Author Topic: Stealing Back Her Stolen Car  (Read 1327 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Stealing Back Her Stolen Car
« on: July 20, 2019, 09:16:58 AM »
With the caveat that a lot could have gone wrong, it's comical that this woman tracked down her stole n4Runner and then "stole it back."  :laugh:

Sadly, it appears the gross individuals who stole it created "the beast" and the owner is going to get rid of it.

https://youtu.be/a91WQYj0TXI
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Re: Stealing Back Her Stolen Car
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2019, 11:12:00 AM »
With the caveat that a lot could have gone wrong, it's comical that this woman tracked down her stole n4Runner and then "stole it back."  :laugh:

Sadly, it appears the gross individuals who stole it created "the beast" and the owner is going to get rid of it.

https://youtu.be/a91WQYj0TXI

Link goes to a seinfeld clip?
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2019, 11:55:48 AM »
Link goes to a seinfeld clip?

That was supposed to be the second link about the state of the car.  :laugh:

Here's the story:

https://carbuzz.com/news/this-badass-woman-took-back-her-stolen-toyota-4runner
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2019, 01:25:19 PM »
I'm glad she got her car back and the thieves were caught but ... it's astonishing to me that anyone today would walk away from their vehicle for even a nanosecond in a public place such as a gas station and leave the keys in the ignition. By law yoiu have to shut off the engine when refueling (at least, I do -- is that the law everywhere?), so how much time does it take to remove the keys?

She's just lucky there wasn't a child in the child seat when they grabbed her car.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2019, 02:18:03 PM »
I'm glad she got her car back and the thieves were caught but ... it's astonishing to me that anyone today would walk away from their vehicle for even a nanosecond in a public place such as a gas station and leave the keys in the ignition. By law yoiu have to shut off the engine when refueling (at least, I do -- is that the law everywhere?), so how much time does it take to remove the keys?

She's just lucky there wasn't a child in the child seat when they grabbed her car.

I guess a lot of it depends on where you live. I've been having a time trying to acclimate to Idaho in that regard. Everybody here leaves everything open and unlocked, at least outside the cities. When I was looking at places, I saw guns laying around on multiple occasions. One open house had the separate workshop/man cave unlocked with (IIRC) at leas 8 ARs just sitting in a rack. Most anywhere in CA, I would expect them to soon be gone.

While I still lock my car in places like Nampa and Boise, I've gotten to where I always leave it unlocked in my little podunk town or the surrounding ones when  I run into the store or whatever. I often leave the rollup door to my shop wide open when I'm gone too.

The people before me never ever locked the doors to the house, in fact didn't even have but one key to one door to give me when I moved in. I still haven't gone quite that far "Idaho" yet, and have changed all the locks and always lock the house when I leave. I also just got a Ring alarm I need to install. I'm getting comfortable on "daytime unlocked" but still am paranoid about 0200 home invasions, even out here.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2019, 02:27:45 PM »
Missouri justice.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2019, 02:46:44 PM »

It took them less than 2 days to trash it that bad?

Honestly enough, I'd try a couple hundred bucks at a local detail shop first.  They can probably clean it up like new.

By law you have to shut off the engine when refueling (at least, I do -- is that the law everywhere?), so how much time does it take to remove the keys?

It might be the law up here, but I know people stop turning their cars off around somewhere between 0F and -30F.  I'm about -20F.  At cold enough temperatures, by the time I'm done fueling the truck isn't at temperature any longer.  Also, at those temperatures no worries about vapor.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2019, 02:54:07 PM »
Some friends of mine had their car stolen. They got it back about a week later, and it wouldn't even start up.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2019, 04:54:52 PM »
She may not have been refueling, but pulled up and ran into the store to get something.

P.S.  She has spunk for doing that, what's her phone #??  =D =D =D =D
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2019, 07:24:34 PM »

While I still lock my car in places like Nampa and Boise, I've gotten to where I always leave it unlocked in my little podunk town or the surrounding ones when  I run into the store or whatever.

Leaving it unlocked is one thing. She left the key in the ignition -- and I'll bet her house key was on the same key ring. She may even have left the engine running. All that's lacking is a big sign that says "STEAL ME NOW!"

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2019, 09:08:59 PM »
Yes, she probably did leave it running.  It's hot out.  It's the middle of July.  Leave the engine running to keep the A/C running.  But....

Nevermind.  You are correct, the owner should be burned at the stake for leaving her car unlocked when she ran in to grab a bottle of water or the like.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2019, 10:15:59 PM »
Yes, she probably did leave it running.  It's hot out.  It's the middle of July.  Leave the engine running to keep the A/C running.  But....

Nevermind.  You are correct, the owner should be burned at the stake for leaving her car unlocked when she ran in to grab a bottle of water or the like.

???

I have it on good authority that, unless there's a serious problem with the vehicle, the air-conditioning will resume as soon as the engine is restarted.

I don't think burning at the stake is called for in this instance. Perhaps she has learned the lesson already.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2019, 03:41:49 AM »
The name "Reno" put me off, but that's my baggage.  Good for her.  It's an interesting example of "taking the law into your own hands."

Leaving the engine running for the A/C?  I guess it depends on the weather and the vehicle.  My little Subie station wagon with maybe 50% glass sure gets hot quick if it's parked in any kind of direct sun.

I put up with it, but I've thought of using two keys, one for keeping it running while locked, one for getting back in, but haven't actually done it.  (And this is just ordinary $7.00 key shop keys, of which I have extras anyhow, not the $100 electronic ones.)

Just seems awkward, so as mentioned, I just put up with the hot car on my return.  I do try to park facing away from the sun if it's convenient, just to keep the driver's area cool. Ish.

Terry
« Last Edit: July 21, 2019, 04:18:28 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2019, 02:25:48 AM »
I put up with it, but I've thought of using two keys, one for keeping it running while locked, one for getting back in, but haven't actually done it.  (And this is just ordinary $7.00 key shop keys, of which I have extras anyhow, not the $100 electronic ones.)

I have a remote car starter.  I can keep my engine running with the doors locked, and if you dare to touch the brake or clutch it'll kill the engine anyways.

If you separate the remote and the key for some models you can lock the door with the remote while the key is still inside.

Not sure how to handle the newest keyless cars that use the fob's presence to enable starting the car.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2019, 09:33:27 AM »
I grew up in a town that was, and still is, a gold-plated payday for thieves. Doors unlocked. Keys in the ignition or tossed in the ashtray/console. Lots of tools. Often firearms. I thought it was a dunce idea then and my attitude hasn't changed. There's no "just a little bit" period short enough to compensate for crimes of convenience. You also run the serious risk of having your insurance company point, laugh, and give you a big ol' middle finger for your lack of due diligence.

She rolled the dice and lost. I'm not going to applaud her for being an idiot.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

brimic

• friends
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2019, 08:00:00 PM »
Up until a few years ago, you could leave your keys in your car and not worry.
Then we had a complete idiot appointed to police Chief in nearby Milwaukee who implemented a ‘no pursuit policy’, which gave way to a new criminal paradigm known as ‘rolling drughouses.’
The ‘rolling drug houses had to be disposable, which means car thefts/jackings went parabolic.
In order to meet demand, thieves branches out into the burbs, and now, 20some miles from the city, having your car stolen is a real thing.
The thieves even got so brazen that they started hitting new car dealerships at night.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama