Author Topic: 50 years today- One Small Step  (Read 989 times)

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
50 years today- One Small Step
« on: July 20, 2019, 08:25:11 AM »
https://youtube.com/watch?v=gg5Ncc9GODY

We haven't returned in my lifetime, but the footage just gives me chills.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xc1SzgGhMKc

That's the radio traffic of the landing sequence. I could feel the tension even 50 years away.

What sacrifice and daring our country had.

And now... We've got more power than those computers in our pockets and can't put a man on the moon. (Yeah, we may be working on it, but we can't right now.)
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: 50 years today- One Small Step
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2019, 08:28:12 AM »
 /|\
  |
  |

Misogynist-Racist.

Still the greatest achievement in the history of Mankind. I still remember watching it live on TV. I saw people are hating on Buzz Aldrin because he said, "Make space great again!"

ETA: Watching that clip,  I wish Walter Cronkite would have just shut the hell up while it was happening. :)

« Last Edit: July 20, 2019, 08:43:44 AM by Ben »
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2019, 11:06:58 AM »
A snapshot of a true hero

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvmFeJu4maU

He, and the other astronauts make the liberal heroes of today look like pathetic sad puppies.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2019, 01:22:31 PM »

Still the greatest achievement in the history of Mankind. I still remember watching it live on TV. I saw people are hating on Buzz Aldrin because he said, "Make space great again!"

Cisgendered, sexist pig!

It's "personkind." Get woke, like Berkley, CA. Berkley just decided that, henceforth, [former] "manholes" in the streets will now be know as "maintenance holes."

I suspect that when the Berkley department of Public Works fires up Google to search for "maintenance hole covers," they won't find many hits.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2019, 01:32:22 PM »
I saw people are hating on Buzz Aldrin because he said, "Make space great again!"

Chutzpah level: Woke-scold

I guess Buzz just wants to go back the days when there were no Latinx transgenders on the moon.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2019, 01:41:45 PM »
Is anyone else feeling kind of excited that Trump has started the process of getting us back up there?

A moon base makes sense to me as a launching point for solar system exploration. I could be wrong about that as I've read little about the challenges of building a base there.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2019, 02:34:32 PM »
Note to self: wife did not like being referred to as a 'manhole'.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2019, 02:55:53 PM »
Note to self: wife did not like being referred to as a 'manhole'.

Unless you meant moonhole, you've got the wrong thread.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2019, 03:17:18 PM »
Is anyone else feeling kind of excited that Trump has started the process of getting us back up there?

A moon base makes sense to me as a launching point for solar system exploration. I could be wrong about that as I've read little about the challenges of building a base there.

Yes and no.
At best we can expect 5-1/2 ish more years of Trump, if we're lucky.
the odds of getting a "conservative/republican" president after Trump are remote as hell, not to mention keeping a conservative/republican majority in the house and senate. When the democrats/libtards eventually gain control of both houses and the oval office it will be over.
 :'( :mad:
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2019, 03:51:52 PM »
Yes and no.
the odds of getting a "conservative/republican" president after Trump are remote as hell, not to mention keeping a conservative/republican majority in the house and senate. When the democrats/libtards eventually gain control of both houses and the oval office it will be over.

A moonbase sounds like a great place for all those pesky Christians.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2019, 04:01:06 PM »
Yeah, Lunacatraz.

I'm glad someone else agrees with me...

Won't do much good in the re-education camps. Nowadays all we have to do is lose big once.  Suuuure, call it paranoia or tin-foil-hattery.   That's just what they want you to call it.

Terry, 230RN

....aaaand....

Yes and no.

Terry, "Paranoia is a survival trait," 230RN
« Last Edit: July 20, 2019, 04:29:20 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2019, 07:40:50 PM »
I was in Florida on a family vacation in 1969, and saw Apollo 11 - from a distance - lifting off.

I was incredibly proud of this country when Neil Armstrong set foot on the moon.

I was equally ashamed a few years later when NASA's budget was eviscerated, the last few scheduled moon landings were cancelled, and the money was effectively reallocated to the bottomless cesspool of the welfare budget.  :mad:  [barf]  :facepalm:
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2019, 11:58:36 PM »
I was in Florida on a family vacation in 1969, and saw Apollo 11 - from a distance - lifting off.

I was incredibly proud of this country when Neil Armstrong set foot on the moon.

I was equally ashamed a few years later when NASA's budget was eviscerated, the last few scheduled moon landings were cancelled, and the money was effectively reallocated to the bottomless cesspool of the welfare budget.  :mad:  [barf]  :facepalm:

And that's pretty much what happened to the Space Shuttle program.
50 years ago we HAD to beat the Russians to the moon. Now we HAVE to beg the Russians for a ride into orbit.
 :'(

moon-4220 by lmmiers, on Flickr

Samuel Adams

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2019, 04:00:59 AM »
Wife1 and I were invited to a friend's house to watch it "on color TV."  The "color TV" was always specified in those days.

So we packed up our 3-month old son and went over to watch it.  On color TV.  But of course, all the transmissions were in B&W.  It was good fun, impressive, and emotional, but I always grinned to myself after that about the "color TV."

It was a great day.

Terry

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2019, 04:05:15 AM »
I grew up thinking that I had a shot at being the first man on Mars.

=| =| =( =( =| =| =( =(

Taking the piles of money we've spent on welfare and shooting it into the sun would have been a better use... 
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2019, 12:05:34 PM »
How Armstrong's “giant leap for mankind” helped perpetuate inequality—on Earth and beyond.
https://twitter.com/thenation/status/1152433467650654208?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2019, 01:23:05 PM »
Stupid Vexing Twit had a good response:

Stupid Vexing Twit Replying to @thenation

Next Weak, a story of How the Light bulb brought about the Dark Ages.

9:35 AM - 20 Jul 2019

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2019, 03:41:49 PM »
Watched it on a portable B&W TV on a picnic table at a campground we were staying at for the night while on vacation. Everyone huddled around it and watched in awe and wonder. IIRC, Right above us, the moon, shining brightly. Will NEVER forget that.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!