Author Topic: Milt Sparks 55BN Came In  (Read 715 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Milt Sparks 55BN Came In
« on: July 20, 2019, 02:36:26 PM »
After an 18 week wait, my Milt Sparks 55BN came in. While it's brand new, I really, really, like it so far. I had it cut for my TRP, but it fits my "We the People" 1911 just like it was made for it. It's a little off on my Commander sized S&W 1911, but not terribly. It has a belt loop and a belt slot. The loop is tight as hell. I can barely get either of my 1.5" leather gun belts (purchased from other holster makers) started in it. My X-Concealment instructors belt fits with a bit of nudging, and that's what I'm wearing right now.

I got it with the FBI cant, and I think it conceals better than any of my Kydex hybrid OWB holsters. Of course currently retention is excellent. Drawing is a bit of a pain, but that will relax in time I'm sure.

I think I mentioned I was preferring leather again over hybrid for comfort, having gone back to my Milt Sparks Watch Six for IWB. I think I might be mostly switching back to leather for carry at this point. Though I will say that my Comp-Tac OWB has thus far been my best holster for the quick draw. Though it's a little loose on the retention side, even with adjustment of the tension screws. I have one of those for my Walther and one for a 1911, and the one for the Walther seems to work better regarding strong retention while still being able to do a fast draw. Don't know how much of that is related to Kydex + plastic pistol.

Anyways... thumbs up so far on the 55BN for a full-size 1911.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: Milt Sparks 55BN Came In
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2019, 02:42:43 PM »
A holster? Darn it, I read SSBN in the title. I was hoping we had a boomer to take for joy rides and scare the paints off certain 3rd world countries with.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2019, 02:46:45 PM »
At Milt's prices, I would send it back to get the belt loops altered. Maybe send them your thickest belt along with it.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2019, 03:57:56 PM »
At Milt's prices, I would send it back to get the belt loops altered. Maybe send them your thickest belt along with it.

I was kinda thinking that, but then also thinking they maybe molded it slightly tight to allow for leather stretching over time and to adjust for the gun. Better a really tight fit on the belt than a loose fit and wobbling around. I think my Watch Six was really, really tight for the gun when I first bought it. I seem to recall leaving a gun in it for some time and working the gun in and out before I started to carry with it.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2019, 04:46:38 PM »
When I bought my Milt Sparks, the instructions said to put my pistol in a plastic bag, then holster it.  The plastic was just thick enough to slightly stretch the holster for a better fit.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2019, 04:57:44 PM »
When I bought my Milt Sparks, the instructions said to put my pistol in a plastic bag, then holster it.  The plastic was just thick enough to slightly stretch the holster for a better fit.

I'll try that.  I picked it up at the shop and they didn't give me any instructions, just handed me the holster.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2019, 12:13:00 AM »
I've had to do that with most of my good quality leather holsters. Stick the pistol in a ziploc freezer bag, fully seat it in the holster, and let it sit for 24 hours or so.

Fit's perfect after that.  For yours,  I might thread it on your thick belt as well.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2019, 09:10:34 AM »
I've had to do that with most of my good quality leather holsters. Stick the pistol in a ziploc freezer bag, fully seat it in the holster, and let it sit for 24 hours or so.

Fit's perfect after that.  For yours,  I might thread it on your thick belt as well.

Actually did both last night. We'll see how she looks later this morning.