spelling, bad grammar, defenders of our side don't do us any favors either.  Didn't Zumbo teach us that you should think before you post?

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #55 on: February 19, 2007, 06:13:15 AM »
I just found that myself...Yup, I'll accept that as proof!

Way to go, Remington! On the other hand, Outdoor Life's chief editor released a simpering complicit letter saying that while he doesn't agree with the sentiment, he's a Good Guy, etc, etc...they'll apparently still be carrying him.

Remington has my respect. Outdoor Life is apparently more with the Fudd agenda. They're even having employees, apparently, post in the blog with appeasement messages about what a "down to earth" guy he is, "Speaking with Jim is very much like speaking with one of the guys you have known for years at the hunting camp." etc, etc. I do marketing. I can tell a meeting-written bit of preapproved smarmy "fake testimonial" when I see it. That's really weak.

NOTICE: Remington is in the process of severing our sponsorships with Mr. Zumbo.  Remington in no way shares or advocates any of the comments made by Mr. Zumbo on his blog site.  A formal announcement will be released by noon today.

BTW, the Brady Campaign's blog, thus emboldened, has also just put up a screed calling for the banning of all "sniper rifles" and military calibers, with extra bits about how scopes and the 30-30 round are meant to kill people, and how we ought to be more like France.

I hope Dumbo is satisfied.

SteveS

• The Voice of Reason
  • friends
« Reply #56 on: February 19, 2007, 07:14:35 AM »
Depending on what happens next, I am willing to forgive OL, or Zumbo for that matter.  It will take mor than an AR hunt with Ted Nugent, but I believe that we benefit in the long run with having more allies.  That being said, he has some major work to do.  A written apology and a retraction of his call for a ban would be a good start. 

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #57 on: February 19, 2007, 08:20:44 AM »
Depending on what happens next, I am willing to forgive OL, or Zumbo for that matter.  It will take mor than an AR hunt with Ted Nugent, but I believe that we benefit in the long run with having more allies.  That being said, he has some major work to do.  A written apology and a retraction of his call for a ban would be a good start. 

It's too late. He was a "professional" who opened his big fat mouth, and now the Brady Foundation is running with it. The damage is done. If anything could get the AWB II out of committee, this could. This was the writing equivalent of a negligent discharge that's seriously wounded a bystander. There's a price to pay for doing that, no excuses.

And his "apology" wasn't. It was "ohhh, I'm patriotic because I fly the flag..." HE DID NOT APOLOGIZE FOR CALLING ME A TERRORIST.

Bullsh*t. He can rot in hell.

Ezekiel

• friend
  • Intellectual Masturbationist
« Reply #58 on: February 19, 2007, 08:53:05 AM »
HE DID NOT APOLOGIZE FOR CALLING ME A TERRORIST.

"And?"

What makes you think he has to?

ARE you a terrorist?  No?  Was he addressing you, personally?  No?

Who cares?  (Seriously)
Zeke

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #59 on: February 19, 2007, 08:58:39 AM »
HE DID NOT APOLOGIZE FOR CALLING ME A TERRORIST.

"And?"

What makes you think he has to?

ARE you a terrorist?  No?  Was he addressing you, personally?  No?

Who cares?  (Seriously)

I care because the Bradyites have taken his statements and are running with them...and didn't even have to take them out of context.

If an AR or AK is a terrorist rifle, as he said, then someone who uses one is, necessarily, a terrorist. That would include all of our fighting men and women protecting our very freedoms.

I find it even more ironic, as my AK's never been pointed at another living thing, and that blowhard's idea of a good time is to go on canned hunts in a vehicle to blow away as many coyotes as possible with a scoped rifle. I have contempt for such Fudds, but I support their right to hunt. If he doesn't support my right to have an AK, or to hunt for food with it should I have to or want to, then he's an enemy....and an elitist at that. Some people hunt with an $89 SKS because they aren't given $2000 custom rifles by a (former) sponsor like he was. He called for a ban, not that he just didn't think they were suitable for hunting. A BAN.

I suggest you read the blog replies over there, Ezekiel. Your opinion is outnumbered by about literally 5000 to 1.

wingnutx

• friend
  • Danish Cartoonist
    • http://www.punk-rock.com
« Reply #60 on: February 19, 2007, 09:03:20 AM »
An ABC News film clip showed some of the seized firearms:  A Browning-type O/U shotgun, and an Olympic free rifle of .22 caliber.

If such are seen as seizable by government, how is there any difference for a custom scoped bolt-action "sniper" rifle? 

My grandmother's .22 caliber Remington 241 was outlawed under the assault weapons ban, since it was a take-down rifle.

Ezekiel

• friend
« Reply #61 on: February 19, 2007, 09:23:31 AM »
Then what is your issue?  I'm happy to show you mine, friend!  (I posted this on THR.)

His statement is an opinion, it's a perfectly valid (because it is HIS) opinion, and he has a right to have it.

You know, things like AR-15's are assault rifles.  Assault rifles are -- without question -- readily used in terroristic (force change through fear, intimidation, force, et al) fashion, including by our military.

Does that make anyone who carries/uses one a terrorist?  "Of course not."

The rabid gun world -- including the variety of knee-jerk nutjobs in this very thread who have gone nuclear with their comments -- is reacting as if it does.

It is this emboldened and radical dogma, spilling out in "Cold, Dead Hands" fashion, that creates the firestorm and burdens responsible gun owners with ridiculously horrific stereotype: not the single-note opinion of a lone blogger.  (Bah!)

In general, gun owners give firearm ownership a bad name, not those that seek to limit it.

Own what you desire, use it for it's intended purpose, and don't be a dumbass by appearing the knee-jerk radical.  It's not complicated.

I suggest you read the blog replies over there, Ezekiel. Your opinion is outnumbered by about literally 5000 to 1.
Zeke

wingnutx

• friend
  • Danish Cartoonist
    • http://www.punk-rock.com
« Reply #62 on: February 19, 2007, 09:25:25 AM »

You know, things like AR-15's are assault rifles. 

Sorry, no select fire means it is not an assault rifle.

Thanks for playing, though.

Ezekiel

• friend
« Reply #63 on: February 19, 2007, 09:29:30 AM »
(sigh)  So you desire the nomenclature "assault weapon?"  Do you want to talk about bayonet mounts?

Irrelevant.

Point remains the same.

You know, things like AR-15's are assault rifles. 

Sorry, no select fire means it is not an assault rifle.

Thanks for playing, though.
Zeke

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #64 on: February 19, 2007, 09:30:59 AM »
Looks like OL maybe think of dumping Dumbo also.  Look what is on their blog page now.

Statement from Outdoor Life
Due to the controversy surrounding Jim Zumbos recent postings, Outdoor Life has decided to discontinue the Hunting With Zumbo blog for the time being. Outdoor Life has always been, and will always be, a steadfast supporter of our Second Amendment rights, which do not make distinctions based on the looks of the firearms we choose to own, shoot and take hunting. Please direct any comments you have to OLletters@time4.com.

February 19, 2007 in Hunting | Permalink
Statement from Outdoor Life
Due to the controversy surrounding Jim Zumbos recent postings, Outdoor Life has decided to discontinue the Hunting With Zumbo blog for the time being. Outdoor Life has always been, and will always be, a steadfast supporter of our Second Amendment rights, which do not make distinctions based on the looks of the firearms we choose to own, shoot and take hunting. Please direct any comments you have to  OLletters@time4.com.

February 16, 2007 in Hunting | Permalink | Comments (3553)
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #65 on: February 19, 2007, 09:33:31 AM »
In regards to Outdoor Life, methinks Mr. Zumbo just found himself promoted to the position of subscriber.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #66 on: February 19, 2007, 09:36:25 AM »
He has the right to his opinion.

Posting it on a commercial enterprises blog
and insulting the customer base of a major sponsor is where he got sideways.

Most of us have typed once and not edited for future consequences.

Jim Zimbo has learned a newbie web poster lesson in a rather dramatic fashion.

Everyone thinks the one to many soapbox of web 2.0 is such a great thing.
This event is a case in point for the traditional process.
Had Jim submitted his rant to the Outdoor Life print publication stream,
several editors and spin controllers would have evaluated his diatribe and reeled it in.

Now his bell can not be un-rung and I am sure several outdoor publications are
re evaluating the web blog as a positive corporate enterprise.
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Ezekiel

• friend
« Reply #67 on: February 19, 2007, 09:36:57 AM »
These things happen.  Smiley

Who hasn't been "promoted" a few times in their life?
Zeke

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #68 on: February 19, 2007, 09:42:36 AM »
His actions have come home to roost. His career is over. Fair enough, as far as I am concerned.

Personally, I won't ever forget it but I'm ready to forgive him.

Damage control should be the watchword now.
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #69 on: February 19, 2007, 09:43:02 AM »
Well, Zeke and Zumbo already branded me a terrorist because I own an AR-15 and AK semiauto rifle. 

Just a couple questions Zeke.  How many firearms do you own? How long do you plan on keeping them, even if they're not "evil terrorist black rifles"?  What Zumbo did was basically throw ALL gun owners under the bus, even if he thinks the walnut and blued steel crowd is somehow immune to anti-gun legislation.  As if, on cue, the Brady Bunch picked up his blog and ran with it...

"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #70 on: February 19, 2007, 09:51:11 AM »
While I don't own an AR-15, I do have access to a M-4 and 210 rds of ammo right now.  Does that make me a terrorist?  Well wait a minute.  I am in Iraq right now so I guess I am.  Looks like I need to go buy my AR based rifle while on leave in May.  May not be able to once I return later in the year.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #71 on: February 19, 2007, 09:53:22 AM »
My next deer rifle is going to be a SKS because of Mr Zumbo. 

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #72 on: February 19, 2007, 09:54:00 AM »
Quote from: Ezekiel Troll
In general, gun owners give firearm ownership a bad name, not those that seek to limit it.

That's the funniest thing I've seen in some time.  Thanks.   laugh 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #73 on: February 19, 2007, 09:56:20 AM »
As if, on cue, the Brady Bunch picked up his blog and ran with it...

It also didn't take them long either to post on their blog, calling for restrictions on "sniper rifles" (those bolt actions Zumbo's so fond of...): here

He threw one subset of gun owners under the bus, and the Brady folks ran with it, and then emboldened, they decided to see if enough momentum was provided for them to hit other types of rifles too...
Andy

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #74 on: February 19, 2007, 10:14:05 AM »
Disclaimer: Zumbo's comments were ignorant and way out of line.  Outrageous even.

But how much does it really help the anti's?  If they don't have statements from gun-writers to use, won't they make up some other crud?  And don't they have enough support from "credible" people who fear EBRs? 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife